Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting 19" Rial Luganos, should I get TPMS sensors from Tire Rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

strider

Oct 20, 2010
NE Oklahoma
Hi everyone,

After this set of 21" tires wears out we're planning to get a set of 19" Rial Luganos and Michelin Pilot Sport 3's from Tire Rack. I'm getting some pricing and Tire Rack is offering to install TPMS sensors in the wheels for $252 prior to shipping them.

There are 2 different TPMS systems used on Model S's. How do they know which one to install? Mine came with the original Baolong sensors but we upgraded to the Continental system a year or so back.

Also, will I have to do anything beyond the reset process in the Tesla UI?

Thanks!

The Tire Rack installation for my winter wheels and tires worked fine. When I started driving on them the car popped up a notice that it found new tire sensors and did I want them configured. Nothing else is required. In your case I would recommend letting them know that you need the new sensors.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
Have you looked at the 20" Tire Rack rims? I'm really liking mine (Flow-One rims/Hankook 245/40-20 tires). 4 complete wheels including TPMS shipped to my door for $2K. Better comfort than the 21", quieter, and handling seems unaffected.

Thanks for the reco! My wife REALLY likes the look of the 21" turbine wheels. If Tesla had offered the 19" wheels that look like the turbines back in 2012 we would have gone with them. The Rial's look like the 21's while giving us some more sidewall and wider tire choices. Chewing through a set of 21's every 14k miles is getting old. Also, now that we've moved to the midwest it'll be nice to have some all season tire options too.

Thanks for the reco! My wife REALLY likes the look of the 21" turbine wheels. If Tesla had offered the 19" wheels that look like the turbines back in 2012 we would have gone with them. The Rial's look like the 21's while giving us some more sidewall and wider tire choices. Chewing through a set of 21's every 14k miles is getting old. Also, now that we've moved to the midwest it'll be nice to have some all season tire options too.
you can try to find a set of cyclones. they're a bit like 19" turbines.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: BrokerDon
original questions about TPMS, looks like you had the old system and upgraded, so you can get the TPMS system that Tirerack sells, and your car will detect after you start driving and prompt you. I upgraded my 2013 to the new system and have two sets of wheels. after about 3-5 minutes of driving i get prompted and the car auto detects and updates the tire monitoring.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
you can try to find a set of cyclones. they're a bit like 19" turbines.

maxresdefault.jpg
IMG_4137.JPG
In 2016 I bought a set of 19" Tesla Cyclones for our 2015 P85D with 21" Turbines so we more pothole friendly wheels and all-season tires for our "winter / road trips". I bought them without TPMS (he kept these older style TPMS for his new wheels) from a local Tesla P85 owner with 2 "like new" tires. I then bought 2 new tires form America's Tire and had them also install 4 TPMS from Tesla and they've been flawless.

I considered buying 19" Rial Luganos and tires from Tire Rack but knew I'd never have issues with Tesla Service or tire stores with Tesla Cyclone wheels, finding replacements wouldn't be an issue if I ever destroyed one... Plus ended up saving money buying used Cyclones & tires vs. new Rial Luganos.

YMMV

Reactions: sakimano