Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going mudding in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the ride height of the Model 3 RC cars we've been seeing pop up over the last few weeks. They all look like they're equipped with a lift kit and ready to tackle the Rubicon Trail or something. Given that the RC cars are being tested and tuned for driving dynamics, I assume this setup must be the final production version.

I can't be the only one who feels like the ride height totally kills the beautiful design work on the Model 3. I sure hope they offer an air suspension option, or I'll be re-thinking my deposit until some good lowering kits hit the market.

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the ride height of the Model 3 RC cars we've been seeing pop up over the last few weeks. They all look like they're equipped with a lift kit and ready to tackle the Rubicon Trail or something. Given that the RC cars are being tested and tuned for driving dynamics, I assume this setup must be the final production version.

I can't be the only one who feels like the ride height totally kills the beautiful design work on the Model 3. I sure hope they offer an air suspension option, or I'll be re-thinking my deposit until some good lowering kits hit the market.
Not just to ride lower, but the air suspension option ought to let you do this:

mnBtuEF0E3MDC.gif

Just when I thought I'd seen it all.:D
Actually no, I brought this subject up in the Mule Sighting thread a couple of weeks ago:
There is too much wheel/fender gap at the rear! If that's the way the car is delivered, I will have to do something about that.
@tracksyde then did a photoshop of the same spy shot with wheel spacers and larger wheels and it looked great!

@jimmyz80 don't worry, be happy and just be patient. The modding crowd will be alive and active with the TM3 once we can put some eyeballs and elbows on it. There will be a modding and hack group either on this site or another TM3 site once delivery starts on the 3. It happened with the Prius and it will happen with the TM3, especially in SoCal. The aftermarket suppliers will be robust for the TM3 once they can measure and assess the final product. I will be part of the TM3 modding group and they don't call me the "ModFather" on the Prius group for nothing.

Reactions: tracksyde
Actually no, I brought this subject up in the Mule Sighting thread a couple of weeks ago:

@tracksyde then did a photoshop of the same spy shot with wheel spacers and larger wheels and it looked great!

@jimmyz80 don't worry, be happy and just be patient. The modding crowd will be alive and active with the TM3 once we can put some eyeballs and elbows on it. There will be a modding and hack group either on this site or another TM3 site once delivery starts on the 3. It happened with the Prius and it will happen with the TM3, especially in SoCal. The aftermarket suppliers will be robust for the TM3 once they can measure and assess the final product. I will be part of the TM3 modding group and they don't call me the "ModFather" on the Prius group for nothing.

I sure hope so, since that's not the case with the Model S. Nobody makes a set of lowering springs for the dual motor Model S, which is pretty much the only reason I ended up ordering mine with air suspension.

I did a quick photoshop last summer using the MyTesla page image, but in gold to be able to see the fender gap easier, of the difference from the stock height and the approximate low SAS height and it does look so much sleeker to me when lower. So hoping the SAS will be an option, already was planning on dual motors, so if it's only available with the D, that's ok (at least for today - may totally change my mind on what I think I need/want when we see the configurer).

but.... the MyTesla image does look like what we are seeing on the RCs as far as wheel fender gap, IMO YMMV

gold.gif

• Love
Reactions: tracksyde and T34ME
I sure hope so, since that's not the case with the Model S. Nobody makes a set of lowering springs for the dual motor Model S, which is pretty much the only reason I ended up ordering mine with air suspension.
I hear you! I will order mine with air suspension,,,,,,,,,if available. But I am becoming more and more pessimistic about SAS being available on the 3 in the initial offering.

If you go to the Model3Tracker site, they have info on 9500 reservation preferences. 35% of those 9500 want air suspension as an option. That is not an insignificant statistical number! So yes, keep your fingers crossed. I believe that SAS was deleted on some models of the MS because of an attempt to segregate and differentiate the line. When and if Telsa develops a Ludicrous option for the TM3, SAS will be standard on that option. Therefore, even though I apparently have a relatively high reservation number, I may voluntarily move down in line if the initial offering does not have the options I want.

If not, I believe that aftermarket will provide retro-fit coil overs and who knows what else to satisfy what is going to be a significant demand for making many TM3's unique to their owner.

Reactions: tracksyde
Since a few people have rated my original post as "disagree", I'm curious to hear your personal opinion. Do you actually find this fender gap attractive?
I don't care either way about 'fender gap', as long as the suspension design gives good handling and cornering on less than perfect roads. The rocker panel height looks similar to other performance sedans out there.

Most all standard production vehicles have larger fender than some people want. There is a huge industry lowering production vehicles.

The original Model 3 will most likely come with a ride height determined by Federal standards for ride and headlight height.

Later performance models might offer lower ride heights, or options for such.

Lowered vehicle often look better, but also tend to ride rougher and handle differently.

Shortly after the original Model S was released there were aftermarket lowering kits made available.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Since a few people have rated my original post as "disagree", I'm curious to hear your personal opinion. Do you actually find this fender gap attractive?

new-white-front.jpg
I like everything about that car. I like the wheel/tire combination on white. Cars go faster if suspension works (more softly sprung, but with all the geometry right so it does not roll). I think the low center of gravity might let the suspension "naturally" work better with less roll in the corners. With the lateral load as low as it is, the car has a chance to be absurdly good - compliant on the highway and fast in the corners.

So the suggestion here is to reserve judgement until you have driven it. Suspension travel means something different when the center of gravity is very low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DR61