Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps? What's the difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P

PaulR

There's a continual discussion on the forums regarding the maps used by Tesla and other applications. Each of us has our preference, some like WAZE, some like Google, some like Apple. Not sure if anyone really likes the GPS maps that Tesla uses (fodder for another discussion). What's the difference? The referenced article by Justin O'Beirne lists many of them as he compares Google to Apple.

Though this article (a first of a series) addresses only some of the differences between Google and Apple, it gives an insight into the problems a GPS or map maker has to worry about. Incredibly detailed, but gives one an appreciation of what is at stake in the race for the "universal map"....

Take a look at Cartography Comparison: Google Maps & Apple Maps

Enjoy!

PaulR

For the longest time only Waze had my correct street name and map. Google had the name correct briefly, then reverted to incorrect street names but the map was not right until this year. Now all three finally have the map right. I've had this road and this house for eight years and submitted multiple correction requests to G and A since the construction days; for Waze I just edited the map myself.

Apple Maps was so bad when it launched that I switched to the standalone Google Maps app and have been using it ever since. Apple may have improved since then, but they shouldn't have launched such a poor quality product. I'm sure many are the same way, although others probably just use Apple because that is what is loaded by default on the iPhone.

I agree all to well that both Apple and Google have their problems (as do so all of the others). My aim was to raise awareness as to the complexity of making such an application. The article is interesting in outlining the many choices and tradeoffs a mapmaker must make to supply a quality product.

The uniqueness of Waze is it's crowdsourcing of data. It is a brilliant concept and works very well. Hopefully the others will see the merit in such a concept too.

I personally prefer Waze for it's up-to-date data, but it too has tradeoffs (lesser detailing and a more simplified display).

In any case I wasn't promoting one over the other, just recognizing what a complicated task they have to do.

If you think about it (as the article notes) the winner stands to gain a lot by being the map of choice around the world.

Don't get lost ;)

With Google maps you can drag across either ocean from the USA and compare relative size, like for example how would France look if placed over the US. You just get a general idea however rather than a proper overlay projection. Does anyone know how to do an overlay with map images, where one map would be transparent?
--