Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Map update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the USA, my Model S and Model 3 have different maps... There is a road whose speed limit was reduced about 1 year ago from 55mph to 45mph... Model S knows about the change, Model 3 still thinks the limit is 55mph. So the cars must use different mapping databases. I heard the Model S uses google maps for the center console display and garmin mapping for the heads up display. I'm going to guess Model 3 uses google for all data.

Doubt it will be addressed soon but you can try to report it as a bug and request it to be updated (hold down the voice command button on steering wheel).
Software features should be fairly easy to rollout for Tesla. This (along with a lot of other things) could be stuck in some regulatory limbo or the effort just isn't worth the reward.

It would seem we are just not a market Tesla cares about...

Sadly the revision on FRT was just a big middle finger to Elon's visit in 2016.
Hope the model 3 brings back the big wave of EV adoption from 2015-2016.

• Love
Reactions: kkeeiith
There are a number of different maps that the car uses. The map that you see on the screen is for display only. There's another map that's not visible that the car uses for navigation. And then when you ask the car to navigate, and it has Internet connectivity, the routing is accomplished in the cloud, on yet another map.

It's not a straightforward answer.

The US onboard maps have been update once a year around March.

If model 3 uses a different map then I see a even less chance of an updated google map for existing model S and X users in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong recently launched the biggest supercharger station at FT life with 12 stalls so there is upgrade going on, but I think that is catered mainly for potential model 3 sales as stalls in HK are almost always full.

To be honest I think the focus now for Tesla is the China market, and given the HK has very different regulations, design (left vs right hand drive, charger design) I don’t think the market is just big enough for Tesla to bother. The Shanghai gigafactory doesn’t even manufacture right hand drives.

Hong Kong's map is quiet outdated compared to the US counterpart... we don't even have the traffic aware routing feature from a year ago...

It would seem we are just not a market Tesla cares about...

With no digital maps here from Government, and relatively small market for mapping, it is a tough environment. Tesla buy in their mapping data from an OEM, and it is the OEM responsible for updating it. I use Tesla, Google Maps, and Waze - and neither are perfect.

With no digital maps here from Government, and relatively small market for mapping, it is a tough environment. Tesla buy in their mapping data from an OEM, and it is the OEM responsible for updating it. I use Tesla, Google Maps, and Waze - and neither are perfect.
Yes but I think what the OP means is that the onboard Maps on the MCU is provided by Google and it is that which is outdated compared to it's online/mobile counterpart...

I am not sure that governments actually do the mapping but it is quiet normal for mapping services (Google included) to buy their map data from local mapping companies or even it's competitors such as MapKing and AutoNavi etc.

However that is besides the point... there are places that exists/updated on the online/mobile Google Maps which does not exist on the Tesla Google Map... which means Tesla actually loads an outdated revision of the Google Map even over the air...

But I suspect this maybe due to the fact that the MCU and CID uses 2 different navigation software and they can only be as updated as the software that isn't updated in real time which is the mapping data on the CID which uses Garmin/Navigon

And by my last post, I have mentioned that not only is Hong Kong's mapping data is very much outdated... so is our mapping software...

We did not get the new map engine which was released in late 2017 to US cars and we did not get the traffic aware navigation released in early 2018 to US cars.

Attached is what I see on my 2014 Hong Kong Model S.
  • The google background maps are live and dated (c) 2019.
  • The navigation map data is provided by NAV2 (Shanghai) Co., Ltd and is dated (c) 2017, with publication date 2017.
I assume the OP is confusing the two. I find the background image maps fine and reasonably up to date; it is the navigation map data (NAV2 Shanghai 2017) that is mostly horrible.

Regards, Mark.

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_6024.JPG

My in-car Google Map says 2019 too but when I drive on the new bridge from the airport (part of the new HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge)... it shows that I am in the sea...

At least this was the case last month when I last travelled there...

This bridge exists on the online Google Map as well as iOS...

I will take a photo in the afternoon when I get back in my car.

Last edited: