Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting white stains off black seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1199.jpeg

I’ve had my M3 for 3 weeks now and i mainly wear black shirts, sometimes have graphics on the back. is there a good way to get this off? water wet wipes don’t work

Solution
figured somthing out that works pretty well, chemical guys leather cleaner with a horse hair brush, and their leather conditioner. i will say the conditioner makes it a little too shiny for my liking but hopefully it’ll dry out a little.
figured somthing out that works pretty well, chemical guys leather cleaner with a horse hair brush, and their leather conditioner. i will say the conditioner makes it a little too shiny for my liking but hopefully it’ll dry out a little.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0
Solution
Glad go hear you found something that worked. It's interesting that the leather cleaner worked even though the material is not real leather.

For all sorts of stubborn stains that wet wipes and other basic cleaners do not get out, I have found that Optimum Power Clean diluted 5:1 is a very effective cleaner. For example, I used it to get Marks a Lot marker ink off of my white Tesla seats.

For those interested, here is a link to the product:

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
Try 303 Aerospace Protectant. If that fails, use a small amount of WD40 on a microfiber cloth and gently clean area. Follow-up with 303 or Meguires Interior Cleaner spray.
The seats are polyurethane and attached to the foam below using adhesive. I wouldn't be comfortable using anything that contains solvents or not marked as safe for polyurethane.

Tesla recommends:
"Wipe spills and chemical residues from interior surfaces as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. Then wipe dry using a soft, lint-free cloth."

A widely available source of non-detergent soap is baby shampoo. That generally should clean most things on the seats.

For things that stain, using a good quality paper towel instead of microfiber cloth may be better (so the stain transfers to the towel and off the seat).

Upvote 0
The seats are polyurethane and attached to the foam below using adhesive. I wouldn't be comfortable using anything that contains solvents or not marked as safe for polyurethane.

Tesla recommends:
"Wipe spills and chemical residues from interior surfaces as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. Then wipe dry using a soft, lint-free cloth."

A widely available source of non-detergent soap is baby shampoo. That generally should clean most things on the seats.

For things that stain, using a good quality paper towel instead of microfiber cloth may be better (so the stain transfers to the towel and off the seat).
303 Aerospace Protectant and Meguires interior detailer don't have solvents. No issue when using on my Model 3 seats and interior. The WD40 would only be for tough stains that nothing else can remove. I used the WD40 method on my Ferrari 355GTB to remove blue ink stain on seat from a passenger that had a pen in his back pocket. Worked great. Followed that up with leather cleaner.

Upvote 0
303 Aerospace Protectant and Meguires interior detailer don't have solvents. No issue when using on my Model 3 seats and interior.
303 Aerospace Protectant I'm aware of and it is listed as safe for plastic.
The WD40 would only be for tough stains that nothing else can remove. I used the WD40 method on my Ferrari 355GTB to remove blue ink stain on seat from a passenger that had a pen in his back pocket. Worked great. Followed that up with leather cleaner.
It's probably ok to use for rare cases, but would need to clean off all of quickly so that it doesn't seep or dwell on the seat. I still think however using mild non-detergent soap should be the first thing to try as that is actually what is factory recommended.

Upvote 0
This is what I use. No problem getting sunscreen off.

Chemical Guys SPI_993_16 Nonsense Colorless & Odorless All Surface Super Cleaner (For Vinyl, Rubber, Plastic, Carpet & More) Safe for Home, Garage, Cars, Trucks, SUVs, RVs & More, 16 fl oz, Unscented Amazon.com
Just occurred to me that I forgot to mention that my seats were treated with ceramic coating. Which is probably a big factor in the ease of cleaning.

Upvote 0
Just occurred to me that I forgot to mention that my seats were treated with ceramic coating. Which is probably a big factor in the ease of cleaning.
What brand of ceramic coating did you use? I'm also seeing this mystery white residue in the car, appears after nearly anyone sits in the car.

Just put Aerospace 303 on my seats, hope that helps prevent it or at least makes it easier to get off. It cleans off with Weiman leather conditioner easy enough, but as the seats are not real leather I don't want to use this anymore. I really didn't like using Meguiar's interior cleaner/detailing spray, it just doesn't do the job for me.

Upvote 0
What brand of ceramic coating did you use? I'm also seeing this mystery white residue in the car, appears after nearly anyone sits in the car.

Just put Aerospace 303 on my seats, hope that helps prevent it or at least makes it easier to get off. It cleans off with Weiman leather conditioner easy enough, but as the seats are not real leather I don't want to use this anymore. I really didn't like using Meguiar's interior cleaner/detailing spray, it just doesn't do the job for me.
Professionally applied by Alset in Portland, OR

Upvote 0