Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a call for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feb 2020 and got one already...WTF Tesla?

Also, WTF does “not covered” mean on a brand new car being delivered?

Building cars is similar to making movies. The goal is to get it done as quickly as possible. Any errors can be “fixed in post “.

Delivery centers are under pressure to get as many sales completed as fast as possible. They want to see you out the door, because only then is the sale booked. Most of the issues I’ve seen them claim that are “not covered“ are quickly and unquestionably fixed at service centers.

I was for sure surprised. I didn't even know how to react to that, so I said "uh huh, okay" - I wasn't going to walk away from picking up the car over a panel issue, and I think the guy knew that.

Well that's how my delivery went. "Within specs" when I pointed out alignment issues. They used white paint to touch up pearl white so I wasn't too happy about that and will be the main reason I am returning it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ihdiot
Well that's how my delivery went. "Within specs" when I pointed out alignment issues. They used white paint to touch up pearl white so I wasn't too happy about that and will be the main reason I am returning it.

You're returning for a refund or just getting it fixed? My understanding is, if you return it and then order another Model Y, you can't order the same configuration (e.g. if you ordered a PUP you can't order another PUP). Not sure if that is still the case.

You're returning for a refund or just getting it fixed? My understanding is, if you return it and then order another Model Y, you can't order the same configuration (e.g. if you ordered a PUP you can't order another PUP). Not sure if that is still the case.

Return for refund. I will probably wait until next year to order the Performance again.
I cannot justify nearly 65K car and still have to take it in to get the paint fixed. And assume the paint fix doesn't come out to my expectations, I will be stuck with a car with a bad taste. Knowing Tesla and their "within spec".

• Disagree
Reactions: Matsayz and Ihdiot
Return for refund. I will probably wait until next year to order the Performance again.
I cannot justify nearly 65K car and still have to take it in to get the paint fixed. And assume the paint fix doesn't come out to my expectations, I will be stuck with a car with a bad taste. Knowing Tesla and their "within spec".

If you like the car overall, I suggest considering just having them touch it up correctly. It is easy to do and you'll have the car you wanted now.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Took delivery of our Model Y LR Pearl White, black interior, Gemini wheels, FSD, VIN #60XX today in Portland, Oregon (order date of February 14, 2020, VIN assigned this past Monday). Our first Tesla, so it's basically an entirely different planet from our 13 year old Honda Civic and I am generally over the moon. A couple of notes:

1) I did a pretty thorough walk through (at least, that I could deduce from notes from everyone about taking delivery). There were some minor noticeable ticks in the paint, maybe a couple of millimeters long - at least three around corner edges on the car. The delivery center touched them up right away.

2) The only panel that I could see was mis-aligned big time was the back trunk from side to side (it is pretty much riding against the side on the right and maybe half an inch away from the side on the left. When I pointed that out and asked for it to be fixed, the delivery guy was like "sure, I see that, but that is purely cosmetic, the latch still locks, so we are not going to fix that because it's not covered." Uhh, good to know, I guess. When we got home, I was having difficulty latching the rear trunk and almost called in, but then realized that the little leather loop that lifts up the rear floor cover was getting in the way of the latch (as has been pointed out before, but I had forgotten). When I tucked that back in, the rear trunk closed fine, every time.

Going on a longish road trip for the day tomorrow (to give some furniture to family - I was able to fit a dining room table and 6 chairs in the back of the Y, which has a ridiculous amount of space), so I'll have a much better sense overall of the car after that, but for now, it's a ton of fun.

can you post picture of the alignment issue? So that those of us having hard to picturing it know what to look out for in our deliveries?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I was for sure surprised. I didn't even know how to react to that, so I said "uh huh, okay" - I wasn't going to walk away from picking up the car over a panel issue, and I think the guy knew that.
Have to hold Tesla accountable. Threaten to return it. Not ok. They can't be allowed to keep getting away with this bs. "Do you want the car or not" even unspoken is not acceptable treatment of a customer spending 60k on a car.

Reactions: Matsayz
If you like the car overall, I suggest considering just having them touch it up correctly. It is easy to do and you'll have the car you wanted now.

The issue is how they did the touch up, how can I trust them to do it correctly? The car had paint issues and delivered it as is. I had given them the opportunity to address it so I can take the delivery but look how it turned out.

If you don't have the right tools to do the proper job or touch up, say so and don't touch it! That I wouldn't have a problem with. Why touch it. I don't know, maybe someone else will be okay with it how it was done, but not for me. My Model 3 paint was flawless so I do know what I am looking for.

• Disagree
Sure. Here's both sides of the rear trunk hatch. I'm not sure how it could be more clearly mis-aligned, and I'm not generally someone who is going to obsess over fit/finish.

My model 3 had slight misaligned issues,, it takes them minutes to fix. Just don’t understand why they don’t take the time so make that fix before handing over to customer.

The issue is how they did the touch up, how can I trust them to do it correctly? The car had paint issues and delivered it as is. I had given them the opportunity to address it so I can take the delivery but look how it turned out.

If you don't have the right tools to do the proper job or touch up, say so and don't touch it! That I wouldn't have a problem with. Why touch it. I don't know, maybe someone else will be okay with it how it was done, but not for me. My Model 3 paint was flawless so I do know what I am looking for.

Ultimately it's your call of course. It looks like the tech just used the wrong paint color. Easy to fix and have a nice car. Returning it and trying to buy another sounds like a lot more hassle and potential stress.

Just figured out last night how to check the source code for the VIN. Turns out even though my account still only lists my reservation# I have a 6xxx VIN. No email or communication of any kind from Tesla. After repeated chat sessions over the past few weeks with various Tesla groups one finally suggested I call my local Tesla delivery center here in Columbus, Ohio. I talked to them Friday and they told me a VIN had been assigned and that the car was at a 'logistics' center. (Hopefully getting all the paint touch-up and panel adjustments done.)

I placed the order for the Pearl White/Black interior, 19" wheels, LR AWD, no PUP, no FSD in January. The local guy wouldn't offer a delivery estimate but I have to believe it shouldn't be too long now.

Just figured out last night how to check the source code for the VIN. Turns out even though my account still only lists my reservation# I have a 6xxx VIN. No email or communication of any kind from Tesla. After repeated chat sessions over the past few weeks with various Tesla groups one finally suggested I call my local Tesla delivery center here in Columbus, Ohio. I talked to them Friday and they told me a VIN had been assigned and that the car was at a 'logistics' center. (Hopefully getting all the paint touch-up and panel adjustments done.)

I placed the order for the Pearl White/Black interior, 19" wheels, LR AWD, no PUP, no FSD in January. The local guy wouldn't offer a delivery estimate but I have to believe it shouldn't be too long now.

Just got a txt from Tesla (Sunday afternoon) to schedule delivery for June 5th! Go figure

Let him return it. Bumps the rest of us up a slot. Idc if my paint has defects. My van came perfect from the factory and my wife backed into a brick wall day 2 of owning it. Haven’t got it fixed because it doesn’t matter to me. Put a little touch up paint over the spot so it won’t rust and called it good.

Good on you! Myself, and (I bet) many others here wish we as non-picky as you. Life would be so much easier... :)

Reactions: DennyL
Good on you! Myself, and (I bet) many others here wish we as non-picky as you. Life would be so much easier... :)

You can choose what you are picky about! I am super picky about my work and my employees. I demand perfection.

after work I’m out of Fs to give. Cars are just how I get between places. If my car is nice or dirty I don’t feel like a better or worse person. I guess this is why I am driving a 2004 accord. Only dumping it because my oldest needs a first car...

Sure. Here's both sides of the rear trunk hatch. I'm not sure how it could be more clearly mis-aligned, and I'm not generally someone who is going to obsess over fit/finish.

Ouch, I will say it again, the gremlin for the Y is the rear hatch, especially in the early builds. Lots of issues that should have not left factory. Mine is scratching the paint on the outside of the hinges due to the alignment. Pending SC appointment.

Ouch, I will say it again, the gremlin for the Y is the rear hatch, especially in the early builds. Lots of issues that should have not left factory. Mine is scratching the paint on the outside of the hinges due to the alignment. Pending SC appointment.

I will say that I requested a service center appointment and within a week (today - I got the car last Saturday), it was taken in, the panel was aligned, the hatch is working fine (so far), and all of my other issues were addressed. Total cost was $0, of course - just my time waiting (about 2 hours).

Reactions: mac9899 and DennyL