Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Get Amped Tour' Email Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They haven't sent any out, and don't plan to until next week. Evidently they want to make sure that noone from outside California can come...

Hi Doug,

I assume your remark was tongue in cheek, but this sort of inaction certainly gives the unintended impressïon that Tesla is giving preferencial treatment to Californians.

With George being very clear on how this process is supposed to work I have to conclude that this is a simple matter of them not having their act together.

We have had some local Tesla events with little to no notices to reservation holders. This prompted me to complain to corporate about this track record of poor notification of Tesla events.

Tesla is pretty good at listening and acting upon constructive criticism, so I hope they make a serious effort to be more timely on notifications.

Larry

by the by, I'm assuming that it won't be "first responder, first slot". If I were running this, I'd wait, say, 48 hours after emailing the invite to give people a reasonable opportunity to respond, then ensure that the low-reservation numbers who responded in that window have priority.

I also hope that Tesla sends out an email to all events to all reservation holders who have not yet been given a test-drive slot. I travel extensively and could happily test drive in New York, DC, Chicago, or several other cities. No reason to pre-judge where someone might find it convenient. Alternatively, just set up a web interface for people to register for events.

I was speaking to a Tesla rep yesterday and they said that you will need to respond to the email within 24 hours to reserve your slot.

In response to my other questions, there will be no children's jump seats available for viewing or testing. Kids along for the ride have to be able to sit in an adult seat belt. Only one driver per test drive, can't switch halfway through and only one test drive per family (actually he said "per account"). This last one miffed me quite a bit. We have two Model S's reserved because both my husband and I are planning to get one. I would think that our Signature # is low enough to guarantee a spot in Fremont. If our Production # was low enough that we would otherwise get a test drive, I would fully expect to both do a test drive.

And for crying out loud, will they send out the emails already!?! GB stated very unequivocally that they would send them out later this week. It's Thursday afternoon. Is this going to be a "Coming this Winter" design studio situation where they with until literally the last minute (actually Spring) before they get it out there? Saturday night emails this week? C'mon Tesla

Only one driver per test drive, can't switch halfway through and only one test drive per family (actually he said "per account"). This last one miffed me quite a bit. We have two Model S's reserved because both my husband and I are planning to get one. I would think that our Signature # is low enough to guarantee a spot in Fremont. If our Production # was low enough that we would otherwise get a test drive, I would fully expect to both do a test drive.
That's lame. If you're buying 2 cars you get 2 test drives. Maybe you could do 1 in June and one at the July Palo Alto event?

George said that they would be going out in reservation order. Why would the Bay area be first?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry, my understanding based on GB's comments were they would be sent in batches. I am guessing Tesla will be sending the first batch so the emails arrive when most people are at home. An evening post would allow people receiving the email to discuss travel plans available dates with their spouse, girlboyfriend etc. However Tesla sends out the batches, we were told by GB that they would be in order of reservation. Long way of saying I don't think the Bay area folks are getting "first dibs" on a test drive unless they also happen to be first in line.

Larry, my understanding based on GB's comments were they would be sent in batches. I am guessing Tesla will be sending the first batch so the emails arrive when most people are at home. An evening post would allow people receiving the email to discuss travel plans available dates with their spouse, girlboyfriend etc. However Tesla sends out the batches, we were told by GB that they would be in order of reservation. Long way of saying I don't think the Bay area folks are getting "first dibs" on a test drive unless they also happen to be first in line.

Except that if you want to reserve a relatively inexpensive flight to CA, it's probably already impossible.

Except that if you want to reserve a relatively inexpensive flight to CA, it's probably already impossible.

We just gave up waiting and have booked our flights anyway. It's not the best solution but the worst thing that happens is that we get a weekend in San Francisco without the kids (staying with Grandma) at a nice hotel.