Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good, not too heavy and not too pricy rims for snow tires? 18" RWD.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I will be the first to admit that I probably could have done a better job searching but the search engine on the forum had not been that ideal. I know the title says Good, Light and Cheap and I can only have any of 2 of those. But how about something in the middle?

I have RWD LR with 18" Aeros and I'm in NNJ and looking for a decent winter setup. I'd like to try R3 tires but uncertain about rims. Can anyone suggest a decent setup? Also, do you guys knows if TPMS needs to be reprogrammed somehow or is it self learning? i.e: a new set of TPMS sensors can be added without service center or one needs to go there?

Thanks!

I stuck with the stock 18's and added snow tires. That allowed me to search up some summer rims which I won't need till April of next year.
My thoughts are they are a pretty good price point for either a summer rim with nice looks or a good stock winter rim. Should be easy to replace if one get damaged.

I have storage space. I know some don't, but switching back and forth on the same rims wasn't in the cards for me.

Snow tires are to each his/her own. So many variables. Ended up with Michelin's X-Ice 3's

Reactions: silentcorp
Writing from central Jersey. Went with the 18 inch package from TireRack. Made sure that they cleared the performance brakes and were the lightest I could find at a reasonable price.

18X8 TRMOTORSPORT C4 BLK PAINT - 20lbs 1 piece pressure cast
235/45R-18 DUNLOP WINTER MAXX WM02
TPS sensors
Center Caps
RETAINING rings
Hub Adapter
Black Lugs
Mounted Balanced & Programmed
Road Hazard
$1,532 Shipped after rebate

Attachments

• 20181124_135823.jpg
    20181124_135823.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_20181117_222812.jpg
    IMG_20181117_222812.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 246
Honestly I think the stock 18" aero wheels are some of the best all-around options going. Light, able to run the aero covers, widely available, look good.

I'm probably going to do what outdoors suggested. Run snows on the stock 18"s for now and then get a summer setup in spring, either stock 18"s or something nicer. The aero wheel cover is a pretty nice option for long trips.

I should add that normally I am a Blizzak (WS) or X-Ice guy on the other vehicles but when I was looking they were sold out everywhere. I go for a stud less winter tire as opposed to performance winter tire because I need to be able to get around if the roads are still unplowed. So I give up some dry weather winter performance with that choice.

Looks great!! I was also considering getting a package like that through Tirerack. Are you sure those tires are 235/45R18? I don't see them available in that size.

Also did the shop you took your car to have the appropriate jack adapters or did you supply them?

Here's what I am getting:

Konig Runlite 18x8
Michelin XICE Xi3 - 225/45R18
Re-using OE lug nuts
Hub rings from Amazon
Autec TPMS Sensors Programmed by SomeJoe7777

With mounting and install total is less than $1400

Writing from central Jersey. Went with the 18 inch package from TireRack. Made sure that they cleared the performance brakes and were the lightest I could find at a reasonable price.

TPS sensors
Center Caps
RETAINING rings
Hub Adapter
Black Lugs
Road Hazard

Looks great!! I was also considering getting a package like that through Tirerack. Are you sure those tires are 235/45R18? I don't see them available in that size.

Also did the shop you took your car to have the appropriate jack adapters or did you supply them?

Here's what I am getting:

Konig Runlite 18x8
Michelin XICE Xi3 - 225/45R18
Re-using OE lug nuts
Hub rings from Amazon
Autec TPMS Sensors Programmed by SomeJoe7777

With mounting and install total is less than $1400

If you get a package like that from tirerack that is already mounted and balanced why do you need to go to the shop? Jack up the car and swap them out.

TPS sensors
Center Caps
RETAINING rings
Hub Adapter
Black Lugs
Road Hazard

The offset is +32 thus requiring hub adapters? If so, I am not a fan of that, it feels a bit too ricey.
Honestly I think the stock 18" aero wheels are some of the best all-around options going. Light, able to run the aero covers, widely available, look good.

I'm probably going to do what outdoors suggested. Run snows on the stock 18"s for now and then get a summer setup in spring, either stock 18"s or something nicer. The aero wheel cover is a pretty nice option for long trips.

How much are they?

If you get a package like that from tirerack that is already mounted and balanced why do you need to go to the shop? Jack up the car and swap them out.

This.
I got the Reverse Logic Jack pads and swapped them myself.

When you look at the hub/rotor you'll understand why the centering hub adapter is needed. This isn't a spacer to aid in clearance of the big brakes on the performance pack. To me the spacers are ricey.

@duckm4n 100% sure on the tire size. I wouldn't be suprised if they were sold out. I ordered mine before that 1st snow we had a few weeks ago and my first 2 options were sold out. I know that those options were available around Halloween, but I snoozed and I lost. It is said though ,that slimmer tires are better in the snow than wide ones.

Just the wheels in the package were $153.40 each and the tires were 1$58.63 each and there is a $60 rebate on the tires.

I decided to go with aftermarket wheels since Tesla's winter package was a little pricey and out of stock. The wheels I bought are Velox (via Costco) and tires are Michelin X-Ice 3 in size 235/45R18.

The wheels are the "Apex" style in gloss black, they were on sale for $520 for black Friday, but now they're back up to $720 for a set.
Costco Wholesale
These wheels weighed in at 22.1 lbs when I measured on a scale.

Tires were $219 a piece through a local tire shop. I got a set of TPMS sensors from Amazon for $139, and Michelin has a $70 rebate right now, so my total price will be $1466 after rebate, not bad. I also bought a set of the reverse logic jack pads so that my local tire shop could safely lift my car - my M3 was only the second Tesla they have serviced.

Attachments

• 440CF13B-4DCB-4638-8547-14A4F737BE51.jpeg
    440CF13B-4DCB-4638-8547-14A4F737BE51.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 233
20181130_135822.jpg
i got these.. they worked great.. you will need some hubcentric rings 73.1 to 64.1 and cone style tuner lug nuts, let me know if you need more info.

Avid1 AV27 18x8.5 +35 5x114.3 Hyper Black (Set of 4) | eBay

4 ITM Tire Pressure Sensor 433MHz metal TPMS For TESLA MODEL 3 2017-18 | eBay

Circuit Performance Aluminum Hub Rings 73.1mm to 64.1mm (Set of 4)

Circuit Performance CP7SS1415HB-20 Forged Steel Spline Drive Lug Nut for Aftermarket Wheels: 14x1.5 Hyper Black - Pack of 20 + Tool

tires at tirebuyer.com

michelin_xicexi3_bw_58823_vary_jpg_s3_resize_58x58.jpg

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 - #75806
Studless Ice & Snow

Size: 235/45R18 Extra Load
Load/Speed Rating #: 98/H
Item #: 75806
Quantity: 4
Subtotal:

$665.84

Shipping charge:

FREE

Sales Tax Collected:

$0.00

Total paid by Credit Card:

$665.84

Last edited:
Hub ring adapters generally work fairly well but definitely much better to just source a wheel that has the right bore and eliminate an extra part and potential (albeit small) problem. My winter solution is ordering winter tires on my OEM 19" sport wheels and getting lighter aftermarket wheels for the stock tires for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: outdoors

Pretty much. Looking around I ended up ordering the TRMotosport C2 8.5x18 from Tirerack, $190 for 21lb, 38mm offset (along with some Sunday tires mounted on them, not winter tires). Which is basically the same as stock 21lb, 40mm, and barely cheaper. For this use I didn't care about the aero caps, so it was fine going this way. However for winter tires where you could use the aero caps for modestly better range I can't really say for sure it'd be worth the $30/tire savings ($10 for the rim, another $20 because they'd come with the tires balanced and mounted if you get those through Tirerack, too).

Tesla put a lot of work into those stock rims, I expect as part of their engineering efforts to squeeze out the last Wh/mile edge they could on budget.

That said, if you're going downsize on the rim width to 18x8 you should be able to find cheaper than this.

P.S. The C2s are on Tirerack's approved list the Model 3 (come with required centering rings, and nickel lug nuts). Unfortunately those rims were backordered at their Shreveport distribution center, so it'll be a couple weeks before I get them to confirm proper fit and all.