Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Fremont, 6/23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same experience with my test drive. I asked for non-perf and they asked me what color I am considering. I said blue and they arranged for a blue non-perf car. I waited in line last for my group, that way I got to see all the various colors up close.

Now that I am thinking about it, I think you should ask for what you want even like pulling aside to check out the interior. Most they can say is no, but I find that the Tesla folks aim to please their customers.

Well, I commented yesterday how quiet and the noticible Lack of Fans there was even after hard driving. I was told by one of the employees that the only time you really hear the fans going at all is during the supercharging operation when the car needs to really work to keep things cool.
While watching the cars start their tours, noted some noise coming from one of them -- turns out the cooling fans were on for just a little while. It was no worse than my ICE when the fans are on upon shutting off the car after a hot drive.

I had the same experience with my test drive. I asked for non-perf and they asked me what color I am considering. I said blue and they arranged for a blue non-perf car. I waited in line last for my group, that way I got to see all the various colors up close.

Now that I am thinking about it, I think you should ask for what you want even like pulling aside to check out the interior. Most they can say is no, but I find that the Tesla folks aim to please their customers.

They WILL and ARE very accommodating. Just follow instructions so you don't get run over or in the way. I was walking around the pit area fro at least 10 minutes after my drive and then I kept going back out there for a couple of minutes to try and find the blue. I got to put my color card on all of the colors as they came through except the blue ; <. I totally forgot to look at all of the different interiors, whoops - there were quite a few different setups inside

So we waited since I wanted a pano performance so we let the first part of the next hour group go first (You can see me/wife an 2 friends waiting by the front of the line in the Youtube link that Cinergi posted on Sunday)

An the Perf Dolphin w/ Pano was MMMMMmmmm yummy

NigelM must be cringing right about now :)

Maybe we could all swim our dolphins to Florida someday!! :cool:
Driving an S is the only way I'd want to go there( / only reason : < I'm made for cool weather and will take EQ's over hurricanes any day)
But I've never been so nothing to lose and really I like most places I travel to, once you find the nice people and pretty areas

I told the first person that I talked to that I wanted to test the perfomance. Then told every one I saw that that was what I wanted. When we went to the briefing, they asked me if I wanted to drive the performance and put me as the first driver. Helped that I had been the first person to the event and got the first time slot Sunday morning. But they were very accomodating with every one in my group.

Spatters

My wife was mildly interested before the test drive. Afterward she was as excited as I was and can't wait to get the car. The test drive experience is awesome, drives like nothing else I have ever driven. We chose to drive the non performance as we are on the fence and afterward I cannot imagine the performance being any faster given how incredible the ride was in the non performance.

The performance was incredible, getting to 75 before you even realize it. Passing on the freeway was outstanding.

The real answer is 0-60 in 5.6 seconds or 0-75 in 5.6 seconds in the performance (per caclulations 76.36 mph). Totally depends on what you need.

Last edited:
Cool that they let you drive the one you want; are all the panos perf, though? I'd want a non-perf with pano since that's what I want to buy. Of course by the time things hit DC, it won't be 10 cars any more, so I guess my options will be limited. Still, any of them will do! ;-)

how did the catalina white compare with the pearl as far as color? I'm looking for places to not spend extra for options :)

I noted earlier that, frankly, I couldn't tell the difference much in the bright sun. FWIW, the pearl white may gleam under artificial lighting (such as in Tesla stores and at auto shows). One of them had a slight creamish tint to it; darned if I can recall which one was that way. I'd say, save your money.

One interesting thing we noticed, there were four seats with the four different signature leather colors sitting out in the sun. All of them were quite hot, except for the white, which was merely warm.

So if you're concerned about black being hot, and thinking of tan instead, don't bother. It makes no difference. Only the white seat was cooler.

(This isn't that unexpected; it's well known that IR absorption matters more than visible color.)