Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from silver to dark grey/black wheels. Powder coat vs plastidip??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also started out with the 19" Sport Wheels in silver with my Pearl White M3 and decided to go the route to powder coat them to Satin Grey (Before the grey performance wheels were released)

As others mentioned before:
• Plastisdip: Cheap alternative. Good to test wheel colors without the commitment. Easy to peel off but also easy to damage with peeling and chips from rock or road debris. Setup might be difficult depending on experience with using plastisdip and preparation of cleaning wheels
• Powder Coat: Best quality, permanent and looks OEM

I've attached a few photos of my Powder coating of my 19" wheels and before and after of my wheels. Enjoy!

IMG_7363.jpg IMG_7365.jpg IMG_0119.jpg Sept_8.jpg 4.jpg

I also started out with the 19" Sport Wheels in silver with my Pearl White M3 and decided to go the route to powder coat them to Satin Grey (Before the grey performance wheels were released)

As others mentioned before:
• Plastisdip: Cheap alternative. Good to test wheel colors without the commitment. Easy to peel off but also easy to damage with peeling and chips from rock or road debris. Setup might be difficult depending on experience with using plastisdip and preparation of cleaning wheels
• Powder Coat: Best quality, permanent and looks OEM

I've attached a few photos of my Powder coating of my 19" wheels and before and after of my wheels. Enjoy!

View attachment 565298 View attachment 565299 View attachment 565300 View attachment 565301 View attachment 565302
Love it. Those wheels look SO much better on the white than the silver IMO.

Reactions: follow.johnny
Based on HelloJohnny’s photos, his car looks terrific. Wheels are not too dark. They show the right amount of contrast. I will powder coat my Oem 19 inch silver wheels to satin gray. My M3 is white on white. I collect the car July 27. I’m in south Florida. Thanks for the idea, Johnny.

Reactions: follow.johnny
I've plastidip 3 of my previous cars. It's pretty easy to peel if you spray it on properly. My first time doing it it was a paint to peel because I didn't put enough coats on. 2nd and 3rd time it was very easy and quick to peel. You just have to make sure you have enough coverage in all angles. At least 1 can per wheel. I plan on dipping the model 3 as well.

Plastisip is temporary, and will peel off. Powder coat is permanent.

Just had my black on black MS wheels powder coated gloss black. Looks great!

Temporary can be an advantage. Granted, I come from the modding world starting with a 55 Chevy but mostly a 70 BMW. Plastidip lets you change your mind. The car shown to the left had red wheels in front and blue in back for the fourth of July a few years back.
But, that said, powder coating is the way to go if you know what you like and don't have brain like mine where people are regularly saying " that was random"