Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google+ video hangouts (TSLA & other investments)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it will be recorded. And broadcasted live as well here:

It took a little more time than I expected to pull this together into a post, but below are the basics of my modeling of the core auto business for Tesla I mentioned in the google hangout.

Before I get into the numbers, here’s a little context on why I’ve taken this approach to valuing Tesla. I am quite confident that even confining a forecast to a conservative take on only the parts of Tesla’s business I think we can have considerable confidence projecting 8-10 years out strongly indicates that Tesla is substantially undervalued based on fundamentals. In other words, the value of other businesses in development at Tesla (such as the Tesla Network, and Tesla’s as yet unannounced strategies with both the semi truck and the smaller urban bus currently under development) which have tremendous potential but could have wildly varying outcomes are not needed(1) at current prices to justify a bullish position. Of course, if the stock price rises above the valuation of the core auto business before the other opportunities become more realistic to forecast, this valuation approach will be at the limits of its useful application.

I think many underestimate how possible it is to do a reasonable valuation of Tesla’s core auto business 8-10 years out. That the ease and utility of such a forecast is misunderstood is not surprising, as 1) it is very unusual for such a long range forecast to be meaningful for a high growth business, 2) for several years there appears to have been something of an ongoing campaign to convince the public that Tesla is not and cannot be rationally valued despite the fact that the analysts covering the stock do indeed use the tools of fundamental analysis to build models to do precisely this. The ongoing seeming campaign to misinform I mentioned is found in the repetition of the “can’t value the darn thing”, “story stock”, “completely detached from fundamentals”, “cult stock” mantras we’ve seen for years. Hopefully this post helps some realize that Tesla’s basic auto business can be rationally valued, and it’s not so difficult to jump in and make your own rough forecasts with whatever assumptions you find most compelling. Fwiw, I recommend creating multiple scenarios to determine a range of valuations.

On to the model...

I’m going to list the key inputs one needs for this basic model, and put in italics my assumption here for this example of a forecast of Tesla c.2025-26 (in projected 2025-26 dollars):

Auto Business Volume, Average Sale Price, Operating Margin (2) by vehicle: (2.510 million total)

Model 3: 1 million, $45K, 11%

Model Y: 1 million, $47K, 11%

Tesla Pickup Truck: 350K, $50K, 12%

Model S/X: 150K, $110K, 13%

Roadster: 10K, $140K, 15%

Operating Profit from core Vehicle Business: $14.575 Billion

Tesla Energy, Conservative Scenario

Volume: 50 gWh (50 million kWh)

ASP: $200 kWh

Operating Margin: 15%

Operating Profit from TE Business: $1.5 billion

Total Operating Profit: $16.075 billion

Effective Tax Rate: 25%

Earnings: $12.056 billion

Increase in Share Count(3): 75 million shares

2025/26 Share Count: 235 million shares

EPS: $51.30

Expected Annual Earnings 5-Year Growth Rate beyond 2026(3): 15% to 25%

PEG(4) : 1.5

PE (PEG*Growth Rate): 22.5-37.5

Projected 2025/26 stock price: $1155-$1925 (market cap $265 billion to $442 billion)

If you like, from here you can use a discount rate of your own choosing to estimate the present fair value of the stock.

Notes:

(1) I think there’s a reasonable case to be made that to merit the PE of the high end of the valuation range in this example, Tesla in 2025/26 will either need to look like it will reach Toyota volumes in another 5 to 6 years and continue from there to grow roughly 50% faster than the auto industry as a whole (which I do think is possible), or, the market will need to value the potential that other markets like those I’ve not included in the earnings model will be growing earnings for Tesla five years further out (by about 2030). Put another way, to justify a PE near 40, Tesla in 2026 may need to look like it’s headed to be an automaker with market share beyond the share the world’s largest automaker has in 2017, or, a business that is “more than an automaker.”

(2) My memory is of Elon using the phrase “net profits” when describing expectations of reaching low to mid teen profitability. I made a brief search for Elon’s comments to clarify this, but did not find them. Given that the media descriptions of profitability I’ve seen on other automakers focus on gross profits or operating profits, and Porsche, whom Tesla aspires to approach in profitability, has a 15% operating margin, I assume that the low to mid teen profit rate target Elon has stated numerous times refers to operating margin rather than net margin. As operating profit takes into account the depreciation of plants and equipment, this model in effect incorporates Tesla’s expectations for the cost of additional plants and equipment. While the expense of the coming capex for these new plants is taken care of in the operating margin, in point (3) below I discuss modelling the growth in share count that also needs to be taken into account if the money for the capex spending will in part come from future secondary offerings.

(3) Estimating Tesla’s future capex needs, employee stock compensation and the increase to the share count to pay for both could be a separate model of its own. While I think this is worth diving into more deeply, in fact, I hope some of us take this on, I think the rough estimate here of increased shares is conservative enough to allow people to play with the model as is (of course, feel free to tweak the assumed amount of additional shares needed as you like). As far as this model taking a conservative approach on share count, even if Tesla were to need to issue another 30 million shares beyond the additional shares I’ve forecasted here, this model’s projection of Tesla’s 2025/26 share price would still be $1,025 to $1705.

I assume Tesla will add about 75 million shares, or about 47% over their current count to cover shares granted to employees and offered in secondaries over the next 8-10 years for any of the funding of future factories for which retained earnings not adequate. Of course, Tesla may substantially shift to using loans rather than secondaries, in which case, they would have interest expense impacting their earnings, but a smaller increase in the share count.

I’ve used the 75 million rough estimate of the increase in the share count, which comes to about a 15% larger increase in share count from today through 2025/26 than the roughly 65 million shares Tesla has added since it went public in 2010. While Tesla will have more employees to grant shares to in the next 8 to 9 years than the past 7, 1) the shares are already a 10X more powerful unit of currency than they were pre-Spring 2013, 2) 10-15 million of the past share increase was from the Solar City acquisition, and 3) Tesla will have dramatically more money from their sales of existing products to help pay for growth than they did in the past. I estimate that between now and the end of 2024, ongoing operations of the core auto business will provide $20-25 billion of cash which Tesla can invest in new plants and equipment. What’s more, there is the possibility that one or more of the other businesses under development could generate cash on a similar scale in this time period.

It would be helpful to research some finer detail on Tesla’s stock compensation policy to project future share distributions. I’m not totally clear how much of stock compensation already committed to is reflected in the current 160 million share count, and such research would also be helpful in modeling shares needed for compensation plans yet to be added that will impact the share count in 2025/26.

Finally, I think the amount of additional capex needed to reach the volumes assumed in this model could vary very significantly from roughly $20 billion to $45 billion, due to factors such as, a) how successful Tesla is in re-engineering the machine that builds the machine (i.e., potential for more efficient use of capital with “alien dreadnoughts”), b) the range of incentives Tesla might receive from governments competing to entice Tesla to build a GF and/or auto factory in their jurisdiction, c) Panasonic’s TBD future role in the financing of GFs, d) increasing cell energy density from improving cell chemistry leading to more output for each dollar spent on the equipment to build the cells, e) inflation’s impact on the cost of building and equipping these factories).

(4) I assume a PEG of 1.5, considerably more conservative than the S&P 500’s current PEG of 2.1 (using a current PE of 24.84 and State Street Global Advisors reporting of an 11.94% earnings 3-5 year growth rate for the S&P 500 (they describe their methodology for the growth rate projection as using earnings estimates for the index’s underlying holdings from FactSet, First Call, I/B/E/S Consensus and Reuters)).

As I mentioned on the hangout, I really recommend learning more about PEG, popularized by Peter Lynch, if you’re not too familiar with it. I didn’t mention it then, but among other things, it’s a very helpful tool in walking through a rational reconciliation of Tesla’s valuation to other automakers.

Additional Notes, Discussion Points:

(5) I referred to my assumptions here as a conservative take on Tesla’s core auto business. Is 2.5 million vehicles conservative? If you think either a) long range EVs will be a niche part of the auto market in 8-10 years, or b) the other automakers will switch to producing tens of millions of such EVs within that timeframe, my assumptions may look aggressive to you. If you think there will be a gap in the 2020s between the amount of long range EVs available and the demand for them, these assumptions are conservative. I created a thread a couple of months ago making a pretty detailed case for the latter.

(6) I have more confidence in being able to make an estimate for the core auto business than TE. I put TE in anyway because 1) there already are sales, 2) even if my volumes turn out not to be conservative some of this will be made up for if Tesla continues selling solar panels and roofs for which I have not put in any earnings (I also did not put in earnings from several other smaller core automotive sources such as the CPO businesses, a simple base semi truck business of selling the semis, and battery upgrades to older vehicles), and 3) its contribution to the valuation is only about 10%.

(7) Tesla Service and the SuperChargers are not included in this model as they are assumed to run at break even. Tesla has publically stated this if their policy for the service centers, but the SuperChargers do have the potential to be a source of profits.

(8) I’ve chosen to model 2.5 million in sales. I actually think Tesla will have 3 sets of GFs and Auto plants up and running by then, likely producing about 3 million vehicles per year. One of these locations will most likely be in China, where it is very probable Tesla would be sharing costs and profits with a partner. I think modelling for 2.5 million sales is a simple means of hedging for Tesla sharing the profits from their sales in China with a partner.

(9) I’ve not put any interest expense or repayment of existing debt into the model. I base this on the assumption that Solar City’s currently contracted business is sufficient to pay for the debt and interest due on Tesla’s debt, most of it from Solar City. I’ve not modelled here additional earnings from future solar panel or roof sales.

(10) Please feel free to point out anything you think is substantial that this simplified model of the core auto business has missed. At this point I’m aware of some possible auto business cash generators I’ve omitted (semi trucks, the CPO business, potential SuperCharger profits, and profits from replacement battery upgrades on older vehicles), but not expenses. Please let me know if it looks like I missed something, particularly an oversight that leads to an overestimate of the company’s value.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to hear more of Jesse's thoughts, and a more balanced discussion of them. In response to his statement about the alien dreadnaught production someone said that anyone could do that by throwing money at it, and that they don't have a moat. It was also implied that it's not real.

IMO they don't need a moat. Look at all of the successful oem's. Mercedes , BMW, Porsche, Toyota, Honda, GM and Ford. Do any of those companies have moats?

Not real?! Elon has said multiple times that he is very confident about that. Has everyone seen the video of the reused rocket landing on the barge? He also said that if your competitors require five plants to produce what you produce using one plant that isn't competion. They've already done three for one production at the Gigafactory.

Throw money at it? Who else is working on it (Elon's Production Epiphany)? If another oem has already started working on this best case they are a couple of years behind. Does anyone believe that they have the humility to do that now? It's probably going to elvolve in a similar way to Fords assembly line innovations. Eventually everyone will do it, but Ford had a head start that was sufficient to help set them up for a hundred years.

Jesse was interrupted more than once by claims that another method is superior. I think that Jesse was presenting a theory (I'm not sure, because he was interrupted) about the reasons that some institutions are buying Tesla at the current prices . Even if the other method delivers superior results I don't believe that institutions are either currently using it, or are likely to adopt it. I'm not criticizing the original method.

Thanks MitchJi but admittedly I was doing a poor job of articulating my point. Really there is no theory, I am just regurgitating what Elon/Tesla has said and putting 1 + 1 together.

Tesla is committing more engineers and efforts to designing the "machine and builds the machine" than designing the car itself. Elon has stated that shortterm it is Autopilot and long term it will be manufacturing that will be Tesla's competitive advantage. He has over and over mentioned the Alien Dreadnaught.

Why? And what does it mean?

This all, obviously, leads to automation and more efficient manufacturing, which in turn leads to higher margins, which is the crux of my valuation argument. It is expected future tech margins(from automation) that gives TSLA a tech valuation today(as opposed to auto) when you account for growth.

Now is this speculation, and too far off in the future? It is, if saying battery costs will come down in the future is also speculation. Is Alien Dreadnaught too much of a guess or dream to base valuation on? It is, if the Gigafactory was also a guess and dream. Just because you had to break ground and build the Gigafactory does not make it more "real" than the Alien Dreadnaught which is being designed and assembled, unless you believe Elon is lying about having more engineers design the factory than products. If he isn't, then what is the point of these engineers, and what is the outcome - if not higher margin?

As for why don't the established manufacturers just do this, that is a bit silly. Why didn't Walmart come up with Amazon.com? Why didn't GM build the Model S?

Sure they could copy this eventually once it is proven to work. But my theory is that the full automation that Tesla is aiming for is only made possible from the simplified EV architecture, which will be fully taken advantage of in the Model 3(eventually, AD version 1 or 2). In order to replicate this, the incumbents would have to switch over to selling EVs which will be a long and painful transition for them.

Now admittedly, there is a lot of assumption and speculation here. That this is more of a qualitative look at the company than quantitative. But do not be mistaken, a DCF model going out 10 years is equally if not more speculative, which is why I donot like using them. There is so much that can happen in that timeframe, with the company, with the world, that any small misjudgment now could create a butterfly effect later. Think back 4 years ago and try to come up with a DCF model for TSLA. You would be missing out on TE, Solar, Autopilot, Tesla network, Semi, truck, Model Y. What makes you think in 5 to 10 years they would have the same product pipeline and targeted markets as today?

In 2014 Elon stated that Tesla's goal was to approach Porsche margins when they are eventually at scale. That would be close to 50%. This is before he had his epiphany on manufacturing and building a factory like a microchip. If you believe this, it would justify a tech like multiple because that is tech like margins. To assume a low 20s margin 5 to 10 years down the line, that to me only makes sense if you believe Elon and Tesla are completely wrong. To me, that is highly speculative.

To add to this, it is easy to think about what functionally happens at the factory and forget about who makes it happen. Sure VAG might have the engineering talent to execute the idea of alien dreadnought. But it's a big question mark if they as an organization have what it takes to take the risks and steps necessary: reallocate resources, realign org structures, delay or re-prioritize committed model release plans, etc. In other words, do they have the leadership that both has enough flexibility in the org they operate to be able to execute on such a bold move, and have enough motivation to do so. Quite clearly they've been very much complacent so far. Now that they start to catch up to the idea that they're facing an existential threat, maybe they can get something done. But doing things out of fear rarely ends up well.

Hi gang - will there be a hangout after Tesla reports earnings? I would enjoy being part of the chat. Been invested in the stock since 2013. Let me know if you are looking for specific qualifications.

Thanks MitchJi but admittedly I was doing a poor job of articulating my point. Really there is no theory, I am just regurgitating what Elon/Tesla has said and putting 1 + 1 together.

Tesla is committing more engineers and efforts to designing the "machine and builds the machine" than designing the car itself. Elon has stated that shortterm it is Autopilot and long term it will be manufacturing that will be Tesla's competitive advantage. He has over and over mentioned the Alien Dreadnaught.

This all, obviously, leads to automation and more efficient manufacturing, which in turn leads to higher margins, which is the crux of my valuation argument. It is expected future tech margins(from automation) that gives TSLA a tech valuation today(as opposed to auto) when you account for growth.

Now is this speculation, and too far off in the future? It is, if saying battery costs will come down in the future is also speculation. Is Alien Dreadnaught too much of a guess or dream to base valuation on? It is, if the Gigafactory was also a guess and dream. Just because you had to break ground and build the Gigafactory does not make it more "real" than the Alien Dreadnaught which is being designed and assembled, unless you believe Elon is lying about having more engineers design the factory than products. If he isn't, then what is the point of these engineers, and what is the outcome - if not higher margin?

As for why don't the established manufacturers just do this, that is a bit silly. Why didn't Walmart come up with Amazon.com? Why didn't GM build the Model S?

Sure they could copy this eventually once it is proven to work. But my theory is that the full automation that Tesla is aiming for is only made possible from the simplified EV architecture, which will be fully taken advantage of in the Model 3(eventually, AD version 1 or 2). In order to replicate this, the incumbents would have to switch over to selling EVs which will be a long and painful transition for them.

Now admittedly, there is a lot of assumption and speculation here. That this is more of a qualitative look at the company than quantitative. But do not be mistaken, a DCF model going out 10 years is equally if not more speculative, which is why I donot like using them. There is so much that can happen in that timeframe, with the company, with the world, that any small misjudgment now could create a butterfly effect later. Think back 4 years ago and try to come up with a DCF model for TSLA. You would be missing out on TE, Solar, Autopilot, Tesla network, Semi, truck, Model Y. What makes you think in 5 to 10 years they would have the same product pipeline and targeted markets as today?

In 2014 Elon stated that Tesla's goal was to approach Porsche margins when they are eventually at scale. That would be close to 50%. This is before he had his epiphany on manufacturing and building a factory like a microchip. If you believe this, it would justify a tech like multiple because that is tech like margins. To assume a low 20s margin 5 to 10 years down the line, that to me only makes sense if you believe Elon and Tesla are completely wrong. To me, that is highly speculative.

On the earnings call there was a question about the $700B market cap that Elon talked about before and whether he still believes that is achievable. Elon's answer:

"The set of steps necessary to achieve that outcome seems pretty obvious. And heavily involves Tesla getting incredibly good at the machine that builds the machine."

Can someone tell me why "the machine that builds the machine", aka automation, would be relevant to a question regarding valuation? And not only relevant, but in Elon's eyes the key to Tesla's future valuation. The answer is super obvious, and the same reason why any company automates anything at all instead of hand building it.

Like I said, this needs to be taken into account in any valuation model, otherwise Tesla's current valuation simple does not make sense and the bears would be right.

"Can someone tell me...."

The really really high-level answer: Leveraging of fixed costs over large volumes vs. having variable costs which scale up with volume.
To go into more detail, automation replaces variable costs (line labor) with fixed costs.

On the earnings call there was a question about the $700B market cap that Elon talked about before and whether he still believes that is achievable. Elon's answer:

"The set of steps necessary to achieve that outcome seems pretty obvious. And heavily involves Tesla getting incredibly good at the machine that builds the machine."

Can someone tell me why "the machine that builds the machine", aka automation, would be relevant to a question regarding valuation? And not only relevant, but in Elon's eyes the key to Tesla's future valuation. The answer is super obvious, and the same reason why any company automates anything at all instead of hand building it.

Like I said, this needs to be taken into account in any valuation model, otherwise Tesla's current valuation simple does not make sense and the bears would be right.

My impression is that he is not referring just to automation, but also volumetric and other efficiencies that we'll see in the final alien dreadnaught factory.

The idea being that if Tesla has superfactories that put out more product in less time at a lower cost, they'll dominate the market and justify the valuation.

Jesse, not sure if your question is rhetorical, as you've said, the answer is super obvious. If not rhetorical, wouldn't the valuation relevance be lower cost of revenue from scalability, concentrated & condensed. It's a strong "capital light" move, going beyond the cost savings of automation alone. If Tesla can produce 5x-20x the number of cars per cubic meter of factory space, it's the equivalent savings of the costs to build 5x-20x factories - and, as only one example, the separately configured logistics needed to supply those diverse locations with parts to be assembled. Apply that to all of a factory's activities, the savings compound much the same way that the scale of Gigafactory 1 reduces unit battery costs at the cell, module, and pack level.
Condensed scalability would also seem to offer a more nimble throttle control over asset production levels when needed down the road.

And this would affect valuation by increasing *blank*.
Uh, profits. (And cash flow.) Which are the two most common things on which valuation is based.

In a number of ways, all of which are side effects of the really high-level answer I gave before.
You most obviously increase gross profit margin at the expense of higher fixed capital costs.
If you have enough volume, it feeds into increased net profit margin.
If you can build the capital more efficiently (produce the automation equipment more cheaply), then you have improved return on tangible capital too.

Yes, the question was rhetorical.

I just saw this interview on Friday that summarizes my thoughts well(minus the skepticism).

Is Tesla overvalued? ‘Dean of Valuation’ Damodaran weighs in

There are two sides of the equation when it comes to valuation: the revenue/growth(of revenue) side, and the profit/margin side.

The vast majority of discussion I see on TMC focuses on the first side, when that alone cannot justify Tesla's valuation today(even accounting for growth). With the machine that makes the machine, the second side of the equation is addressed, and to Elon(which he once again repeated on the earnings call), that is the key to unlocking Tesla's eventual valuation.

Last edited:
Yes, the question was rhetorical.

I just saw this interview on Friday that summarizes my thoughts well(minus the skepticism).

Is Tesla overvalued? ‘Dean of Valuation’ Damodaran weighs in

There are two sides of the equation when it comes to valuation: the revenue/growth(of revenue) side, and the profit/margin side.
Tesla will do in 3 years what it took Porsche 10 years to do, says analyst

Tesla will do in three years what took Porsche a decade to do, an analyst said Monday.

The electric car maker is an "extreme growth story" that cannot be valued in the same way large automakers are, said Evercore ISI analyst George Galliers said in a research note.

Following the build out of the Model 3, Tesla has the potential to achieve sustainable gross margins comparable to those of high-end German auto brands, while growing more like a rapidly advancing Chinese automaker, he said.

The rates at which Tesla's top-line metrics are growing are unrivaled, Galliers said. Tesla's unit sales grew just over 50 percent last year and automotive revenues rose 70 percent. Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said he expects this rate of growth to continue.

"To put Tesla's growth in context," Galliers said, "we note it took Porsche 10 years and four
product lines to grow from" about 35,000 units to just under 100,000. And that was with four different product lines, compared with Tesla's three. "Even with only a small contribution from the more affordable Model 3, Tesla is on course to achieve similar growth in only 3 years."

At the same time, "Tesla's unadjusted gross margin of 25 percent last year is impressive by any standard," he said.

Indeed, Tesla is burning massive amounts of cash now. In the short term, Tesla is spending a lot on the Model 3.

Galliers estimated that without the Model 3-related spending, Tesla's gross margin could grow to around 30 percent, putting it roughly on par with Porsche.

After the Model 3 buildout, Galliers expects Tesla can sustain gross margins of 25 percent, which would place it above BMW and Mercedes and just below Porsche.

He added, an EBIT margin range of roughly 12 percent to 15 percent is achievable in the long-term, once growth normalizes, and costs begin to flatten. "In other words," he said, "Tesla has the potential to achieve margins that are double those of US peers today."
<Snip>

<snip>
Now admittedly, there is a lot of assumption and speculation here. That this is more of a qualitative look at the company than quantitative. But do not be mistaken, a DCF model going out 10 years is equally if not more speculative, which is why I do not like using them. There is so much that can happen in that timeframe, with the company, with the world, that any small misjudgment now could create a butterfly effect later. Think back 4 years ago and try to come up with a DCF model for TSLA. You would be missing out on TE, Solar, Autopilot, Tesla network, Semi, truck, Model Y. What makes you think in 5 to 10 years they would have the same product pipeline and targeted markets as today?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you didn't say that, or if I missed it, but it's a valuable concept.

Another way to look at this (that doesn't capture solar among other things) is to think about the financial impact that can be inferred from five GF's (1,3,4,5 and 6). Elon said that the worlds transition to sustainable energy will require about 100 GF's the same size as GF1.

According to their announced plans plans GF1 will support about 1.5 million cars but the MY production is supposed to be between 2.5 million and 5 million cars per year. That means that future GF's will need to be at least twice as big if they only support a single MY production line, plus a proportional amount of TE.

Even at the same size (which I think is unlikely) five GF's will produce enough capacity to provide for five percent of the world's transition to sustainable energy. That means buffering with TE five percent of the world's energy and producing about five percent of the five percent of the vehicles required to transition the world to sustainable transportation. That is HUGE! It looks like if the big OEM's don't get on board that Tesla-Elon intend to do this by themselves. It's not at all surprising that Elon said that he believes Tesla's market cap will exceed Apple's. He's probably sandbagging! I have no idea of the percentage of the world's population uses ~$800 iPhones, but I'm confident that the dollar amount is much less than buffering 5% of the world's energy and providing five percent of the world's vehicles.