Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences Between Mid-2018 Model S and Mid-2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 2018 100D Model S allows up to 72A level 2 charging. My understanding is that 42A has been all you can have since the Raven was introduced in 2019.

From a practical standpoint, it makes little difference if you plug it in at night -- either will provide a full charge by the time you wake up! :)

I have a Model S built in June 2018 and am considering trading it in for the latest Model S. I honestly haven't been following Tesla news much lately so I'm hoping the experts here are able to help me understand the differences/improvements made between the two. I currently have a 75D with FSD HW3 and am considering the Long Range (not Plaid).

The ones I know off the top of my head:
  • Faster Supercharging (up to 250 kW versus 150 kW that rarely even gets to 120 kW in reality)
  • HW4
  • Redesigned interior (horizontal screen, rear seat screen)
  • Interior camera
  • Yoke option for steering wheel
  • Exterior speaker?
  • 1-pedal driving
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Better cameras (related to HW4?)
  • Ability to view live feed via app
  • Phone/card entry (like the 3/Y)
  • Upgraded matrix headlights
  • Removal of ultrasonic sensors (uses cameras now close distance estimates?)
  • HD radar? Unsure about this one but not sure if it is part of HW4
What else am I missing that's "major"? Is there any reason NOT to upgrade? Or anything one would need to look out for?

For 19" tires, are the kWh/m a bit better? Currently getting average of 350 kWh/m right now and am hoping the latest S is more efficient.

When doing a self referral, are you getting both the buyer reward and the seller reward? It seemed like there is a "loyalty" reward for purchasing another product which seems like the same as the buyer rewards (aka doesn't get the 20,000 referral credits one would get as a referrer award). Credits expire within 12 months?

I assume the supercharging benefit for referrals ended as of the previous quarter, right? I thought I saw some headline about getting 3 years, then being able to extend to 6 but that may already be over.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!
Very relevant post!
I recently reluctantly sold my second MS. It was a 100D manufactured in sept 2018. Which means it had the premium pack but still had the roof hatch. I had it upgraded with HW3. In short it was a rare gem and it was truly a bit stupid to let it go. The reason i did was some calcs i did that came up with that it is about the same "cost" for a new car if leased on the company then invest the cash with 15-20% gain. Basically the question then became why not get a new car for "free". So i did an extensive comparison as i was very afraid of downgrading and came up with the following things that stands out.

The new LR is waaay quicker accel both from zero but especially when overtaking.
*HW4 and new screen are marvellous compared with the old
*I am going to miss my roof hatch for ever !
*The (left)arm rest in the Door is half the width of my old car!
*Back seat feels like it is much smaller but is actually same size or even bigger thanks to recesses in the front seat backs.
*The (normal) steering wheel is the same size as the old (not the tiny M3)
*steering wheel leather "feeling" is terrible compared to the old (but i hear a new one got released yesterday)
*Lack of stalks! Which means *Lack of wiper settings on stalk *Lack of Cruise control stalk
*Matrix lights doesnt have full function at this moment and no info on when it will be updated

Very relevant post!
I recently reluctantly sold my second MS. It was a 100D manufactured in sept 2018. Which means it had the premium pack but still had the roof hatch. I had it upgraded with HW3. In short it was a rare gem and it was truly a bit stupid to let it go. The reason i did was some calcs i did that came up with that it is about the same "cost" for a new car if leased on the company then invest the cash with 15-20% gain. Basically the question then became why not get a new car for "free". So i did an extensive comparison as i was very afraid of downgrading and came up with the following things that stands out.

The new LR is waaay quicker accel both from zero but especially when overtaking.
*HW4 and new screen are marvellous compared with the old
*I am going to miss my roof hatch for ever !
*The (left)arm rest in the Door is half the width of my old car!
*Back seat feels like it is much smaller but is actually same size or even bigger thanks to recesses in the front seat backs.
*The (normal) steering wheel is the same size as the old (not the tiny M3)
*steering wheel leather "feeling" is terrible compared to the old (but i hear a new one got released yesterday)
*Lack of stalks! Which means *Lack of wiper settings on stalk *Lack of Cruise control stalk
*Matrix lights doesnt have full function at this moment and no info on when it will be updated
That's a fair list. When I handed over the key fobs to my 2018 100D I was literally bawling. My wife had to offer condolences.

An hour later I'd totally forgotten that "old" model S. :)

I miss Summon, but seeing how Park Assist is coming along (without ultrasonic sensors) I have every confidence that Summon will come back improved. I'd really like to be able to get out of the car and have it back itself into a tight space again.

I do miss my retractable sun roof, but honestly I only used it for a minute at a time two or three times a year. :)

Everything else about the car is so much better. The HVAC on the old car was horrible compared to this one. The suspension and drive feels tighter and sportier. The center console with its storage divisions is fabulous.

Reactions: Yelobird
Been shopping too, but am holding out till next month, as Tesla needs to move inventory by end of quarter. So, there might be some extra cash on the hood for prospective S buyers. I've been interested in the FSD transfer from my 100D, or finding a used low mile 22 or 23 S. Had a Y for an overnight test drive, and it's like a little truck. I will say that it charges much faster than my S. Too bad you can't transfer FSD to a used car from Tesla. Found a used 23 S outside of Pittsburgh, and it was gone within a week after they dropped the price below 64k. You can find a Plaid for 71k. It's nuts, but good things come to those who wait.

Not crazy about the yoke, but it's more comfortable for those with long legs. Advantage over the 100D:
The 23 S still had ultrasonic sensors
Heat pump
Charges faster
Goes further
More comfortable to drive thanks to lowered armrest in center console
Car is quiet, but still a little breezy at speeds above 85

Disadvantages:
Some glare during the day on the dash - no binnacle like the OG S - if the sun hits you in the right direction you can watch yourself drive.
No stalks. You adapt quickly, but the car needs a proper horn in the right place.
Tires - 19 OEM all seasons are more expensive as most cars have a staggered configuration. Forget about 21's if you live somewhere with potholes.

20240201_140024.jpg

20240201_142004.jpg
20240201_141925.jpg
20240201_135336.jpg

Been shopping too, but am holding out till next month, as Tesla needs to move inventory by end of quarter. So, there might be some extra cash on the hood for prospective S buyers. I've been interested in the FSD transfer from my 100D, or finding a used low mile 22 or 23 S. Had a Y for an overnight test drive, and it's like a little truck. I will say that it charges much faster than my S. Too bad you can't transfer FSD to a used car from Tesla. Found a used 23 S outside of Pittsburgh, and it was gone within a week after they dropped the price below 64k. You can find a Plaid for 71k. It's nuts, but good things come to those who wait.

Not crazy about the yoke, but it's more comfortable for those with long legs. Advantage over the 100D:
Heat pump
Charges faster
Goes further

Disadvantages:
Some glare during the day on the dash - no binnacle like the OG S - if the sun hits you in the right direction you can watch yourself drive.
No stalks. You adapt quickly, but the car needs a proper horn in the right place.
Tires - 19 OEM all seasons are more expensive as most cars have a staggered configuration. Forget about 21's if you live somewhere with potholes.

View attachment 1018784
View attachment 1018778View attachment 1018782View attachment 1018783
How did the 2023 Model S still have ultrasonic sensors?

Heat pump
Charges faster
Goes further

Disadvantages:

View attachment 1018784
View attachment 1018778View attachment 1018782View attachment 1018783

It does look like from the photo that the white model S has ultrasonic sensors. You are sure it’s a 2023?

It does look like from the photo that the white model S has ultrasonic sensors. You are sure it’s a 2023?

5YJSA1E54PF502067

Manufacturer: TESLA, INC.

DBAs:

Vehicle Type: PASSENGER CAR

Model Year: 2023

Make: TESLA

Model: Model S

Body Class: Hatchback/Liftback/Notchback

Reactions: dsm363
I'm considering buying a demo August 2023 long-range Model S (HW4) and trading in my late 2018 Model S 100D, which I love. I'd get the FSD transfer and cyber truck incentive.

My 2018S had a range of 335 miles when purchased, though when charged to 100% today, it only shows a range of 270. I sense part of the original 335-mile range was inflated by Tesla when I purchased the vehicle.

I'm intrigued by the 405 miles, which remains the same range after the recent change to the Plaid edition. (I might have gone Plaid had the range been close to 400 miles.) With my commute, the extra range matters, especially in cold weather.

Are other 2023/24 model S owners seeing the range of 405 (or close to it)?

I'm considering buying a demo August 2023 long-range Model S (HW4) and trading in my late 2018 Model S 100D, which I love. I'd get the FSD transfer and cyber truck incentive.

My 2018S had a range of 335 miles when purchased, though when charged to 100% today, it only shows a range of 270. I sense part of the original 335-mile range was inflated by Tesla when I purchased the vehicle.

I'm intrigued by the 405 miles, which remains the same range after the recent change to the Plaid edition. (I might have gone Plaid had the range been close to 400 miles.) With my commute, the extra range matters, especially in cold weather.

Are other 2023/24 model S owners seeing the range of 405 (or close to it)?
The FSD transfer would be the only reason to do it I think. I have a feeling the Model S will get a big update in the next few years. But who knows when.
The 405 is the unrealistic EPA range of course so you only get that kind of range going maybe 60mph on a nice day.

The 405 is just as inflated in range (nothing has changed there).

The FSD transfer would be the only reason to do it I think. I have a feeling the Model S will get a big update in the next few years. But who knows when.
The 405 is the unrealistic EPA range of course so you only get that kind of range going maybe 60mph on a nice day.

The 405 is just as inflated in range (nothing has changed there).
I'm betting there isn't a refresh for two years, and I'm not going to wait that long because I'll be out of the 150,000 warranty limit. And I think refreshing the S is low on Tesla's priority list now.

If the range is north of 350 (realistic) - which I'd love to confirm with users - I'd be sold.

Reactions: dsm363