Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences Between Mid-2018 Model S and Mid-2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting there isn't a refresh for two years, and I'm not going to wait that long because I'll be out of the 150,000 warranty limit. And I think refreshing the S is low on Tesla's priority list now.

If the range is north of 350 (realistic) - which I'd love to confirm with users - I'd be sold.
The most I see them doing in the next couple years is implementing steer by wire and the 48v system from the cybertruck. I doubt we'll get any major battery or motor updates for a while. And unfortunately Tesla's only work recently in those regards have been... not great.

Reactions: dsm363
I'm betting there isn't a refresh for two years, and I'm not going to wait that long because I'll be out of the 150,000 warranty limit. And I think refreshing the S is low on Tesla's priority list now.

If the range is north of 350 (realistic) - which I'd love to confirm with users - I'd be sold.
350 miles is about right for going 65-70 mph in good weather on a 100% charge.

I kept my car almost 4 years past the warranty and it did great.

The most I see them doing in the next couple years is implementing steer by wire and the 48v system from the cybertruck. I doubt we'll get any major battery or motor updates for a while. And unfortunately Tesla's only work recently in those regards have been... not great.
I think you both are right. I'm sure it's 2-5 years until we get a major update on Model S (if ever).

I'm considering buying a demo August 2023 long-range Model S (HW4) and trading in my late 2018 Model S 100D, which I love. I'd get the FSD transfer and cyber truck incentive.

My 2018S had a range of 335 miles when purchased, though when charged to 100% today, it only shows a range of 270. I sense part of the original 335-mile range was inflated by Tesla when I purchased the vehicle.

I'm intrigued by the 405 miles, which remains the same range after the recent change to the Plaid edition. (I might have gone Plaid had the range been close to 400 miles.) With my commute, the extra range matters, especially in cold weather.

Are other 2023/24 model S owners seeing the range of 405 (or close to it)?
I charged my 12/23 build MSLR to 100% last week during a trip to Palm Springs. 405 miles.

I prefer to use percentage rather than mileage range. Much more precise and practical IMHO.

Last edited: