Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gone in 60 seconds!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where to post this. Just a thought I had after seeing a reward on a local FB page for information on a missing Audi.

Do we own a car that can't be stolen?
Vandalized yes, but stolen? How would one do that? A rollback and a experienced operator would be able to drag it up, but your average punk probably couldn't steal it.

Cars have had security features beyond a simple key since the early-mid 90s.

Honestly the app is probably the most effective security feature the car has.
The relatively little third party and driveway repair are factors too. Also an electric vehicle being slower to fuel means lingering to do so if someone were to keep the car intact, vs an ICE that can be refueled much faster.

They can be stolen, they have been stolen and they will be stolen, as they get older and theives get to know the architecture and a market opens up for more used parts we will see more.
With legacy manufacturers thieves know the architecture of the car even if the model is newer.

Reactions: Bgs133
Here's a decent article (prior to MY):

Why it’s almost impossible to steal a Tesla (and get away with it).

While it's not impossible for thieves to figure out some high-tech way to steal new luxury cars, it's becoming extremely rare. Most luxury vehicles are reported stolen because:

a) You leave your vehicle unlocked with your phone/key inside (or locked and they break in)
b) Your home is burglarized and they take your phone/key
c) Your wallet/purse is stolen in public and they take your phone/key

And don't forget some vehicles are initially "reported stolen" and make the stat sheets even though law enforcement later discovers it was a family member, civil issue, or repo.

Street-level crooks are opportunists; they always look for the easiest thing to steal. Less expensive and older vehicles with traditional keyed ignitions can be defeated very quickly. EVs like Tesla require hacking skills, computer knowledge, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bgs133
Like i said traditional keyed vehicles have needed more than a key for a good 25years it isn't as easy as you think.

Stolen isn't defined narrowly as defeated or bypassed the security measures to be able to drive the car.

If thieves saw a market for stolen Tesla parts they would work it out. If absolutely nothing else worked they would still drag them on a rollback, defeat the 12volt or cellular link and be gone. It would still be stolen even though it wasn't driven away.

Reactions: SD419
I wish Tesla allowed GPS pings from the app while the car was being moved bur was “parked.” (Think tow truck or transport carrier.)

I’m fact, I’m not even positive the app actually shows a live GPS location while the car is in motion.... does it?

I always have selected “yes” on insurance when they ask if the vehicle has a GPS tracking system or stolen vehicle recovery system... but I don’t think technically that the Tesla system really qualifies as that. Maybe Tesla has the ability on their end to 100% of the time ping the vehicles real location (as long as it’s powered on) but I don’t think the end user does...

The Tesla app on the iPhone shows the car's location/motion in real-time. If my wife, for example, is driving the P3D and I'm at home I can view her/car moving along the map under location in the app. If that's what you're asking. Real-time GPS location.

The Tesla app on the iPhone shows the car's location/motion in real-time. If my wife, for example, is driving the P3D and I'm at home I can view her/car moving along the map under location in the app. If that's what you're asking. Real-time GPS location.

Ah! That’s good! I’m a single owner so I’m never outside the car when it’s driving :p

However, I have had two Tesla’s transported and the app does NOT update the location while the car is in park.

Someone could steal the car by towing it and parking it somewhere without cell service and the location would still show the original location where it was last parked.

Ah! That’s good! I’m a single owner so I’m never outside the car when it’s driving :p

However, I have had two Tesla’s transported and the app does NOT update the location while the car is in park.

Someone could steal the car by towing it and parking it somewhere without cell service and the location would still show the original location where it was last parked.

Good to know. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind next time I steal a Tesla. By the way, where do you park? Asking for a friend.........

The only sure way to see the location while the car is on a carrier or flatbed (ie moving but not driving) is with Sentry Cam, if equipped. Of course that won’t tell you where the car is unless you see signs. I’ve shipped a MY cross country twice, and the car location is always fixed at the last place it was driven (transporters lot). My car is somewhere in Midwest but location reads PA (transport lot). It has something to do with the GPS function interacting with the drivetrain.