Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got A Ticket From Chp For Not Having Hov Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's always the question, "to attach hov stickers, or not to attach?" Well, I am one data point - after ~4k miles spent almost exclusively in the HOV lane, I got a ticket (hwy 87, san jose).

Tesla messed up my registration (we had to fedex new documents back and forth) and I only got my registration on Saturday -- in other words, I haven't received my HOV stickers yet.

Anyway, a data point for when you wonder if you should attach your stickers or not.

There's always the question, "to attach hov stickers, or not to attach?" Well, I am one data point - after ~4k miles spent almost exclusively in the HOV lane, I got a ticket (hwy 87, san jose).

Tesla messed up my registration (we had to fedex new documents back and forth) and I only got my registration on Saturday -- in other words, I haven't received my HOV stickers yet.

Anyway, a data point for when you wonder if you should attach your stickers or not.

I wonder if you would have still gotten a ticket if you HAD the stickers with you but just hadn't put them on your car yet.

Well you shouldn't have been driving in the HOV lane in the first place if you weren't properly registered for HOV access. Can't stand car pool violators.

Yep. Plus access is not guaranteed just because you have an EV. You have to pay a small fee and meet income requirements (if you chose to take the $2500 CARB rebate).

Well you shouldn't have been driving in the HOV lane in the first place if you weren't properly registered for HOV access. Can't stand car pool violators.
You're not wrong, although I think it's pretty cheeky to lump this situation in with the thousands of people driving in the HOV solo in plain ol' gas cars.

I have a plug-in hybrid with HOV stickers sitting in my driveway. I could be burning gas and "fully legal" in the HOV but I chose the greener option. Technically it's a violation but it's better for the environment. /shrug

I don't understand the logic, you can use HOV lanes if you make the brave decision to purchase an electric car, but somehow if you make too much money you can't?

There's no income limit for EVs in CA for the clean air vehicle HOV decal. It's a common misconception. There is, however, an income limit to get the EV rebate.