Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got A Ticket From Chp For Not Having Hov Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's always the question, "to attach hov stickers, or not to attach?" Well, I am one data point - after ~4k miles spent almost exclusively in the HOV lane, I got a ticket (hwy 87, san jose).

Tesla messed up my registration (we had to fedex new documents back and forth) and I only got my registration on Saturday -- in other words, I haven't received my HOV stickers yet.

Anyway, a data point for when you wonder if you should attach your stickers or not.

I put my stickers on magnetic sheets I purchased on Amazon and attach my sticker to the rear quarter panel that is metallic and on the trunk near the bottom right side below the “Dual Motor” badge. I’ll attach a picture later when I’m by my car.

There's always the question, "to attach hov stickers, or not to attach?" Well, I am one data point - after ~4k miles spent almost exclusively in the HOV lane, I got a ticket (hwy 87, san jose).

Tesla messed up my registration (we had to fedex new documents back and forth) and I only got my registration on Saturday -- in other words, I haven't received my HOV stickers yet.

Anyway, a data point for when you wonder if you should attach your stickers or not.
I hated the way they looked on my car, so when there would be an occasion for me to need the Commute Lane (once every two months) I would scotch tape those awful looking stickers on my car before I would leave the house. When I got home, off they came. :)

In BC, HOV stickers for EV are free... no charge. The idea is to encourage use of EV over ICE. However, you do need the sticker attached (like a cop can't tell that it is a Tesla).

Of course, I did apply for my sticker. When I received it, really didn't want to apply it (I hate stickers on cars... even dealer stickers... but even more, didn't want to mess up the paint). My solution was to go to Staples and buy a sheet magnet... cut it to size, and apply the sticker magnetically. Of course, I risk someone stealing the sticker if they realize it is applied with a magnet... I can always remove it and only apply it when I need it (I work out of my HO so don't commute/need HOV that often).

Wouldn't have expected it on 87, more likely along 880 which is horrendous for violators and even vehicles (namely Tesla, since the factory is right there) without license plates. But due to congestion, it's very difficult to pull vehicles over safely across the 4-5 lanes of traffic.

Generally officers have "other things" to focus on, and though there are times when HOV receives a priority, unsafe lane changes, acceleration and failure to signal draw the attention as it's a safety issue.

Was there something else as well? You mention no registration ... were you still on the temporary plates (or no plates)? Were you tail gating, or being tail gated?

For many, it is indeed a cash grab and a ticket once every 2-3 years is well worth it due to the amount of time saved - plus it doesn't show up as a moving violation reducing the insurance impact as well.

HOV ... not for traffic congestion reduction in California as it's an "exclusive" lane for those with multiple passengers, paying $22 fee to the CA DMV or even being willing to attach a FasTrak and simply pay the toll in many locations.

I'm just surprised that CHP is ticketing for HOV violations. If it were a common practice, they could use it as a funding stream for a ton of programs! I see solo drivers all the time on I-80, driving in the HOV lane without consequence.

The CHP doesn’t get $1.00 from any of their tickets, arrests, or tows. All of the fines and fees go to the city and county the violation occurred in.

I hated the way they looked on my car, so when there would be an occasion for me to need the Commute Lane (once every two months) I would scotch tape those awful looking stickers on my car before I would leave the house. When I got home, off they came. :)

Buy these from RPM Tesla and you can attach and remove your stickers with ease. I'm sure there's a limit how many times you can remove and reapply but you can always purchase another set if the original film loses it's adhesiveness

Calif. HOV Under Stickers Protection Film Gen 2 (Only $15 w/20% OFF).

Was there something else as well? You mention no registration ... were you still on the temporary plates (or no plates)? Were you tail gating, or being tail gated?

None of these. I had received my plates and reg card (finally) on Saturday, and had both front and back plates on. It was about 9:30am and traffic was cruising at about 40 mph. I keep follow distance on 3.

Interestingly that evening on the commute home I saw another carpool violator being pulled over on 87 going the other way. Must have been HOV day for chp

None of these. I had received my plates and reg card (finally) on Saturday, and had both front and back plates on. It was about 9:30am and traffic was cruising at about 40 mph. I keep follow distance on 3.

Interestingly that evening on the commute home I saw another carpool violator being pulled over on 87 going the other way. Must have been HOV day for chp

That's good to know!

We used to ride (motorcycles) between the south bay (KRHV/KSJC) and Hayward (KHWD) midweek, or up to SFO, and got to see all of the bad behavior. In comparing notes with motorcycle officers (there is a weigh station, and a few Starbucks that were popular for sitting down when it got warm such as the one by Bay 101) we know that HOV enforcement was not a priority.

It usually took "something else" to attract attention.

I'm wondering if the "faux" HOV stickers sold on eBay actually help - but the new hologram is quite noticeable (as is the lack thereof)

But hey, thanks for the clarification - appreciated!

Reactions: ent3ndu
I have the HOV stickers but keep them in my glove box. I don't have much need to drive in the HOV lane, but like to have the option.
Problem is I think the stickers are ugly and will mess up the paint. Has anyone gotten a ticket with stickers in the car, just not mounted?
Hoping I can talk my way out of it based on the above argument if pulled over...

You're not wrong, although I think it's pretty cheeky to lump this situation in with the thousands of people driving in the HOV solo in plain ol' gas cars.

I have a plug-in hybrid with HOV stickers sitting in my driveway. I could be burning gas and "fully legal" in the HOV but I chose the greener option. Technically it's a violation but it's better for the environment. /shrug

Yes seeing the HOV lanes clogged with “plug-in hybrids” that get 8 to 20 miles in EV mode on flat land at 55 mph with a tailwind / drafting... while expiring BEV’s stickers that get 2X MPGe than plug-in hybrids is ridiculous. No surprise that the HOV lanes are overflowing. Disgusting that Toyota et al charge $6,000 for the “plug-in option”.

If CA politicians were SERIOUS about making all passenger cars electric, they’d stop taking “campaign contributions” (“legal” bribes) from automakers. No love for Tesla since they don’t make “campaign contributions”.

Pitiful

Apparently the 3(!) CA HOV stickers on my car when I bought it are expired anyways. Took me about 45 minutes to remove just one of those bastards. I might have even left a decent scratch on the car doing it. These stickers really suck.

Since I got the car, I do drive quite a bit on the highway but instead of being in the 80mph+ aggressive HOV lane, I find myself just autopiloting at 75 in the other lanes. I swear I get to work and back so much less exhausted that way.

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
I got the $2200 on all three of my EVs...2011 Leaf, 2014 RAV4 and 2018 X.
Per the rebate website, "Except for rental, public and car share fleets, no single entity is eligible to receive more than two CVRP rebates either via direct purchase and/or lease as of January 1, 2015. All rebates issued prior to this date do not count toward the two rebate limit"

That's why you were able to get 3.

I am also in B.C. Vancouver. Got a ticket for driving in HOV lane here ,sign say HOV lane but with a sign for bus and 6 people . I Was turning into HOV lane for the highway one block before. Police lady stopped me for driving in bus lane . I went to the court to fight the ticket. While I was there this police lady have four driver for the HOV lane violations. She lost the first one with technical point. So she give up and said I will not contest all the rest of the tickets. So got free of $230.00 fine. So always fight the ticket .

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Sorry to kick this convo back open but I'm not finding any evidence a person can be cited for being issued the stickers BUT failing to put them on while using the carpool lane. Has anyone actually been cited for using the carpool lane while being issued the stickers and not using them? The closest violation I have found is 21655.9 CVC - Using someone else's stickers on your car.

Sorry to kick this convo back open but I'm not finding any evidence a person can be cited for being issued the stickers BUT failing to put them on while using the carpool lane. Has anyone actually been cited for using the carpool lane while being issued the stickers and not using them? The closest violation I have found is 21655.9 CVC - Using someone else's stickers on your car.
You absolutely must display the decals to legally use the lane. If you pull them out of your glovebox after you get pulled over, you are very likely to still get a ticket, and you’re not going to win any sort of appeal. Lots of reports of people being cited for this.

IMG_9714.jpeg