Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Model 3 on July 3rd - iPhone as key has been flawless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know there has been a lot of discussion on the forums of how people have issues with their phone being used as the key. I wanted to provide my feedback on the topic from a positive direction and not just get lost in the noise of "my phone does not work" threads. I believe it is important to highlight both the positives and negatives. Obviously on a forum like this the bias to post is always towards the "things are broken" direction.

Basically I just wanted to say I have had a flawless experience (or as close to as I would ever expect). Maybe just a couple of times I have had to pull out my phone and unlock the phone and then the car has let me open the door. Other than that, it has always just worked.

It was only today that I was asked to do a "full reboot" on the car by the service center and they actually asked me to first use the keycard to lock and unlock the car (something about starting a new "session"). So that was the first time the keycard had ever come out of my wallet. I had literally never pulled it out before since at Delivery they had used my car as a demo of how to pair the phone to the car, so I literally never once used the physical key on the car even for the first time to pair my phone.

From a technical standpoint, I have a iPhone 8 Plus. I am guessing that this is the best possible scenario as it is modern iPhone hardware with a consistent updated and known operating system (as opposed to the Android ecosystem where on some models hardware quality may be lacking, OS may be outdated, and the set of platforms to test is huge).

Anyway, with that being said, I am still in support of them making a fob (I likely would be a buyer of that fob just because it seems like something I should have), but I am totally excited about the phone being the key. That has been clear for a long time that it is the future.

YMMV!

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K and Gavyne
Even if it worked 100% of the time on my Android Galaxy S5, which it does not, phone-as-a-key SUCKS, because to get the car to lock I now have to take the phone everywhere with me, even into the convenience store for 5 minutes. And that is just too much hassle and inconvenience. First world problems! When I had my 2011 Challenger R/T with a key fob for 3 years, this was never an issue.

We need a fob.

I only had my iPhone not work once, and that was while it was being used as a hotspot for my iPad. I’m not sure if that was a coincidence or not. Other than that, it has worked every time.

I also read that having the “Tile” app installed (the one that connects to and tracks bluetooth tokens) caused the iPhone to not work well as a key (something about the Tile app using up all the bluetooth channels or something to that effect).