Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get the MyQ adapter, skip the fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just setup the MyQ adapters for myself and my neighbor, these are really cool and work well unlike my tailwind garage opener that is finicky. Also setup my neighbor on the MyQ in the car with the subscription, Its only 45 bucks, but its frankly offensive. Everyone should boycott this nonsense. Yes its cool that it opens and closes the garage as you drive up and leave, but 20 minutes with the livekey app and it will do the same thing between the livekey app and the myq app and 45 dollars saved. Its offensive that they are taking advantage of Tesla owners IMHO.

Reactions: GoodKarma
Just setup the MyQ adapters for myself and my neighbor, these are really cool and work well unlike my tailwind garage opener that is finicky. Also setup my neighbor on the MyQ in the car with the subscription, Its only 45 bucks, but its frankly offensive. Everyone should boycott this nonsense. Yes its cool that it opens and closes the garage as you drive up and leave, but 20 minutes with the livekey app and it will do the same thing between the livekey app and the myq app and 45 dollars saved. Its offensive that they are taking advantage of Tesla owners IMHO.
How does livekey work? Do you just use Siri when you pull up to the garage?

How does livekey work? Do you just use Siri when you pull up to the garage?

It has geofencing, so you set the location of your house and when you drive up to it, it opens the garage, when you leave it closes the garage. biggest issue is really that if you lose your phone and someone knows where you live, in theory they could get in your garage as the door will open when you get near it.

I turned on gps as well. Chose different radius and still no action. It's too flaky for me. I like the MYQ integration because it informs me it's about to auto-open and shows a button to let me skip skip when I'm just driving by the house to run other errands. I don't want to have it open by accident, too many toys in the garage. Let's me know that the garage is opening with a chime. The integration is just well done - wouldn't expect anything less from Tesla.

Its offensive that they are taking advantage of Tesla owners IMHO.

When this was announced I thought how cool. Then I saw the cost.

Considering the MyQ on my phone allows me full access for me it’s absurd that I have to pay at all, especially that kind of pricing just to have the same access on the car screen.

Besides can’t you just say hey Siri and have her open the door as well.

My experience is exactly the opposite. Tailwind is rock solid, but MyQ is fairly unreliable (either from phone or from the Tesla 'auto-open' integration)... I've got both hooked up.

I think the problem (for both) is the phone or Tesla switching between home/garage WiFi and cellular right at the point you want to use it.

Though from a cost perspective MyQ is a lot cheaper (I installed Tailwind years ago, don't think back then the current myQ add-on even existed). Just to be clear, I am using the wireless garage hub and sensor, it probably works more reliable when it's integrated.

MyQ also made some changes to functionality a year or so ago.

I put an all new MyQ garage system in about two years ago. It's all integrated and has no hubs or anything.

At the time if I opened or closed the door I instantly got a notification on my phone. At some point a year or so ago a delay was introduced and it now takes 30-60 seconds.

I'm unclear if things were direct though WiFi between opener and phone and then they changed it to always going through cloud; OR if they just changed something with their servers. Either way I have these annoying delays I can't get rid of now.

Reactions: RonAz
My experience is exactly the opposite. Tailwind is rock solid, but MyQ is fairly unreliable (either from phone or from the Tesla 'auto-open' integration)... I've got both hooked up.

I think the problem (for both) is the phone or Tesla switching between home/garage WiFi and cellular right at the point you want to use it.

Though from a cost perspective MyQ is a lot cheaper (I installed Tailwind years ago, don't think back then the current myQ add-on even existed). Just to be clear, I am using the wireless garage hub and sensor, it probably works more reliable when it's integrated.
Tailwind is connected right at the wires and 20 percent or more just doesn’t work. I’ve had the creator on the phone and still no better. Tailwind also activates when I drive on the street in back of my house. I been promised a fix for 3 years. Live key is able to do it with myq without opening my door when I drive down the street in back of my house

Been using myQ integrated with my Home assistant server and then linked my Tesla with the home assistant server for location tracking. Works pretty seamlessly and doesn't cost me any money and I keep control over my data and access.

When this was announced I thought how cool. Then I saw the cost.

Considering the MyQ on my phone allows me full access for me it’s absurd that I have to pay at all, especially that kind of pricing just to have the same access on the car screen.

Besides can’t you just say hey Siri and have her open the door as well.
I completely agree. Save the money and use the free phone app. All these subscriptions add up!

Reactions: zoppp
unfortunately, the geo location has been very wonky lately. sometimes works sometimes doesn't and it doesn't seem like livekey has any type of support. The livebeam device would be perfect but doesn't seem to be avaialble, all that is needed is something that allows the app to know that you are home or away. I have programmed the shortcuts with livekey for siri to open and close the garage. I may replace the battery in my tailwind and use that as well although I really prefer the Myq.