Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roof - This is not how it's supposed to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Measuring the temp of the roof is missing the point.

No it's not. I never bothered to measure any car's roof, except this one's. 'Cause it's not doing what it's supposed to do, i.e. protect the occupants from the outside environment.

The coating is supposed to reduce the IR going into the vehicle.

It's not doing that well at all. It's shifting it from where it wouldn't bother me to where it really does.

Better to get a reading off a seat surface that is getting direct sun.

Why? The seat temperature has always been OK.

It is designed to take some load off the Airconditioning system, and reduce radiant heat to keep the occupants more comfortable.

It's failing miserably at doing that.

I must say, there's a lot of "you're holding it wrong" feedback around here, at times drowning out all the genuinely-helpful info. Between that and the 3's miserable quality, it sucks all the joy out of owning it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B
If your roof is reflecting and absorbing heat, it is doing it's job.
I agree with that, but the problem is that there is nothing between the hot glass and the driver's head which is just a few inches away, so you can feel the radiant heat if the sun is strong enough. Other cars have either a headliner or a retractable shade under the roof that prevents the heat from reaching your head. The sunshade accessory can do that too to some extent, but is less convenient than a retractable shade (which I think Tesla should have integrated on the cars with glass roof).

I agree with that, but the problem is that there is nothing between the hot glass and the driver's head which is just a few inches away, so you can feel the radiant heat if the sun is strong enough. Other cars have either a headliner or a retractable shade under the roof that prevents the heat from reaching your head. The sunshade accessory can do that too to some extent, but is less convenient than a retractable shade (which I think Tesla should have integrated on the cars with glass roof).

Should we all petition and make tesla give us one of these?

Model 3 Front Glass Roof Sunshade

In my experience, the roof cuts IR very effectively. However, the glass itself can heat up and radiate IR (emissivity?)

In real life, that means starting out from a shaded parking your head will not feel a thing. After a while it will feel like some heat is radiating from the top and the glass would feel hot to the touch. Note that my rear windshield that is tinted all the way also feels the same, so i don't think its about blocking IR.

I simply turn my vents up and it feels fine (I like to imagine it is cooling the glass so it doesn't emit IR). If im still bothered by it next summer, I'll probably get the pop-in sunshade.

Tesla initially delivered their Model X with the high tech glass coatings. Some still felt it was not enough, so they now deliver with a mesh spring loaded screen the provides additional sun screening, but still gives a bit of that desirable open feeling.

Perhaps later they will develop something like that for the Model 3.

Model X owners did a quick work around by wearing a baseball cap to get by until the shields arrived.

Tesla was quick to provide a solution. Might have something in the works already for the 3, but of course it will take a little time to fully develope it and have it made.

After market is super nimble and will also get something out if the demand is enough. Link above looks like they already have something similar to the Model X shade.

Last edited:
Tesla was quick to provide a solution. Might have something in the works already for the 3, but of course it will take a little time to fully develope it and have it made.

After market is super nimble and will also get something out if the demand is enough. Link above looks like they already have something similar to the Model X shade.

Model X is Tesla’s elite group and not many of them so they can afford to implement a give away sun shade option. The model 3 is the common car and too many out there to give away a sunshade after the fact.

I read above .... and have seen on other threads ...... recommendations to "petition Tesla" for this or that.

Had there been any instance where Tesla responded favorably to a petition?
If so, then let's initiate a petition.
My inclination is .... it would be a wast of time.

Tesla initially delivered their Model X with the high tech glass coatings. Some still felt it was not enough, so they now deliver with a mesh spring loaded screen the provides additional sun screening, but still gives a bit of that desirable open feeling.

Perhaps later they will develop something like that for the Model 3.

Model X owners did a quick work around by wearing a baseball cap to get by until the shields arrived.

Like this? Model 3 Front Glass Roof Sunshade
Or are you talking about something built in?