Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got in accident and at-fault insurance company denies claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You missed the point of my post as well as the title of this entire thread. In YOUR situation, you did the right thing and there was no need to file with your own insurance company.

The title of the thread reads, "at fault insurance company DENIES CLAIM." When the at fault insurance company denies claim, you are left with the options I outlined in my post.

Long story short: What happened to you doesn't apply to the situation that is the subject of this thread because the at fault insurance company was willing to deal with you and handle your claim. When they DENY your claim, the best option is to go through your own insurance company -- for all practical purposes, you don't have any other option.

Nobody said you should always file with your own insurance company.

First of all. Plenty of people in this thread said to everyone that there is NO reason to file with the other persons insurance company. Quotes like "That's what you pay your insurance for"...."your insurance lawyers are better than theirs".....etc. That's clearly stated throughout this thread.

That is the premise for my replies.

Lastly: what happened to me is clearly what the OP tried to do and it didn't work for him. That doesn't mean that I can't try to encourage others to do the same - as others have in this thread. The OP is handling his business and there is no need for me to reply to him.

It seems there is some confusion about rear-end collisions and liability / fault in California. It is not automatic that the last car is liable, nor a middle car. The facts of the incident always matter. Take a few scenarios:

1. Two cars. First car stops suddenly because traffic in front of them has stopped. Second car collides with the rear of the first car without any extenuating circumstances (just failure to leave sufficient stopping distance). Second car will almost inevitably be determined at fault 100%.

2. Two cars. First car, in an act of anger, slams on their brakes (brake checks) the second car. The second car car collides with the first car. The first car is probably 100% at fault, but it could be ultimately split between the two - such as 90-10 because the second car didn’t leave sufficient distance.

3. Three cars. First car stops. Second car stops. Third car does not stop and no extenuating circumstances. Third car likely will be determined 100% at fault. Why? Because the second car did everything right.

4. Three cars. First car stops. Second car does not stop. Third car does not stop. Fault will likely be split between second and third car.

But let’s get funky...

5. Three cars. First car stops because someone suddenly throws a brick from an overhead pass onto their windshield. Second car is hit by a sniper on a hill, shattering their windshield and blocking all visibility. Third car swerves to avoid Bowfinger running perpendicular across traffic and collides into second car, which collides into the first car. Who’s at fault and liable? Probably none of them and everyone’s own insurance pays.

So anyone ... anyone ... who claims there are hard and fast rules needs to get a reality check, because the circumstances matter.

Best advice. Call your insurance provider and, in appropriate circumstances, get a lawyer. If you don’t like this advice, I offer 100% money back guarantees.

Illinois - you hit someone in the rear....you were traveling too close.

Following Too Closely Ticket Illinois | Traffic Violation Lawyers

• Disagree
Reactions: focher
For one, you’re not paying your insurance company to squeeze money from the at-fault party. You Need to pay a lawyer for that when there’s a dispute like this. You’d never have to, in an ideal world, because accidents are never cut and dry and people lie. If no one lied in case of an accident, all insurance company of the at fault party needs to do is compensate for the car repairs, property damage, and physical injuries if any.

You’re paying your insurance company to insure yourself against paying high costs for any accident you cause.

Secondly, you rear-end / touch / scratch a stopped car, you’re at fault. Period. No dispute. No lies. No excuses. It doesn’t matter if your car was pushed by Frankenstein onto someone else’s or you did it yourself.

Get a lawyer and sue the at fault party and if you are telling the truth to us, then you’ll be fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Illinois - you hit someone in the rear....you were traveling too close.

Following Too Closely Ticket Illinois | Traffic Violation Lawyers

Not if you were pushed by another car. If you are the sole reason why your car hit another in the rear, then yes - you're at fault. But if someone hits you first and pushes you into that car, you are not the negligent party. If you're at a complete stop and a semi bulldozes into the back of you, I promise you're going to hit the car in front of you. You would not be at fault for that.

Secondly, you rear-end / touch / scratch a stopped car, you’re at fault. Period. No dispute. No lies. No excuses. It doesn’t matter if your car was pushed by Frankenstein onto someone else’s or you did it yourself.
Not the case. See above. If you were not negligent and you were pushed into another vehicle by the force of a 3rd vehicle hitting yours, then you are not negligent and not legally liable.

No, because I didn't realize that later the driver would claim that he was hit in the rear first. I really should have a full video around the scene at least...

That's a good point for everyone to take in.

I know this is obvious but please Tesla owners reading this with at least H2.5 on your car, buy yourself a USB device and a backup device if you need to switch out so you aren't left without something plugged in, and learn about TeslaCam/Sentry Mode and how it works (try it out so you understand) and please for your own sake use it. The video files from an accident like this would have shown from the front camera that the Tesla was stopped, that the driver behind him didn't stop and hit him, and the left side repeater would have shown if a car behind the Toyota fled the scene (and if so the side and front cameras might have captured a license plate of that vehicle if he did indeed cause the accident).

I'm sorry OP this happened to you and your car. Driven that same road to 101 so am familiar with it. Wish I had better advice on proceeding other than maybe filing with your own insurance and letting them fight it out with AAA would be best at this point.

BTW how does the Prius have a damaged right rear bumper and damaged front left bumper, fender headlight area with your damage on the rear right bumper area? Trying to make sense of the path of both or three cars.

update: just got to the page where @spindrome made the same point!

Last edited:
Given how many people do try to use the feature and find that it didn’t save the footage when they go to retrieve it, I’d say it’s not worth relying on. I have dedicated dashcams front and rear that predate the feature, and I’ll move them to my next Tesla too.

But if people have the cameras built in to their car and don't use the technology, don't you think it's less likely that they will go out and have traditional dashcams installed. The side repeater cameras on the Teslas can capture things that the traditional ones can't. And while sometimes there have been reports of the cameras shutting down the moment of an impact and I would guess mid minute video recording (so corrupted), I've seen many, many TeslaCam videos where things get captured just fine.

Yeah the new normal - since you can never trust the other party are:

1) Always have sentry cam on, recording & downloaded
2) Shoot cam video at accident scene immediately after getting out of the car
3) Shoot pics of 360° of your car & counterparty
4) Call police no matter the imposition to others
5) Take vid/picture of counterparty's face & body

You may look like a douche bag but you are protecting your interest.
vs. the other guy doing same.

All good points especially #5. I was rear ended on an exit road from a shopping center to the main road a number of years ago in my Avalon and got out to take photos of our cars. We were exchanging info and the driver couldn't find her insurance card. Yes that started me to panic a bit wondering if she even had insurance. After that while standing outside of the cars, I made sure I got a sneakily taken photo of the driver standing by her car. You never know if the driver will claim they weren't the person involved. People when faced with liabilty for a crash will do things you might not have thought about. TeslaCam helps out a lot if the person gets out of the car and you then have live footage of them leaving the driver's seat.

Not if you were pushed by another car. If you are the sole reason why your car hit another in the rear, then yes - you're at fault. But if someone hits you first and pushes you into that car, you are not the negligent party. If you're at a complete stop and a semi bulldozes into the back of you, I promise you're going to hit the car in front of you. You would not be at fault for that.

Not the case. See above. If you were not negligent and you were pushed into another vehicle by the force of a 3rd vehicle hitting yours, then you are not negligent and not legally liable.

Listen...I understand what you are saying. I truly do.

I'm not talking about who is at fault or not.

I'm talking about what the LAW states in Illinois.

I was just in an accident of this type in Illinois. Its probably different in other states.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jay24

You're wasting your time. He truly believes that a rear impact is a strict liability scenario for the rear car's driver. It's not true - anywhere - but he keeps saying it over and over and over and over again. Just look at the link he posted. It's not even relevant to the topic.

You guys keep claiming the same thing about filing with my insurance company no matter what - while at the same time saying that every situation and insurance company is different.

I continue to repeat the benefit I received by NOT making a claim with MY insurance company. I questioned my insurance company intensely without making a claim.

My insurance only would have only covered my rental for 30 days. ( Geico ).

I would have had to pay my deductible ( right now ).

I would have had to pay for my rental past 30 days myself. Tesla's take a LONG time to fix on average. I would have had to pay for it myself ( immediately at the end of the rental ). over $2,500.

Sure they would fight for me to get my funds back, however it wouldn't be guaranteed.

I would have had to pay $4,000+ and hope to get reimbursed.

I paid NOTHING filing with the other persons insurance company ( State Farm ). I never paid a dime.

In my case.....state why I should have filed with Geico.

My husband's car was damaged while parked in our bank's parking lot by a commercial vehicle who then did a hit and run but was stopped by some fabulous mother and her son who saw it happen and made them return to the lot while she alerted my husband inside. My husband called our insurance but filed through the other driver's insurance who was Allstate. My husband had a dashcam in his car that did pretty much capture the even but no side camera but you could still reliably tell what happened. Allstate actually was great, and of course my husband made a point of telling them about the hit and run and providing the dashcam footage, their driver accepted responsibility and his car was fixed by Tesla's auto body shop (and to his satisfaction...took a while to get in but done within a week). Their adjuster came out the next day to our house and looked it over. Submitted her report and when Tesla found a sensor needed to be replaced as well and it made more sense to give him a new bumper than repair the existing one, they worked with Tesla and approved the work. Honestly it was one of the easiest claims we had to go through and we never got our insurance involved apart from advising them of the accident.

Point in relaying this is that sometimes going through the other company, can work out well. If you run into issues like OP was encountering however, yes, then have your company step in and handle.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
My husband's car was damaged while parked in our bank's parking lot by a commercial vehicle who then did a hit and run but was stopped by some fabulous mother and her son who saw it happen and made them return to the lot while she alerted my husband inside. My husband called our insurance but filed through the other driver's insurance who was Allstate. My husband had a dashcam in his car that did pretty much capture the even but no side camera but you could still reliably tell what happened. Allstate actually was great, and of course my husband made a point of telling them about the hit and run and providing the dashcam footage, their driver accepted responsibility and his car was fixed by Tesla's auto body shop (and to his satisfaction...took a while to get in but done within a week). Their adjuster came out the next day to our house and looked it over. Submitted her report and when Tesla found a sensor needed to be replaced as well and it made more sense to give him a new bumper than repair the existing one, they worked with Tesla and approved the work. Honestly it was one of the easiest claims we had to go through and we never got our insurance involved apart from advising them of the accident.

Point in relaying this is that sometimes going through the other company, can work out well. If you run into issues like OP was encountering however, yes, then have your company step in and handle.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the explanation.