Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Started with first Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

My new Model 3 LR is being delivered tomorrow! I am looking for recommendations on the things I should do first, any tips for getting the car setup in the best way and anything I should know. This is my first Tesla and first EV.

I have my home charging all setup and for wraps etc sorted so just focus on the actual car setup its self.

Very excited so all recommendations welcome please.

Thanks all

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy and heems
First of all congratulations This is a very exciting time. There is not a whole bunch of “setup” but here is list I can suggest. Certainly the car has a lot of settings and this is not meant to be comprehensive.
  • Name and reset one of your trip meters as Lifetime before you drive away. And don’t reset it ever again. Use the other trip meter for any trips.
  • If using Tesla wall charger at home, make sure the internal switch is set for max of your circuit. Otherwise it defaults to a low amperage from factory and most electricians who install it don’t read the manual.
  • If you have time of use electricity plan set up the charging schedule in the car. (Lots of opinion on daily charge limit but the main one is don’t charge to 100 everyday unless you have to for some odd reason. Many threads on this so hopefully this thread won’t get derailed.)
  • Connect your Bluetooth audio and set preference device if you are not the only person that will have the Tesla app as key.
  • Save your driver profile(s) and associate to corresponding phone key.
  • Drive around, get a feel for autopilot and adjust its settings - distance to follow, etc.
  • Maybe drive around in Chill mode until you get the hang of regen and the car capability. Once comfortable move up as desired.
You are going to have a blast. Enjoy your new electric ride.

Hi All

My new Model 3 LR is being delivered tomorrow! I am looking for recommendations on the things I should do first, any tips for getting the car setup in the best way and anything I should know. This is my first Tesla and first EV.

I have my home charging all setup and for wraps etc sorted so just focus on the actual car setup its self.

Very excited so all recommendations welcome please.

Thanks all
Congratulations!

Suggestion to ensure you have nothing else to do after your delivery appointment! Seriously, you are likely to be in awe for some time as you explore and learn nuances. Start with the settings menu, then move along the app bar that pops up (icon next to car icon lower left). This learning process will slow to a daily trickle of something neat and go on for months.

I like the suggestion to set a trip meter to Lifetime (you can label them). I use the other customized trip meter for the season of the year.

Reactions: chrstna4
So first impressions are amazing at least after I figured out how to unlock the charging cable so I could take it out!

Done about 30 miles and really enjoyed my random driving. Love the power and also enjoying the cruise control as well.

Looking forward to having some more time to get to know it all.

Should the app just add the car and start working on its own. I have read it takes upto 48 hours normally.

So first impressions are amazing at least after I figured out how to unlock the charging cable so I could take it out!

Done about 30 miles and really enjoyed my random driving. Love the power and also enjoying the cruise control as well.

Looking forward to having some more time to get to know it all.

Should the app just add the car and start working on its own. I have read it takes upto 48 hours normally.

In the US, when you get a new car directly from Tesla, the app is normally working before you leave from the pickup. You should try logging out of the app and back into it, to see if the car appears. If not, I would contact your delivery center and ask them to add the car.

Its different if you buy a used car, or dont get the car directly from tesla. Those take longer / have different process flow.

I scraped my wheels the 1st week driving the 3 while trying to judge its "cornering" capabilities. You have to realize that the wheels seem to stick out wider than any other car and the friggin rubber does not protect the wheel itself like other cars might.

Two main issues for new owners.

It usually takes some time for a new Tesla to calibrate itself to engage Autopilot. It will not work for some miles as it calibrates as you drive home. Don't try to use autopilot until the calibration is complete.

Also, new owers will probably like to experience supercharging. If you pass a Supercharger site on you way home, you might want to stop and plug in to see how it all works. Best to let your initial charge (if full) run down a bit so there is room for some additional charging to proceed.

Otherwise, simply drive your new car and be simply amazed at the new driving experience.

Congratulations! It's a great car, you'll love it!

I'll second yyzbig6: If you're not used to a car where the rims stick out past the tire, you'll scrape them. I scraped mine the day I took it home. It hurt at the time, but it definitely brought home the fact that I can't get as close to the curb as I could with my pickup.

Here's a thread here with a new delivery checklist, by the way. It's a good idea to run through that when you pick up your car. Sometimes things are set up incorrectly; sometimes there are paint dings or other issues. It's far easier to get those taken care of if you can find them and call them out before you take delivery of your car.

Enjoy the ride!