Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Shanghai will ship MIC M3 to Australia, New Zealand & Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Renaissance
Major mistake. There’s no way I’d buy the MIC version - LFP batteries are an inferior solution that simply allows Tesla to get more cars out the door and pocket a higher gross margin at our expense. It’s not a Tesla unless it uses cells from GF1.

Major mistake. There’s no way I’d buy the MIC version - LFP batteries are an inferior solution that simply allows Tesla to get more cars out the door and pocket a higher gross margin at our expense. It’s not a Tesla unless it uses cells from GF1.

My main hope from Giga Shanghai is that it can become the factory where low cost spare parts (not necessarily batteries) can be made and distributed for our region.

My understanding is that LFP are worse in cold weather and supercharge slower but can be charged to 100% regularly and have a longer lifespan. Sounds like an OK tradeoff to me.

Reactions: Renaissance
My understanding is that LFP are worse in cold weather and supercharge slower but can be charged to 100% regularly and have a longer lifespan. Sounds like an OK tradeoff to me.
That slower supercharge rate is most likely temporary while they analyze the fleet with the training wheels on. They did something similar with the US made SR+ and then after they were confident with the results they pushed out an update to increase the charge rate.

Fyi Tesla AU has called all the Aussies who ordered m3P and informed them there will be no shipments Q1 and expect them late May/June as China is only making SR+ and LR this quarter.. Some people had P on order since Nov and now have to wait even longer...

LFP will only be used for SR+ Model 3. If you don't want LFP, order LR and you will get LG 2170 NMC cells. Performance Model 3 cars may still use Panasonic 2170 cells from GF1.