Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my new 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear you, I am in the same boat as posted above, waiting on the 82KWh pack.

It is a complete guess but it is possible they are working through the assembled inventory of "older" battery packs, consoles, etc. before they switch. One would think they want the M3 and MY on more of the same parts.

My guess is that there isn't an inventory of battery packs.
They are the most expensive part, and one of the production rate limits. Tesla builds them internally and there is likely a just-in-time build and delivery throughout the process.

The center console has a much longer supply pipeline. It's likely that console and the rest of the interior is built by external suppliers. Design change approval and production adjustments are negotiated long in advance, and changes naturally take long to implement and work through the pipeline.

The main complaint about the current console seems to be the gloss finish, with most people liking the functionality. I haven't seen the new console up close. I spotted one through a window when taking delivery of my Model Y, which hardly counts. I liked the extra line of stitching, but that is a trivial change. If the layout isn't as convenient then it's a net loss.

I'm guessing that the new finish is less friendly to a wrap than the gloss finish. A thought experiment: how much would you pay for an option "Console custom wrap prep -- smooth finish"? When put that way, most here would consider the piano black finish much more desirable.

Last edited: