Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Tesla even at Risk of NEM 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are seriously interested in going off grid, you might want to double check the noise and air quality regulations in your corner of the world. Many parts of California do not all generator use for anything other than emergency standby use for air quality reasons and some localities have ordnances that address generator use. There is also the small detail that many cities require grid connections. In my county off grid also means no permitting with all that goes with that for insurance. YMMV...

I think SDG&E allows completely disconnecting since there was a blurb about it in my PTO letter. My plan would be to only run the generator during the day and assume it's no louder than a lawn mover (could be wrong there) to recharge the batteries during times in the winter when it's cloudy for multiple days in a row. I can normally recharge within 3 hours now (by 12pm).

My hope is still in 10-20 years, more options will open up on this for everyone. Even if solar systems can be configured to never export, that would help to let the IOUs see what would happen if they had no more solar feeding to the grid (answers the question, are solar customers really that bad).

There are also generators being launched now that are specifically made to recharge batteries for cases like this.

Attachments

• OffGridBlurb.jpg
    OffGridBlurb.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 61
I appreciate everyone's feedback here.

Yes, the numbers I'm giving you is comparing apples-to-applies of solar with 2 power walls. The only difference is Tesla is 12kW system and the local is 10.2kW.

It seems as though even with the 22% tax credit and NEM 3 risk being highly likely, the Tesla system still comes out ahead financially and will break even around 10+ years with the local installer.

Now, as a tech guy, is the technology of the local installer that superior (e.g. microinverters vs string, 425W efficient panels, etc.) to Tesla to make you go with it?
What is the installers backorder time versus Tesla on the Powerwalls? They have been a real factor in our being able to avoid using power from PG&E, especially during the evening when the rates are high and sun low.

Last edited:
I think SDG&E allows completely disconnecting since there was a blurb about it in my PTO letter
It may be a building code issue that determines whether you can actually disconnect or just turn off your main breaker. Even that may vary within the city or county in SDG&E territory. In the literal sense, there is no law that says you have to use the grid.

Reactions: BGbreeder