Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Maps maps but not Google Maps navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does indeed use a customized version of Navigon, and it is not as up to date as Google Maps. The routines can be bizarre and the lack of route options is frustrating. I do hope they update this at some point!

I am finding now (for 2yrs now) google app on iPhone has greater fidelity for finding locations, and the route options have saved my bacon several times on longer trips. Usually I use media to pair to my phone, and follow google app's voice instructions over speakers until the MCU Navigation catches up. I don't like it at all that my silly phone freeware has better Nav functionality than a tesla 'powered by google'. Poll anyone? Route options, improved map accuracy, learning algorithms? Every time I drive to the cottage (every 2 wks) - Tesla nav tries to send me down a logging road, and completely misses two major highways that are in fact shorter routes. Bizarre is right.

Here in some parts of Brussels, the Nav does not take one way streets into account. As a consequence, I found myself in a very embarrassing situation taking a narrow street in the wrong direction. That was on day ONE when I was not used at all of the width of the MS, which is rather unusual in Europe. My iPhone got it right though. I thought it was just one glitch or mapping error, but no, today it insisted very much to have me take impossible directions in places where traffic has not changed in decades... The car may come from the future, but its nav system is from very long ago.