Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got EVed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of these, and it works great.

It wasn't exactly what I really wanted to automate, but I could so I did.

I can just see it taking the wrong turn and going in the pool, over the neighbors garden or over a neighbourhood cat. All things that would be really bad. Almost as bad a autonyms driving on public roads. And I am sure the lawn mower does not have a neural net processor.

I can just see it taking the wrong turn and going in the pool, over the neighbors garden or over a neighbourhood cat. All things that would be really bad. Almost as bad a autonyms driving on public roads. And I am sure the lawn mower does not have a neural net processor.
All impossible. You lay down a closed loop around its outer perimeter (and objects within the loop like trees and swimming pools) under the lawn (and sidewalk/driveway seams, etc.) and it never ventures outside of that perimeter. If the loop gets broken somehow (garden spade), the mower won't work until the loop is repaired.

Anything the mower drives over (neighborhood cats would have to be smaller than a mouse), the blades are designed so they won't cut through anything much tougher than a blade of grass, they simply bounce off pebbles, sticks and the like. Anything bigger (kids toys left on the lawn, BBQ, etc.) it simply stops on contact and drives off in a different direction.

Do those work? I have some leftover from my GTI where I never used them because they also gave me the CarGo protection mat and those blocks wouldn't stick down, lol.

Mine are the ones that have the hook side of velcro on them. They almost work *too* well on the carpet in the model 3 trunk. It's kinda pulling up the threads a bit. Still worth it. Those things are so damn handy.

OK, this sounds pretty awesome...so the big question...how much $$?
There are a wide array of mowers. Then you need to buy the supplies to lay the loop; bigger yard equals more supplies. Then you may want to install the loop yourself to save money or have someone else do the installation to save time. My typical in-town lot was about CDN$1,900 and a day's work IIRC.

Someone already answered you, but I'll add that the brilliance of it is the sheet stupidity of it.

In that all it does is sense the wire you bury in your yard. Hell it can't even make it back to it's base without a guidewire.

I do hope they have future versions that do have camera(s), neural nets, etc. But, I do acknowledge it works really well simply by relying on old technology. They've actually been around for quite sometimes.

It also doesn't really have what I'd call a real blade. There is absolutely no way it's going to hurt a cat with the way it cuts the grass.

During the summers I just let it do it's thing for a few hours day, and it's all good. Sure I still have to rake the leaves in the fall as it doesn't deal with the leaves.

The only thing annoying about it was the setup in having to lay/bury the boundary and guide wire.