Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting XM in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SiriusXM app works for me when I leave it in the Favorites tab and have my 6 favorite stations loaded on the phone. Then set the app to bypass the phone's screen saver and leave it sitting on the charger. It's in direct line of sight and easy to press a favorite station to quickly switch over to it.

The only bad thing, and I wish there was a way to stop this from happening on the app, is when you click on a favorite station it takes you to that screen and you have to back out to go back to the 6 favorite stations showing on your phone. Not that difficult to do while driving, but it would be nice if you could just tap the icons in the Favorites section and still stay in that same screen menu so you can keep pressing through the different channels.

lmfao, like clockwork.

the last comment specifically asked about satellite connection because his wife's commute will be through a complete cell dead zone...and someone STILL comes back with a suggestion about the app. it's comical at this point.

The best way I found was by using the Onyx Bluetooth XM cradle. This way you don’t have to worry about data black holes while driving that affects all of the streaming services... Bluetooth SiriusXM Satellite Radio Vehicle Dock SXBTD1V1

set up the onyx and connect the Bluetooth cradle to your Tesla radio. It works for me very well and with great sound quality. Worth the investment

the only downside to this is that you can't connect the cradle and your phone at the same time. that's the only reason i wired mine via FM rather than with the bluetooth dock.

The SiriusXM app works for me when I leave it in the Favorites tab and have my 6 favorite stations loaded on the phone. Then set the app to bypass the phone's screen saver and leave it sitting on the charger. It's in direct line of sight and easy to press a favorite station to quickly switch over to it.

The only bad thing, and I wish there was a way to stop this from happening on the app, is when you click on a favorite station it takes you to that screen and you have to back out to go back to the 6 favorite stations showing on your phone. Not that difficult to do while driving, but it would be nice if you could just tap the icons in the Favorites section and still stay in that same screen menu so you can keep pressing through the different channels.
The way to stay on the favorites screen is: Go into settings, then application settings and turn on “tune to audio in mini player”.

This keeps the favorites screen locked while the channels play on the mini player on your phone.

The way to stay on the favorites screen is: Go into settings, then application settings and turn on “tune to audio in mini player”.

This keeps the favorites screen locked while the channels play on the mini player on your phone.

This just made my day. I enabled that option and now it'll stay in my Favorites screen and I can quickly change between stations with ease now. Now that it works that way, I feel like you don't need any additional XM radio hardware in the car.

This is going to make my commute into work tomorrow morning much more enjoyable now 👍

Reactions: Mixman
This just made my day. I enabled that option and now it'll stay in my Favorites screen and I can quickly change between stations with ease now. Now that it works that way, I feel like you don't need any additional XM radio hardware in the car.

This is going to make my commute into work tomorrow morning much more enjoyable now 👍
Glad I could help. I was the frustrated too and just started playing with the settings and found that I could lock my favorites this way and even have the info show on the main car screen( albeit rather small) so I can see the song while the favorites stayed locked on the phone.

The best way I found was by using the Onyx Bluetooth XM cradle. This way you don’t have to worry about data black holes while driving that affects all of the streaming services... Bluetooth SiriusXM Satellite Radio Vehicle Dock SXBTD1V1

set up the onyx and connect the Bluetooth cradle to your Tesla radio. It works for me very well and with great sound quality. Worth the investment
Where are you placing the magnetic antenna for the dock on the Model Y? It's all glass up top. Can you have a phone and the dock connected at the same time? There are time I would like to use my phone for navigation (prefer Google Maps or Waze to the Tesla Nav) and might want another device to handle the SiriusXM. I would prefer not to use FM Radio though.

Where are you placing the magnetic antenna for the dock on the Model Y? It's all glass up top. Can you have a phone and the dock connected at the same time? There are time I would like to use my phone for navigation (prefer Google Maps or Waze to the Tesla Nav) and might want another device to handle the SiriusXM. I would prefer not to use FM Radio though.
The top rail on both sides of the glass roof of the Model Y is made of steel. The hatch is also made from steel. The magnetic mount for the SiriusXM antenna will mount to either surface.

The top rail on both sides of the glass roof of the Model Y is made of steel. The hatch is also made from steel. The magnetic mount for the SiriusXM antenna will mount to either surface.
Just looked all around the Y, not sure I would want an antenna hanging on the top rail nor at the on the hatch. I would do the 360L Tour, but many say it's buggy and slow to boot.

the only downside to this is that you can't connect the cradle and your phone at the same time. that's the only reason i wired mine via FM rather than with the bluetooth dock.
That’s correct, I am using XM for long trips and don’t mind having to pick the phone on the Tesla’s screen when it starts ringing to switch… I am hoping that Tesla updates this as the car is definitely capable of supporting dual devices… question, how is the do you find the FM connection? Is it clear? what about the signal when it starts picking up the FM stAtion? Thanks!

That’s correct, I am using XM for long trips and don’t mind having to pick the phone on the Tesla’s screen when it starts ringing to switch… I am hoping that Tesla updates this as the car is definitely capable of supporting dual devices… question, how is the do you find the FM connection? Is it clear? what about the signal when it starts picking up the FM stAtion? Thanks!

there are antenna adapters you can use to wire into the FM tuner, and i have the FM antenna completely disconnected so it very, very rarely picks up any FM stations. the signal has to be insanely strong (and if that happens i just move to a different station, it's almost impossible that i'd be within strong enough range of all five of my presets at the same time). the sound quality is perfectly fine IMO. i'm not an audiophile by any means, but it's my car...i care more about having something to listen to than the quality of the music. it's not like it's AM radio quality...

there are antenna adapters you can use to wire into the FM tuner, and i have the FM antenna completely disconnected so it very, very rarely picks up any FM stations. the signal has to be insanely strong (and if that happens i just move to a different station, it's almost impossible that i'd be within strong enough range of all five of my presets at the same time). the sound quality is perfectly fine IMO. i'm not an audiophile by any means, but it's my car...i care more about having something to listen to than the quality of the music. it's not like it's AM radio quality...

Not to be a wet blanket, but by disabling FM you lose the ability to listen to simulcast AM local broadcasts. That's too big a sacrifice.

Instead, Tesla should add the XM app for streaming accounts. Still wedded to mobile networks, but better than current state.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Not to be a wet blanket, but by disabling FM you lose the ability to listen to simulcast AM local broadcasts. That's too big a sacrifice.

Instead, Tesla should add the XM app for streaming accounts. Still wedded to mobile networks, but better than current state.

just wanted to clarify something: disconnecting the antenna does *NOT* disable FM. it just greatly decreases the range. for strong stations, it still works. sitting in my driveway, i can turn off the onyx and still have a few FM stations that the car will pick up, none of which are even particularly close to me.

also, for that matter, it still works if you leave it connected. i just disconnected it because i literally couldn't care less about any FM broadcasts and would rather lessen the chance that FM is going to override my XM signal (which did occasionally happen when i left the antenna connected).

FM overrides were more frequent with no antenna adapter, less so but still occasionally annoying with the antenna adapter and the antenna still connected, and almost non-existent with the antenna adapter and the actual FM antenna disconnected.

the better option if you really don't want to mess with the FM antenna is the bluetooth dock...but then you lose the ability to have your phone connected all the time. there are tradeoffs to be made either way.

tesla adding the XM app though is not any better than the current state, IMO. there are plenty of canyons around so cal (living in OC you know this) where there's no cell signal and having the car have an XM app that still uses mobile network is no better than trying to stream it on your phone. the area right around my house is one of them...which is why i went through this whole process to begin with. i got sick of driving the first few and last few miles of my drive every day in silence.

Reactions: rxlawdude
just wanted to clarify something: disconnecting the antenna does *NOT* disable FM. it just greatly decreases the range. for strong stations, it still works. sitting in my driveway, i can turn off the onyx and still have a few FM stations that the car will pick up, none of which are even particularly close to me.

also, for that matter, it still works if you leave it connected. i just disconnected it because i literally couldn't care less about any FM broadcasts and would rather lessen the chance that FM is going to override my XM signal (which did occasionally happen when i left the antenna connected).

FM overrides were more frequent with no antenna adapter, less so but still occasionally annoying with the antenna adapter and the antenna still connected, and almost non-existent with the antenna adapter and the actual FM antenna disconnected.

the better option if you really don't want to mess with the FM antenna is the bluetooth dock...but then you lose the ability to have your phone connected all the time. there are tradeoffs to be made either way.

tesla adding the XM app though is not any better than the current state, IMO. there are plenty of canyons around so cal (living in OC you know this) where there's no cell signal and having the car have an XM app that still uses mobile network is no better than trying to stream it on your phone. the area right around my house is one of them...which is why i went through this whole process to begin with. i got sick of driving the first few and last few miles of my drive every day in silence.
As a former MS owner, I totally get why the redundancy of satellite XM was advantageous, and that AM terrestrial radio was important to get information about the roads or campus not transmitted on FM.

That said, I see myriad advantages to a native streaming XM app built in. Channel selection, program guides, etc. on the screen and other features are no-brainer perks.

Reactions: crackers8199