Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove Box Jammed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meshbiz

MYLR MSM BL 5 19 OD:5/31 VIN 9/11 265xxx p/u:9/24
Jun 8, 2021
New York
Hi. The glove box in my 2021 MY (Sept 2021 delivery) is jammed shut. The "open" command is accepted by the car and I hear the click but it won't open. I've attempted to pry it open but I don't want to break it and cause a bigger issue.

Anyone with a similar experience coach me? Also, has anyone has a SC deal with a jammed glove box and how much was it?

Thanks!

IS it possible that there's a lot of stuff in the glovebox? Maybe something's pushing on the door from the inside? When you use the open command, the latch might be stuck because of that pressure. I suggest pushing on the glovebox door as you use the open command and let it go during that second when the latch is open. Might take multiple tries if that's what's jamming it.

Did you have any repair done on your car recently?

I had to have the "Center IP Cable" and display on my car replaced when the builtin tests discovered an error. To do this, they had to remove and reinstall the glovebox. Afterwards, my glovebox behaved the same, including the clicking sound. I had mobile service out to replace the glovebox and he when he tested the new one before putting it all the way it had the same problem. That's when it dawned on him that the glovebox doesn't make a clicking sound when you open it. When they put it back together, they had swapped the front speaker connection with the glovebox release because they both had the same connector. The clicking sound was the front speaker processing the open glovebox signal.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
The clicking sound was the front speaker processing the open glovebox signal.

So the click sound of the glovebox opening is generated through the speakers? Like the turn signals?
Not sure how to answer your question here. I think you are asking if the normal sounds of the glovebox opening comes through the speakers and the answer is no, there is no normal sound for the opening. I only had sound AFTER they switched the wiring and the speaker wire went to the glovebox, and the glovebox control wire was plugged into the front speaker.

I just went out and listened to my glovebox opening up. The normal sound is a very mechanical sound. When the wire were plugged in incorrectly, the only sound was just a clicking sound that is not present when things are wired correctly.

The clicking sound was the front speaker processing the open glovebox signal.

So the click sound of the glovebox opening is generated through the speakers? Like the turn signals?
No, I think they're saying that theirs had been plugged back together incorrectly. So when the computer tried to feed voltage to the motor to open the glovebox, instead that voltage turned up at the speaker and it made a clicking noise. I guess the speaker in question also wouldn't have been working.
And then they were also saying that, when it's all working correctly, there's no "click" when opening the glovebox. That's what gave the mobile service guy a clue as to what'd happened.

Hi. I placed a service call on my phone to have my tires rotated (every 7,500 miles) and I included the request to fix by glovebox. The work was to be done in my driveway. The service center quoted $405 to fix the glovebox! **** that... I've got enough storage!

The tech showed me how to snap apart the side panel and dashboard to access the glovebox mechanism so I can open it and I'll do that after I confirm the process on YouTube.

Hi. I placed a service call on my phone to have my tires rotated (every 7,500 miles) and I included the request to fix by glovebox. The work was to be done in my driveway. The service center quoted $405 to fix the glovebox! **** that... I've got enough storage!

The tech showed me how to snap apart the side panel and dashboard to access the glovebox mechanism so I can open it and I'll do that after I confirm the process on YouTube.
Why isn't it covered under warranty? Mileage?

Looking forward to the manual glovebox entry.

Not sure how to answer your question here. I think you are asking if the normal sounds of the glovebox opening comes through the speakers and the answer is no, there is no normal sound for the opening. I only had sound AFTER they switched the wiring and the speaker wire went to the glovebox, and the glovebox control wire was plugged into the front speaker.

I just went out and listened to my glovebox opening up. The normal sound is a very mechanical sound. When the wire were plugged in incorrectly, the only sound was just a clicking sound that is not present when things are wired correctly.
A$5hole techs did this exactly on my car. I'd like to say it was an accident/incompetence. But the cynic in me tells me they were creating "easy" but high labor time fix to do it. I was also missing 4 panel clips/pins.... I mean, REALLY? You can't keep these things together so that they don't get lost? So sick and tired of people who do a crappy job... sorry for the rant! But thanks for posting the issue as it helped me. Videos to take the glove box apart is here

Reactions: CapsEngineer