Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on day 10 in Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, this is where Tesla blows it. Service work. They are so overwhelmed that my new Y sat at the service center for 8 days before it was even looked at. Now they have to order a part which will be another 7 to 10 days. (The service staff at Orlando has been magnificent and its not their fault that Tesla needs more service centers.) As Tesla puts thousands of more cars on the road they are NOT adding service centers which will make the problem worse over time. They better get a plan in place and do it fast or they will start losing customers quickly.

Not that it's suppose to make you feel any better, but my MY has been in the shop for 3.5 weeks and counting. Between them having to order parts, to the lead technician getting pulled away, to waiting on Corporate to approve certain work orders, they've informed me that it'll be another week before I'll get my car back. The only good things are 1. my service rep has been outstanding with communication (almost on a daily basis providing me with updates even if it's "sorry sir, we didn't get a chance to do any work because of X,Y,Z) and 2. they provided me a loaner. As much as I want my car back, I know it's not the SC's fault. They're simply just overwhelmed with work because of Corporate's decision to delivery at many cars as possible. Also, my service rep told me they're understaffed due to COVID. They're doing the best they can and I completely understand.

There are new SC's opening.. but it takes Tesla forever to get them built and staffed. We have a new SC in Smithtown (Long Island) slated to open any day now. It's a huge facility, in Feb 2020 they had over 300 cars stored there for delivery.

They broke ground in March 2018 at that site... two and a half years to get it built!

Reactions: LasVegas2019
The first month of my Model Y ownership, it was in the service center for 3 weeks. I don't know if this is a growing pain because when I had Model S, it was like this as well. Car sales always come first, then Service Center/Superchargers.

Agree 100%, mine sat for a few days before they looked at it. My SC said they are over whelmed by Ys and new hardware upgrades on the X and S. They could handle the influx of one, but not both. SC is great, just a Tesla issue.

I have my MY stuck in the garage for over 3.5 weeks now. I am glad to hear that quite a few of you atleast have your service reps in constant touch. The SC in Brooklyn, NY has been the worst so far. I went in for a flat tire in week 1 and they said leave the car and the earliest we can look at it is 4 days from now. Had to take it over to a 3rd party. Week 3 of owing it i started getting error messages that the parking brake function is degraged. Took it in, same story again. They said the earliest we can look at it is 4 days from now. No loaner car only uber credits in which for me during Covid was a complete no no. No updates from the service rep, no reponse to phone calls. I go up to the service station after a week to know that they need to replace the brake caliper ( still no clue what why) and that it would take a week to get the part. I asked for the manger and the manager then gave me a loaner which has absolutely no tread of the front 2 weeks ( i only realized that when i took it onto the highway ). The service manager said she would also send the car to the body shop to get the panel gaps i complained about during delivery, adjusted. 2 more weeks and no update still. I loved the tesla and their cars as a fan boy from the outside. I currently hate them as a brand and for their support infrastructure. Worst decision ever to get the car. Was better off dreaming about it than owning it now.

I have my MY stuck in the garage for over 3.5 weeks now. I am glad to hear that quite a few of you atleast have your service reps in constant touch. The SC in Brooklyn, NY has been the worst so far. I went in for a flat tire in week 1 and they said leave the car and the earliest we can look at it is 4 days from now. Had to take it over to a 3rd party. Week 3 of owing it i started getting error messages that the parking brake function is degraged. Took it in, same story again. They said the earliest we can look at it is 4 days from now. No loaner car only uber credits in which for me during Covid was a complete no no. No updates from the service rep, no reponse to phone calls. I go up to the service station after a week to know that they need to replace the brake caliper ( still no clue what why) and that it would take a week to get the part. I asked for the manger and the manager then gave me a loaner which has absolutely no tread of the front 2 weeks ( i only realized that when i took it onto the highway ). The service manager said she would also send the car to the body shop to get the panel gaps i complained about during delivery, adjusted. 2 more weeks and no update still. I loved the tesla and their cars as a fan boy from the outside. I currently hate them as a brand and for their support infrastructure. Worst decision ever to get the car. Was better off dreaming about it than owning it now.
Welcome to the family. May Mother Tesla spare you in future dealings.

Reactions: Ormond
Sadly, this is where Tesla blows it. Service work. They are so overwhelmed that my new Y sat at the service center for 8 days before it was even looked at. Now they have to order a part which will be another 7 to 10 days. (The service staff at Orlando has been magnificent and its not their fault that Tesla needs more service centers.) As Tesla puts thousands of more cars on the road they are NOT adding service centers which will make the problem worse over time. They better get a plan in place and do it fast or they will start losing customers quickly.
What work are you getting done that is taking this long?

Fred

This doesn't make me feel positive about my upcoming service appointment for next week. I took delivery on July 29, and it's to fix some panel gaps and install HomeLink. I asked for a loaner. We'll see. Also, the service request is stuck in the app at "preparing" for two weeks, with no movement. When I called the service center, the guy wound up emailing me the estimate, which I digitally signed, but the app still doesn't show that it's confirmed. I'm taking time off work so I'm worried I'll get there and they won't even be tracking my appointment. I'm going to call again next week before I go to make sure they're aware.

as my wife laughs at me. She took her Ford Expedition in for warranty work and they had to replace the main computer module and some wiring. Total time in shop... 48 hours.
Yep. In my experience w/Japanese cars going in for work at dealers for over 20 years (Toyota and Nissan), a stay overnight or even longer is extremely rare.

I can only think of 3 instances:
1) brought car into too late (afternoon instead of morning)
2) wanted to cold soak overnight to repro prob that happens when it's cold
3) same as above as it pertained to a rattle/buzz behind the speedometer that happened more frequently when it was cold

I'm no fan of GM but my 1.5 year old Chevy Bolt has never been in for any service at a dealer. I missed the free tire rotation as apparently, it expires at the 12 month mark. Whoops. I ended up having the rotation done elsewhere.