Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Ready for Model 3: A Guide for Future Tesla Model 3 Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was mentioned on the latest Model3OwnersClub youtube video "September 16 Tesla Model 3 Updates"
a book was out as a guide for Future Tesla Model 3 Owners (Here is the link to the book on Amazon: http://goo.gl/6yzCnB ) and I think this is a great idea to have a book (or wiki / site) devoted to this very topic. I know that we have a topic posted here Tips for new Tesla owners.

But as with every forum post, it gets off topic quickly. Anyone else have any resources for newbies such as myself that might have the information posted in a easy to digest format? Lets not forget, the mass market buyer the M3 is targeted at will have a very low percentage of people that are willing to skim through 10+ pages of posts.

Last edited:
I would think that after Reveal 2 and when the Model 3 goes into production, there will be a lot of official information on tesla.com about the car, including features, options and pricing. Until then, most of what you read that's supposedly "news" is supposition, speculation and wishful thinking that gets rolled up along with the facts already announced on 3/31 and a few Elon tweets (the meaning of which may be open to interpretation).

Reactions: Booga and Red Sage
It seems a bit early to write a book about a brand new car that is many months from going into production, is unlikely to be delivered to the very first owner before July 2017 (and many think it will be well into 2018), and that we know very little about and that no one outside of a few Tesla employees have ever driven.

The book is written by a guy who sells aftermarket accessories for Teslas.

Reactions: Red Sage
It was mentioned on the latest Model3OwnersClub youtube video "September 16 Tesla Model 3 Updates"
a book was out as a guide for Future Tesla Model 3 Owners (Here is the link to the book on Amazon: http://goo.gl/6yzCnB ) and I think this is a great idea to have a book (or wiki / site) devoted to this very topic. I know that we have a topic posted here Tips for new Tesla owners.

But as with every forum post, it gets off topic quickly. Anyone else have any resources for newbies such as myself that might have the information posted in a easy to digest format? Lets not forget, the mass market buyer the M3 is targeted at will have a very low percentage of people that are willing to skim through 10+ pages of posts.
there is a nice summary of what is known for the Model ☰ on the Model3OwnersClub site that's updated as new info comes out.

I think that is a great idea! Wonder if the author is related to Abraham?

Tesla does seem to know that customers need an ecosystem. If they can recruit people who are off their payroll to provide it, the way Apple does with the App Store and the iPhone cases, customers get a better experience through choice.

I think the book idea is spot on and appears to be the best choice for now. Be patient.

there is a nice summary of what is known for the Model ☰ on the Model3OwnersClub site that's updated as new info comes out.
That is a well done summary of what is known about the Model 3 so far. It is missing the recent speculation, based on now removed code in MyTesla accounts, that appears to show that Tesla will be implementing PPU Supercharging. It also makes this statement "Dual motor options will be available as well as "Ludicrous" mode" which I think is not strictly accurate: Elon said there will be a "performance" version of the Model 3, but I don't think he has stated that it will have a "Ludicrous" mode. That may well be a Model 3 option but Tesla has not confirmed that as far as I know.

I think selling a "guide" to a car that doesn't exist yet in production form is little more than a scam that trades on the Tesla name. There will be plenty of time for potential buyers to get up to speed on the car once the actual facts, configurations, options, etc. are known. As of now such a book serves no useful purpose (other than for the person selling it).

Reactions: LastGas
That is a well done summary of what is known about the Model 3 so far. It is missing the recent speculation, based on now removed code in MyTesla accounts, that appears to show that Tesla will be implementing PPU Supercharging. It also makes this statement "Dual motor options will be available as well as "Ludicrous" mode" which I think is not strictly accurate: Elon said there will be a "performance" version of the Model 3, but I don't think he has stated that it will have a "Ludicrous" mode. That may well be a Model 3 option but Tesla has not confirmed that as far as I know.

Elon did confirm that Model 3 will have a Ludicrous option: Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk

But just so we can have something else to speculate about, I wonder if Tesla will follow the current P100D model and include Ludicrous in all "P" Model 3s?

Elon did confirm that Model 3 will have a Ludicrous option: Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk

But just so we can have something else to speculate about, I wonder if Tesla will follow the current P100D model and include Ludicrous in all "P" Model 3s?
Interesting thought. Tesla definitely has a track record of just bundling in options that are often chosen. Right now you can still get a P90D without Ludicrous (indeed, it's not even an option to get Ludicrous with it). Who knows if this is just a temporary transition thing, like the 85kWh battery was when the 90 was introduced. We'll just have to wait and see.

Interesting thought. Tesla definitely has a track record of just bundling in options that are often chosen. Right now you can still get a P90D without Ludicrous (indeed, it's not even an option to get Ludicrous with it). Who knows if this is just a temporary transition thing, like the 85kWh battery was when the 90 was introduced. We'll just have to wait and see.
Was Ludicrous ever offered on anything but the largest battery? I don't think they will go back and offer it on an option for the P90D but just leave it for the P100D. Difference this time is if you want to largest battery, you get (to pay for) it with Ludicrous.

Was Ludicrous ever offered on anything but the largest battery? I don't think they will go back and offer it on an option for the P90D but just leave it for the P100D. Difference this time is if you want to largest battery, you get (to pay for) it with Ludicrous.
I expect that the Model S (3.0 sec)/X (3.7 sec) P90D probably comes with Insane mode by default (though it isn't listed in the product descriptions). I think Ludicrous mode does, and should, only come with the Model S/X P100D. Makes perfect sense to me. Highest Capacity should come with the highest Performance vehicle. It isn't as if the 90 kWh capacity is a slouch at all. I look forward to a time when Model S/X Capacities are something like 90 kWh, 120 kWh, and 160 kWh.

It isn't as if the 90 kWh capacity is a slouch at all. I look forward to a time when Model S/X Capacities are something like 90 kWh, 120 kWh, and 160 kWh.
Apparently Elon stated in the latest press event that Tesla will be sticking with a 100kwh battery maximum for some time. I wonder, though, how much lighter (and therefore how much longer range or higher performance) would be a Model S/X with 100kwh built from the 20700 cells?

• Informative
Apparently Elon stated in the latest press event that Tesla will be sticking with a 100kwh battery maximum for some time. I wonder, though, how much lighter (and therefore how much longer range or higher performance) would be a Model S/X with 100kwh built from the 20700 cells?
He was answering a question about the Model S, not speaking in generalities about batteries.

...which Red Sage was also referring to. But, yes, we could see other vehicles (the truck comes to mind) with higher capacities some day.
I look at battery pack capacities relative to fuel tank sizes. Once the energy equivalent of 5 gallons of gasoline fuel can be held in an affordable electric vehicle, many of the criticisms of them will be silenced for good. That is, I disagree with those who feel advances in range will magically come from improved Efficiency. You will not be seeing any 5 mile per Wh or 6 mile per Wh configurations from Tesla Motors. It will require increased Capacity to put the final nail in the ICE coffin.

I expect the higher capacities will be necessary for pickup trucks. Otherwise, it will be practically impossible to tow heavy loads long distances at highway speeds of up to 85 MPH and questions about the extreme cases of driving off the beaten path will be unrelenting. With passenger cars, pretty much anything beyond 120 kWh will be for the sake of Performance and the associated bragging rights that come from being able to tell Naysayers, "I told you so!" Though there is also the fundamental benefit of being able to tell them to [SIERRA TANGO FOXTROT UNIFORM] as well.

What I was looking for here was a list of resources to get the most informed about Tesla's current lineup, news and overall EV information on. Clearly this forum is helpful and I read as often as I can (here and S/X sub-forums). I also sub to a few Tesla channels youtube (see below). If you have any other resources you visit and find provides helpful information, please mention them so I can check them out as well.

Model3OwnersClub - https://goo.gl/JSzMj7
James Cooke - https://goo.gl/kACm5i
KmanAuto - https://goo.gl/2y5KYj
Tesla EVangelist - https://goo.gl/FJ9eus
Like Tesla - https://goo.gl/PedYIv