Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got A Ticket From Chp For Not Having Hov Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not all EV's even qualify for stickers, the older ones have expired, thats why you have to have them on the car. Not to mention the income requirement too.

The age of the car does not matter. What matters is if the car previously had HOV stickers.
You can buy an older EV from out of state and get the purple stickers for it.

You're not wrong, although I think it's pretty cheeky to lump this situation in with the thousands of people driving in the HOV solo in plain ol' gas cars.

I have a plug-in hybrid with HOV stickers sitting in my driveway. I could be burning gas and "fully legal" in the HOV but I chose the greener option. Technically it's a violation but it's better for the environment. /shrug

There's no grey area. Either you violate the law and get a ticket or be like the rest of the law abiding citizens patiently driving in traffic. You're not a special case just cuz you drive a tesla. Entitlement....jeeeez

You sound like you’re looking for a fight. In the very message you quoted I said you were right.

In fact I never once said the cop was wrong, or a douche, or anyone else in this thread was wrong, or that I was in the right.

I do think that as far as the intent of the law goes it would have been more reasonable for the cop to pull over one of the many, many ICE cars driven solo in the carpool lane, but he wasn’t wrong.

Last edited:
There's no grey area. Either you violate the law and get a ticket or be like the rest of the law abiding citizens patiently driving in traffic. You're not a special case just cuz you drive a tesla. Entitlement....jeeeez
Frankly the HOV law in CA is just a plain money grabbing action. Anyone with a hybrid or electric should be allowed into the la e without a stupid sticker. At least adopt a hov specific plate. I will never put those stickers on my car.

Teslas are obviously EVs and should not be getting tickets from the HOV lane, sticker or no sticker.

When it comes to rules of the road and what applies to me, I was always "special", and now that I have a Tesla I am even more "special". :rolleyes:

Teslas are obviously EVs and should not be getting tickets from the HOV lane, sticker or no sticker.

When it comes to rules of the road and what applies to me, I was always "special", and now that I have a Tesla I am even more "special". :rolleyes:

Application fee for ev tags is cheap ~$21

Past the income requirement, people could only get EV tags if they apply for it

Below the income requirement, both $2500 rebate + Ev tags are available.

Yes, unless the cops are newbies, they should know that telsa are all ev. I dislike putting the purple tags on my car.

Reactions: Vermillion002
This is my third EV, and california has a limit to how many state rebates you can get, which is 2. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the state rebate for my M3... but the DMV still has not cashed my 22$ check for those ugly ass stickers. I'm not even going to put them on my car until I feel like i'm overly irritated with traffic. I work at home, so it's not that big of an issue. I just wish california would come up with a better way of signaling what cars belong in the HOV. Maybe a license plate that's different? Those god awful stickers on my black car likely won't happen.

Reactions: Vermillion002
I'm just surprised that CHP is ticketing for HOV violations. If it were a common practice, they could use it as a funding stream for a ton of programs! I see solo drivers all the time on I-80, driving in the HOV lane without consequence.

I actually have the stickers, in my glove box if I ever feel the need to use the lane. Otherwise, HOV only if I have the requisite number of butts in seats to qualify.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Frankly the HOV law in CA is just a plain money grabbing action. Anyone with a hybrid or electric should be allowed into the la e without a stupid sticker. At least adopt a hov specific plate. I will never put those stickers on my car.
So I’m confused. All you who votes disagree with like useless CA taxes, having stickers on your car, or don’t feel EV’s warrant use of the HOV lane. Please enlighten me cause personally CA gets enough of my money in their ridiculous registration fees and I won’t put a sticker on my car if you paid me. Don’t even get me started with the beyond stupid CA cancer sticker on the drivers window.

The officer did ask if I could prove I qualified for stickers, which I only could if I had the stickers... so maybe. Although he only asked AFTER he wrote the ticket ;)
I think if you had the stickers, then it would just be a "fixit" ticket - where you go get the infraction signed off after you put the stickers on. I'm guessing similar to if your registration was up to date and you had your sticker, but you just haven't affixed it to your license plate.

Reactions: Tes*la*rosa
There's always the question, "to attach hov stickers, or not to attach?" Well, I am one data point - after ~4k miles spent almost exclusively in the HOV lane, I got a ticket (hwy 87, san jose).

Tesla messed up my registration (we had to fedex new documents back and forth) and I only got my registration on Saturday -- in other words, I haven't received my HOV stickers yet.

Anyway, a data point for when you wonder if you should attach your stickers or not.

I have seen one other non-stickered new Tesla getting an HOV ticket. My first though was, with so many gas car violators using the HOV lane, why bother to pick out a vehicle that does qualify, but hasn't yet received or applied the stickers?

I'm a proponent of strict enforcement, but EV's would not be at the top of my list for ticketing.