Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roadster Top - New Group buy (May 2013)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the glass top off for the first time since May 2013 when I got it. Put it in the storage bag with my Tesla hardtop.
Top down weather in MD, with mesh top, but the glass top is still by far the coolest accessory I have ever purchased for a car!

There is contact information early in the thread for Mr Fiat (David I think is the fellow's name). It's been long enough since we did the group buy, that you'll want to talk to him about what the price is now and what discount there would be if there was a group buy (and numbers - that sort of thing).

It's starting to sound like there are a few people thinking about the glass top, so it might be worthwhile to start a new thread (maybe call it something like Glass Top Group Buy #3) and use that to gauge interest.

There is contact information early in the thread for Mr Fiat (David I think is the fellow's name). It's been long enough since we did the group buy, that you'll want to talk to him about what the price is now and what discount there would be if there was a group buy (and numbers - that sort of thing).

It's starting to sound like there are a few people thinking about the glass top, so it might be worthwhile to start a new thread (maybe call it something like Glass Top Group Buy #3) and use that to gauge interest.

Many Thanks... Will do later today or tomorrow.

Best,

TOBASH

Must.....not.....look.....at......this......thread!!!!!! :scared:

Sigh.........Just when I think it has vanished and won't be around tempting me anymore, it just keeps coming back. So the conversation will go something like this:

Wife: Bob, why would you spend $3000+ on a new hard top when you've been driving around with the soft top for over a year and haven't taken the regular hard top out of storage since the first time you took it off.

Me: But look how cool it is!

Wife: You are throwing money away. The first time you take it off, you'll drop the wrench and it will go under the seat, never to be seen again, and then you'll never put it on again. This is stupid.

Me: But look how cool it is!

Wife: Not cool, probably really hot inside with the sun shining through. The lousy Roadster air conditioner doesn't keep up with Florida heat now with the regular top on, you're going to bake!

Me: But, but, but

Wife: And don't even get me started on skin cancer

Me: Ha! But now I'll be able to actually see traffic lights. This will probably save my life someday. $3000 is cheap to save my life, isn't it?

adiggs, this is all your fault for bringing this thread back.

p.s. Waiting for MrFiat to return my call :wink:

I have a few answers for you to inject into the conversation. For the wrench, if the 1.5 is like the 2.5, you have a nice tray under the center console where it tucks away nicely and goes nowhere. Besides it's a standard allen key with one end plasti-dipped or something, so you can only use the low torque end (and thereby avoid over tightening).

I've found that the glass top does get hotter in the summer than I like. Then again, unless it's actually hot outside, I just roll the windows down and the cabin is cooled right down in a block or 2. That hasn't worked as well this summer here in oregon - we've been seeing fairly regular weather into the 90's, and swapped over to the soft top - we'll have that on for about 2 months, and then back to the glass top. In Florida, you might find that the heat is more intense, and it is indeed an issue (you'll have to get input from somebody in SoCal, Arizona, or other high sun / high summer temp states). In Oregon, we'll use the glass top 10+ months of the year, with decent odds of keeping it on all the way through the summer too.

I think it's best of all in the rain. The first thunderstorm you're out in, with rain pounding on the glass top ... wow.

Thanks for the data, adiggs. Was only kidding about losing the wrench, I'm really just too lazy to swap them back and forth, and since we don't have winter here, the cloth top has worked for me year round. I do have some concerns about the the extra heat the glass top will let through, so if anybody from the "hot states" has done this, would love to hear your feedback.

I missed the group buy, but picked up a basic version this week from Mr. Fiat. The frame is one pound heavier than the premium version and no cover included, but it's also $700 cheaper. It arrived a lot faster than I expected, they had one in stock and shipped it overnight to Toronto.

Installation was quick and easy, the only trick was to hold down the front edge as it's tightened to keep it flush with the windshield. Looks great and the view is almost as good as having the top down. Not sure I'll ever use the standard hard top again!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also recommend that you get the shower cap as well and keep that stashed in your trunk. Helps keep the cabin cool when parked out in the sun.

Please post a link to where the shower cap can be purchased. Thanks! (Oops, see "update" below)

And I'm on the lookout for a black Lotus Elise top...

UPDATE: I think I found the "shower cap" at Shower/Sun-cap - Elise car cover to protect the interior of your Lotus - Sector 111

I assume that is what was being referred to. Sorry, I thought maybe the phrase was some sort of slang term, didn't think it was the actual product name

Last edited:
Looks awesome, happy you joined all of us who have the cleartops! Make sure you spray around and on the top to ensure there are no leaks. Better to find something like that sooner than later. Also recommend that you get the shower cap as well and keep that stashed in your trunk. Helps keep the cabin cool when parked out in the sun.

On this point (spraying around the roof and corners to check for leaks) - I do think it's a good idea. My personal experience though is that this can be misleading. When my wife and I run water at any of the 4 corners at even a low spray level, the corner is overwhelmed by the water and we get leaks into the cabin. However I drove with the glass top all of last winter (and plan to continue doing so this winter) and never had even 1 drop of water leak into the cabin, despite sitting out in the parking lot all day long during some heavy Portland rains (and of course, the more typical light Portland rains).

In fact, the glass top is the MORE waterproof of the soft top and glass top in real world use. I've just learned to be cautious about where I spray water when I'm washing the car (I don't aim at any of the 4 corners of the roof and hold it there).

Welcome to the glass top club! Sounds like an excellent deal on the slightly heavier frame version. I don't know if that was available when we did the previous group buy (well - I know that I didn't know of it when we did this group buy :)).

Welcome to the glass top club! Sounds like an excellent deal on the slightly heavier frame version. I don't know if that was available when we did the previous group buy (well - I know that I didn't know of it when we did this group buy :)).

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the cheaper version either until I did a search on Mr. Fiat's web site. Here are the links to both:

Premium hard top

Basic hard top

They both have the same clear polycarbonate top, but the premium version uses a lighter fiberglass for the frame. Total weight of the premium is 5 lbs compared to 5.9 lbs for the basic version. The premium has a scratch resistant UV coating on the interior and exterior surfaces while the basic has it on the exterior only. The premium version also includes a storage bag. Both include a cleaning kit (wax and microfiber cloth) and Allen wrench for installation.

The basic version was in stock, but I would have had to wait a month for a premium version to be shipped from Italy. That plus the $700 savings made it an easy decision.

Last edited:
Thanks! I wasn't aware of the cheaper version either until I did a search on Mr. Fiat's web site.

The basic version was in stock, but I would have had to wait a month for a premium version to be shipped from Italy. That plus the $700 savings made it an easy decision.

I'm not sure why you would think they had none of the premium hardtops in stock. I had almost no wait. I just received mine in a bullet-proof, explosion-proof, super-overly reinforced wooden box. I'll be hiring the team from "The Italian Job" to open it tonight.

I ordered it Tuesday and it arrived yesterday in NYC.

This and my new 80amp Premium Juicebox charger are making some fun additions to my Tesla parts inventory.

Thanks for the tips on the installation. .

Best,

T