Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glacier National Park, Tesla, and My Dog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove south of the park to get from West Glacier to St. Mary. I took a chance that we'd be OK stopping down into Two Medicine for a hike, but definitely started having a little anxiety on the climb out. Thankfully, there is a huge elevation loss en route to St. Mary. Made it with plenty of range (48 RM).

Apologies for the photo cross post, but you know.. Glacier.

IMG_3860.JPG

My P90D X is RIP but this was on our roadtrip just a few weeks back. We drove up the Going-to-the-Sun rd as far as we could from West Glacier. Several days later we went to St Mary via East Glacier and the scenic Hwy 89. It was void of people because they were a couple weeks a way of getting the Going-to-the-Sun road open and then 1000's descend. In St Mary's we ate at the famous Johnson's Restaurant related to the family that had a major start of the area About Us

Thanks for letting me reminisce. Looking at "old" pictures brought back a ton of memories.

wJQTS36.jpg

uyRF4k0.jpg

An update from Glacier National Park. In the name of progress, the only gas station in the park has been converted to an EV charging station. One Tesla destination charger and one J1772.

This is very exciting to me, as my husband (Kraken) and I visited Glacier a few years back. In fact, we were the first Model S to charge at the Whitefish destination charger and our car is still the Plugshare primary picture :) Whitefish Destination Charging?. After driving around the Many Glacier area a while with no luck with finding a plug we stopped in the Ranger station for advise. While we were there we wrote a brief letter to the Park director, at the encouragement of the rangers, to add some sort of EV charging in the park as it only makes sense as good stewards of the environment and being an very environmentally focused destination. They suggested we try one of the campground managers who are the only people on that side of the park with electrical hook ups. We had stayed at the KOA for a few days in St. Mary's but had since checked out and were looking to top off while doing the Ptarmigan Tunnel trail. Thankfully one of the camp managers near the start of the hike was nice enough to let us back in and use his 14-50 outlet that he wasn't using. I'm glad to see that something came of it.

Side note, if you go to the Canadian side of the park Waterton Lakes they do allow dogs on the trail. This includes the Crypt Lake hike where we saw a sweet Mini Schnauzer climbing like a champ. But beware, while an amazing hike, it's not for the faint of heart.