Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good lug nuts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the pages in the service manual that I printed so I wouldn't have to buy them the next time that I needed them. As you know the online manual can change at any time so I have no idea what information is in it now. The succeeding pages say not tighten the lug nuts with an impact wrench but is standard procedure for any car.
Curious that it qualifies its instruction, "Do not use an impact wrench to loosen tall lug nuts."

The pictures in the succeeding pages of the manual call closed end lug nuts tall and open ended short. I don’t have a clue why using impact wrenches is not recommended for tall lug nuts. Since the only cars that I work on now are my own, my air tools do nothing but sit in the tool box these days.

Currrent service manual (free, online, always updated):

1709916283013.png

I've never seen a Tall lug nut on Tesla, so in general you can use a impact on Teslas (not that they didn't use them at some point). In general, the reason you can't do this wth these kinds of lugs is because the cap is a thin peice of metal that is for looks and it gets asthetically damaged by the impact, not that the wheel will fall off.

Since the only cars that I work on now are my own, my air tools do nothing but sit in the tool box these days.
Get youreself a $130 electric impact from Amazon. It makes working on wheels so much nicer if you do them more than a few times a year. Everyone's air tools sit in a box these days!

Here's Titan 7 O.W.L Lug Nuts in 35mm vs 50mm for anyone curious.

1.png

Now available in cost-effective steel option:

-Danny

I've never seen a Tall lug nut on Tesla, so in general you can use a impact on Teslas (not that they didn't use them at some point).
@gearchruncher Model S came with the "tall" i.e. closed-end lug nuts originally, which made sense since the wheel designs then didn't have lug covers or aero covers.

I think the short open-ended nuts started with the newer wheel designs that have covers over the lugs.

The old full-size 18V DeWalt DW059 impact wrench with a hog ring was (is) a great value. I looked just a minute ago on Amazon and the newer 20V ones are $300! With the same max torque! Highway robbery.

The DW059 was $70, if memory serves, and it still works great. It looks like you can still get them on eBay for about that price, and at least in my hands, it has proven very difficult to destroy. (the same cannot be said of their drill/driver and right angle drivers, but the rotary hammer still works well)

The open acorn OEM nuts on the model 3 are quite nice and can take a real beating with an impact wrench. Probably a good idea to always start by hand threading them on, but after that, BRRRRAP. Then torque to 130 ft/lb and done.

Reactions: tm1v2