Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a ticket for 11mph over on a highway while on Autopilot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrcarcrazy

In need of a shrinking gun to zap a plaid with.
May 22, 2019
South Padre Island, Tx
Kicker is I also have significant evidence that I’m innocent. Thank you #Teslacam. Not to mention the car won’t exceed 5mph over the posted limit on its own in autopilot (not NOA). Or the three passengers who could all see my speed and can attest to the fact I wasn’t speeding.

~40 seconds prior to the police officer passing me and pulling me over a Dodge Journey (fairly sure) passed me at a pretty decent click. (He’s still in frame pulling away when the cop passes). So you have to assume either the dodge is going 80+mph and I’m doing 71 and the radar magically missed the dodge or I’m doing 60 and the dodge is the person he picked up doing 71.

I’ve already contacted an attorney friend in hopes I can get some representation in court, or he can take care of it without me going to court. Many moons ago learned that representing yourself in court is a foolish move.

Going to try and FOIA the badge cam footage as well. Mainly for hilarity, this cop actually had me remove my weapon and set it on the console (in reach of the other three people in the car). Not the brightest cop on Earth if he considers me enough of a threat to disarm me, but doesn’t consider my family a threat.

Anyway. Once this is sorted I’ll post the video. It’s boring as all hell. Just a car passing me, then 40 seconds in you see a Police Tahoe pass me going opposite direction. Then I pull over and have a conversation with the less than competent officer.
Anyone else here fought a ticket using dashcam footage?

You seem to be suggesting that it is impossible to speed by 11mph with AP engaged. This is entirely untrue.

AP uses map data for speed limits which can often be flawed, especially if there are recent changes or temporary limits.

In fact, AP doesn't react to speed decreases that it even knows about until after the sign normally, so you are in fact speeding even where the car is aware of the speed limit.

Additionally, the 5mph constraint is only if Autosteer is active. If using just TACC, you can set it much higher.

This is as much a note to you as it is to others: AutoPilot can easily result in speeding. If you are found speeding, you, the driver, are at fault since you are in control of the vehicle.

You seem to be suggesting that it is impossible to speed by 11mph with AP engaged. This is entirely untrue.

AP uses map data for speed limits which can often be flawed, especially if there are recent changes or temporary limits.

In fact, AP doesn't react to speed decreases that it knows about until after the sign normally, so you are in fact speeding even where the car is aware of the speed limit.

Additionally, the 5mph constraint is only if Autosteer is active. If using just TACC, you can set it much higher.

This is as much a note to you as it is to others: AutoPilot can easily result in speeding. If you are found speeding, you, the driver, are at fault since you are in control of the vehicle.

I guess I wasn’t clear. Sorry the acronyms are just insane with this car. I was using full autopilot with auto steer. Not just smart cruise control. Also the car was correct and knew the speed limit was 60mph. And I wasn’t speeding.

guessing you didn’t read the entire post if you didn’t catch that. Or you just really want to be the most right in every convo so you decided to play semantic police...either way all is well. I wasn’t speeding, as the video supports I was just passed by another car while in range of the cops radar.

A good radar detector can save you lots of headaches.
Wasn’t speeding. Zero reason for a radar detector if you don’t speed. The police density here is insanely high and I live in one of the poorest counties in Texas...yet the cops all have brand new cars....Speaks volumes for their ticket writing numbers.

Autopilot won't let you go more than 5mph over the limit on regular roads. On the highway, however, it'll let you go all the way up to 90mph even if the speed limit is much lower.

I wouldn't be able to use autopilot if it capped me at 5mph over on highways.

not on these rural highways. It caps at 5mph over. Trust me unless you want to come see for yourself.

I guess I wasn’t clear. Sorry the acronyms are just insane with this car. I was using full autopilot with auto steer. Not just smart cruise control. Also the car was correct and knew the speed limit was 60mph. And I wasn’t speeding.

guessing you didn’t read the entire post if you didn’t catch that. Or you just really want to be the most right in every convo so you decided to play semantic police...either way all is well. I wasn’t speeding, as the video supports I was just passed by another car while in range of the cops radar.

I've seen the argument that AP was active therefore the driver did no wrong, and it seemed like that might be the case here (otherwise I'm not sure why AP is even relevant).

You did not explicitly mention the speed limit, but implied you may have been driving 60. That could have been a +5 that AP allows on a 55 zone.

You also have not shown the video yet, so I'm unsure how it was supposed to support anything outside of your personal viewing yet. Besides, being passed by another car does not mean you weren't speeding, cop present or not.

Apologies. This was not meant to be a personal attack, the post was simply a bit vague on the details and had a lot of implied points, including it being impossible to speed on AP.

I've seen the argument that AP was active therefore the driver did no wrong, and it seemed like that might be the case here (otherwise I'm not sure why AP is even relevant).

You did not explicitly mention the speed limit, but implied you may have been driving 60. That could have been a +5 that AP allows on a 55 zone.

You also have not shown the video yet, so I'm unsure how it was supposed to support anything outside of your personal viewing yet. Besides, being passed by another car does not mean you weren't speeding, cop present or not.

Apologies. This was not meant to be a personal attack, the post was simply a bit vague on the details and had a lot of implied points, including it being impossible to speed on AP.
sorry if that’s how it came across. That’s not my intent. Purely saying all sorts of evidence that I’m innocent. And with the video one of two things has to be true.
A. I was speeding @71mph and the dodge was going ~80mph yet he somehow didn’t trigger the radar. (I’m arguing this is much less likely than option B).
B. I wasn’t speeding and the cop pulled the wrong car over.
I can’t think of a C. Maybe you can.

These constant on Radars just run in the background and ding at the officer when a high speed is recorded. Then the officer has to figure out which car is speeding. It only shows the highest speed at a time. (I used to work on police cars and got to play with all of their toys).

I’m holding off on posting the video until I get the all clear from my attorney. Like I said it’s not at all exciting. But it does support my statement that I wasn’t speeding.

guess I kinda deserved your critique with my clickbait-ish title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Here is a boring video clip recorded by my Blackvue camera. You can see obeying the speed limit and a little above the limit. When obeying the limit this works, but speeding, I'm toast.

Gotta love that image quality! I have aftermarket dash cameras in my other cars. I’m really underwhelmed by the image quality in the Tesla. Of course I don’t think the initial purpose was dash camera duty so I won’t bitch too much. Would sure love mph and date/timestamp on it though. I tweeted Elon to ask for it. Lol. I’m not all that important so don’t expect a reply. But maybe he read it.

sorry if that’s how it came across. That’s not my intent. Purely saying all sorts of evidence that I’m innocent. And with the video one of two things has to be true.
A. I was speeding @71mph and the dodge was going ~80mph yet he somehow didn’t trigger the radar. (I’m arguing this is much less likely than option B).
B. I wasn’t speeding and the cop pulled the wrong car over.
I can’t think of a C. Maybe you can.

These constant on Radars just run in the background and ding at the officer when a high speed is recorded. Then the officer has to figure out which car is speeding. It only shows the highest speed at a time. (I used to work on police cars and got to play with all of their toys).

I’m holding off on posting the video until I get the all clear from my attorney. Like I said it’s not at all exciting. But it does support my statement that I wasn’t speeding.

guess I kinda deserved your critique with my clickbait-ish title.

Hmm. It could be different where you live, but here a cop will not necessarily pull over the highest speeder. I know a few people that have tried the "but officer I was behind that guy and he was going faster!" annnd that didn't work out for them. At all. They actually seem more likely to give you a ticket in that case!

So given that, from the description of the video alone, Option A is entirely possible. On topic with the thread, that essentially means they can't say for sure you weren't speeding since you both could have been.

Of course if it's anything like what I'm familiar with, it's your word against there's and they have to be willing to show up to contest it. But Canada and Texas are very very different!

Hmm. It could be different where you live, but here a cop will not necessarily pull over the highest speeder. I know a few people that have tried the "but officer I was behind that guy and he was going faster!" annnd that didn't work out for them. At all. They actually seem more likely to give you a ticket in that case!

So given that, from the description of the video alone, Option A is entirely possible. On topic with the thread, that essentially means they can't say for sure you weren't speeding since you both could have been.

Of course if it's anything like what I'm familiar with, it's your word against there's and they have to be willing to show up to contest it. But Canada and Texas are very very different!
This is an honest question. Do y’all have the “innocent until proven guilty?” And “reasonable doubt”? All you need for acquittal here is to provide reasonable doubt to your guilt. Video evidence should be able to provide that doubt. Not to mention sworn affidavits from 3 other people that have a great view of your speedometer. And were able to vocalize the speed indicated.

of course this is all theory and this is why you absolutely have to utilize an attorney.

my radar description above was only about to auto scanning radar that the police just turn on (not a radar gun that they aim at YOUR car.)

Got a ticket in Brownsville back when they were doing construction. I was going 50 in a 55 zone, cop said I was doing 71. Asked to see it on his radar. "I erased it already!" - YEP
Couldn't fight the ticket, but I have never been back to Brownsville and never spent one more cent there after they stole $200 from me.
Paid the tourist trap fees.

This is an honest question. Do y’all have the “innocent until proven guilty?” And “reasonable doubt”? All you need for acquittal here is to provide reasonable doubt to your guilt. Video evidence should be able to provide that doubt. Not to mention sworn affidavits from 3 other people that have a great view of your speedometer. And were able to vocalize the speed indicated.

of course this is all theory and this is why you absolutely have to utilize an attorney.

my radar description above was only about to auto scanning radar that the police just turn on (not a radar gun that they aim at YOUR car.)

Yes? I do think they need to show it somehow. The radar guns used here are not at all passive from what I recall though. I think they are both very aware of who is doing what speed and can show proof of required. I've never contested a ticket myself though, never got one. A lot of people contest it and get off free since they don't have a habit of showing up to the court date.

That said, your video (to my understanding of it anyhow) would not help you at all here, nor would the words of your passengers.

EDIT: I think I don't even know about the type of radar you're mentioning. That's very foreign to me. Is it like those mobile speed camera units in the UK/Ireland?

Yes? I do think they need to show it somehow. The radar guns used here are not at all passive from what I recall though. I think they are both very aware of who is doing what speed and can show proof of required. I've never contested a ticket myself though, never got one. A lot of people contest it and get off free since they don't have a habit of showing up to the court date.

That said, your video (to my understanding of it anyhow) would not help you at all here, nor would the words of your passengers.

EDIT: I think I don't even know about the type of radar you're mentioning. That's very foreign to me. Is it like those mobile speed camera units in the UK/Ireland?

Very similar to the roadside “your speed” sign. Those blink or light up red and blue lights if you exceed by a preset number. The ones in the cop cars make a noise and blink.

Got a ticket in Brownsville back when they were doing construction. I was going 50 in a 55 zone, cop said I was doing 71. Asked to see it on his radar. "I erased it already!" - YEP
Couldn't fight the ticket, but I have never been back to Brownsville and never spent one more cent there after they stole $200 from me.
Paid the tourist trap fees.
Yeah. They are pretty notorious for dishonesty down here. This was outside of the biggest speed trap that is a city called Los Fresnos. South Padre Island wants to build another causeway at the north end of the island. One of their driving factors is the Los Fresnos bullshit ticket factory.

Last edited:
This is an honest question. Do y’all have the “innocent until proven guilty?” And “reasonable doubt”? All you need for acquittal here is to provide reasonable doubt to your guilt.

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies in criminal cases. A speeding ticket is a civil infraction that has the standard "more likely than not". All it takes is 51% to find you guilty of a civil infraction like speeding.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
My neighbor received a speeding ticket for 10 over and I told him to show up knowing that the traffic cop would not be present. However, he decided to do the driver training course to wipe the slate clean, plus 10 percent discount on his insurance. Southlake, TX

Can you see the lane lines in your video? If so, measure the length of them at that point on the road from Google earth and calculate your speed by counting how many you passed in a given amount of time from the video.
Yeah and telephone poles. So working on that. Have attorneys looking at it to tell me if I should fight or roll over and take it. Corrupt system is corrupt so we shall see.

Oh and thank you for the note about the lines. As I can do that from the comfort of home. Just ran it by measuring the time it took me to go over a bridge. The bridge was 132ft long and it took 1.52 seconds to transverse that bridge. If my math is good that means I was traveling at 59.21 mph.

Last edited: