Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM stops working AGAIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most here know, the sirius XM app has been very unreliable on Tesla Model S (and other models). The latest incident is this.
1) Wife gets in car to drive it but reports touchscreen in non-responsive.
2) I come in and reboot (holding the two scroll bars). Touchscreen responds.
3) But now Sirius XM won't work. The favorites are still there but there is no sound when trying to play them. Even the Sirius XM preview channel has no sound. Radio has sound, phone through bluetooth has sound, etc.
4) Reboot again. Now Sirius XM is stuck on Channel 8. Still no sound. Cannot even switch to another Sirius channel. Radio, phone, etc. still work.
5) Remove Sirius XM from sources on the menu and add it back. No change.
6) Refresh signal sent from Sirius XM (nothing wrong with my account).
7) Also tried to change channels using the button on left side of steering wheel. When pushing it, there is a long delay as it tries to find a channel but it only goes to radio or streaming channels, passes over any Sirius channel in the favorites (except Channel 8).
8) Left car, cursed Musk, returned 20 minutes later. No change.

I have found the odd loss of sound can usually be restored by muting on and off twice. Don't know why. As you say, other sources have sound fine. The latest version I received (2022.4.5.21 FSD Beta) seems to have less static when moving the volume control, but the sound is clipped in the parts where static was occurring. Also, I hear static on the program material frequently now. FM radio does the same clipping and static. Other sources seem fine.

Most likely by coincidence, the problem fixed itself (for now). Tesla's update 2022.8.3.5 happen to download today and was installed after I had the problem reported above. When I started the car after the update, the SiriusXM channels were back to sound and ability to change channels. I don't think this update patched anything to do with SiriusXM from what I can tell, but maybe just going through the update process cleared what corruption was in the system.

I have to believe that Tesla's critical software systems for the car as better written and less buggy than the software for features like the entertainment system. I have to believe that. But is it true?

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
I am now running at a 50% rate on XM radio on my refresh S. Half the time I start driving I find the XM stations gone and XM removed form the sources screen. Problem generally resolves itself the next time I start driving with no reboot. Kind of sucks to pay for the XM subscription and only get to use it half the time. Tesla needs to do better here--this problem has been going on for some time now (albeit not as frequently).

Mine just started with the same issue. How do
You mute twice?
It’s stuck on last channel I listened to but no sound at all and won’t change channels. Every other
Source works great. Had signal refreshed….no dice. Running the 2024.2.7 software.

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpeg
    IMG_4799.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 18
SXM has been fairly stable the last couple of updates. It may come back in a day or so. You might want to try to unselect SXM as a Source, completely exit that function, and then go back in and toggle it back on. That may reset the basic SXM in the car. Generally, SXM issues get better some days and worse on others. The issues seemed to have been sort of fixed lately.

SXM has been fairly stable the last couple of updates. It may come back in a day or so. You might want to try to unselect SXM as a Source, completely exit that function, and then go back in and toggle it back on. That may reset the basic SXM in the car. Generally, SXM issues get better some days and worse on others. The issues seemed to have been sort of fixed lately.
Well this didn’t work either. I guess I’lll just put the car in garage and see what happens tomorrow

Reactions: DerbyDave
I wonder if something is “clogged” in the system back end. Will be interesting to hear what Tesla says when I call them. Maybe they’re able to push something thru. Either way this is the first time a reset hasn’t solved the issue.