Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my first flat tire...now Tesla charging me for fixing it. Is this normal ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fixing a flat is not tesla specific. you don't need fancy pucks to lift the car.
ngng, not sure if you are reading the post. If you are going to fix a flat on a tire, especially a puncture further in, the tire has to be removed. If a shop does not have the proper equipment to lift the vehicle to remove the tire, I am not going to risk a $70,000 car getting damaged... The pucks are important to put on the lift points so a jack can go underneath it.

ngng, not sure if you are reading the post. If you are going to fix a flat on a tire, especially a puncture further in, the tire has to be removed. If a shop does not have the proper equipment to lift the vehicle to remove the tire, I am not going to risk a $70,000 car getting damaged... The pucks are important to put on the lift points so a jack can go underneath it.

i've fixed plenty of flats. re: pucks, yes, they are not necessary. they help locate a jack or lift, but anybody with 1 eye could do the same

While I haven't used it on a tire with sound absorption glued inside, I'm assuming the plug would follow the path of the puncture and seal the hole. Probably best to followup with a professional patch from the inside.
Or not. Let's use the plug, see if it EVER leaks, and if necessary THEN pay a bunch to have a tire shop take your money. Uh, I mean, fix your tire. Personally, I have NEVER had a tire shop fix a tire, as I prefer to use a cheap plug kit available from WalMart or KMart or wherever such products are sold. Plugs work well especially if the hole is in the tread.

Or not. Let's use the plug, see if it EVER leaks, and if necessary THEN pay a bunch to have a tire shop take your money. Uh, I mean, fix your tire. Personally, I have NEVER had a tire shop fix a tire, as I prefer to use a cheap plug kit available from WalMart or KMart or wherever such products are sold. Plugs work well especially if the hole is in the tread.

the only times i've seen plugs leak has been if the person installing it didn't prep the puncture correctly, or they tried to install it too close to the sidewall