TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Google earth EV1 sightings

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TEG, Dec 7, 2010.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

2. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Interesting, it says that it is on a lot owned by Schlumberger Technology Corp. which is an oil exploration technologies firm...

3. edo

edo Member

(0.0) If someone had offered it up as a conspiracy theory I would have shrugged them off, but to see it with my own eyes...

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

There are probably more out there. Curious as to how they acquired the vehicle.

6. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I'm pretty sure google earth images are quite a few years behind. This pic could be 10 years old. Hopefully not.

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It says (c) 2010 at the bottom.

8. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

That copyright date doesn't have anything to do with the date the satelite pic was taken. I just looked at my house and it says (c)2010 too and the picture is at least 5 years old (Judging by the vehicles parked there).

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, Google "Street View" launched in 2007, so the close-up I found there probably isn't very old is it?

10. Nichen

Nichen Member

I think this is very interesting indeed. We all know that the last public EV1s were sent to the crusher 14th of march 2005. So the question is: why is there a EV1 on this lot in..at the earliest; 2007?

11. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

That's assuming they used fresh images, which they do not due to national security.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I don't think Google Street View had much of a pre-2007 data set to work with.
    As far as I know, the Street View cars started doing photo runs through minor streets only later.

The "Google Maps" / "Google Earth" view from above dataset was different. They had old Keyhole data going way back.
    So, yeah, the view from above could have been old, but the I think the Street View points to much more recent acquisition.

I had noticed that Street View images on my own residential street were often within months of current, so I don't think they intentionally delay them very much.

13. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I couldn't access my address through street view, so I can't compare. I wonder what their update criteria is?

If I had to guess that satelite image of my house when I looked today is from early 2005.

14. shark2k

shark2k Member

I can see the solar panels on my parents house which were installed in June/July 2009.

-Shark2k

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My house was built in 2004, and the satellite image has been updated at least twice since then.

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Don't know where I read it but I think the delay is at least 6 months, but they do update it fairly regularly.

17. Nichen

Nichen Member

Guys you are missing the point! Google streetview started in 2007! And that picture with the EV1 from google streetview can't be older than from 2007! Just call google themselves if you don't believe me. So who's the owner of that EV1?

18. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

OK, so I finally got a chance to play with google streetview on my other computer. I looked at a whole lot of different familiar locations, in various states. ALL of the older images that I tried to zoom into get really blurry to the point where it's hard to identify vehicles other than by color. The more rural the place, the older the pics seem to be.

Since this EV1 has really good resolution pics, these might be recent images so there is a possibility it is a survivor. I wouldn't bank on it though.

Anybody here live close enough to this location that could go "snoop" a little?

19. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I was going to say, anyone in the area care to drive past and see if that San Diego bus and the two semi-trucks are parked there?

I believe the trucks are late pre-2003 model Freightliner C120s (from the grill), so they could be old pics as the trucks are quite clean :cool: