Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In California, getting 2 new 240volt outlets installed, how important is it to get GFCI breakers? The 50 Amp breakers are extremely expensive and the charger I will be purchasing uses the Nema 14-50 outlet at 40 AMPS to charge the Tesla. Any input would be nice. Thanks!

GFCI’s are certainly highly recommended. However my thoughts are that if your outlets are dedicated and you do do anything stupid ( like using a screwdriver to pry the plug or touching the prong plug while plugging in or other stupid tricks) you should be ok. Use the money you save to buy a Tesla mobile connector vs an Amazon special.

Upvote 0
In California, getting 2 new 240volt outlets installed, how important is it to get GFCI breakers? The 50 Amp breakers are extremely expensive and the charger I will be purchasing uses the Nema 14-50 outlet at 40 AMPS to charge the Tesla. Any input would be nice. Thanks!

1. The GFCI breaker is required by code
2. You must also purchase a 14-50 outlet that is designed for a continuous load, so this will run you about $80 or so,
3. You will be better off buying a wall connector which willl be cheaper and is far more capable,

Approximate prices:
Mobile Connector $250, GFCI breaker $150, Outlet $80, wall Cable organizer $35 = $515
Wall Connector $450, standard breaker $15 = $465

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Virtually all connectors have a built in GFCI and if you also have a GFCI breaker you can have one GFCI trip the other GFCI. Don't ask me how I know.

In the case of the MC, while it does have an internal GFCI the outlet still requires one (by code). If there is a GFCI tripping problem this is a wiring / grounding issue. The only way to avoid a GFCI breaker is to use a hardwired solution, such as the wall connector.

Upvote 0
I had a TWC installed last year and it works very well but the electrician installed it on a GFCI breaker and while it worked the first time while he was here, it started tripping later. The Tesla manual states that the TWC has a built in GFCI and says not to put it in a GFCI. Electrician had to come out and change it and has worked fine since. if you are going to have a non dedicated outlet it will need to be GFCI since somebody could hook an extension cord to it and be outside where it’s wet.

Upvote 0
. if you are going to have a non dedicated

This is not permitted; EV circuits need to be dedicated.

For clarity, the GFCI protection in the TWC and UMC are there to protect the connection to the car. The GFCI in the breaker box is there to protect a wall outlet, therefore, it is required for a 14-50 outlet and not for the TWC since there is no outlet.

• Informative
Upvote 0