TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Glad I didn't have a hardtop today.

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by MileHighMotoring, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MileHighMotoring

I've had the car a few weeks and with the ever-changing weather in the Mile High city, I haven't taken the soft top off yet. Well, today (November!) was 75 degrees, so I pulled over, rolled it up and placed it in the trunk. What a change. Open air driving was fantastic. And getting in and out felt so easy without the top in my way. My brain focused on the driving and the experience more versus hearing the various creaks and clunks the car makes driving over uneven tarmac.

Funny thing is, I own another convertible (I know, the Roadster is a targa, but close enough) so you'd think I know good enough how much different a car is when you let the sun in.

It really was a great drive today. It was about 45 min each way to run an errand and I was sad when it was over. I put the top back on (to keep bugs out in the garage) but if the weather is good, it's coming back off often!

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Yeah, it is a completely different car with the top off. Both for the driver, as well as onlookers.

3. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

#3 sethr, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    My Roadster is my first car ever with a soft top. It's off and stowed in the trunk a lot! I doubt I'll ever put the hard top back on - it'll stay in the storage bag. (I'd change my avatar if I could figure out how...)

4. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

If you ever see me with the soft top ON, it's because it's
    * Precipitating
    * Less than 60ºF
    * I'm listening to an audio book that is super fascinating (most recently, The Martian).

5. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

Welcome to a new kind of feeling when driving. Exhilaration.

Best,

T

6. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Its nice that there is a lot less wind buffeting than the Lotus has. The Lotus is so bad I leave the hardtop on and run the A/C. It must be the curve on the door above the handle.

7. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Oh, and if it rains, the 'mythbusters style' minimum speed seems to be around 60kph to keep the rain out of the cabin. Anything above that you stay dry (and pray for no traffic jam).