Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear ended. Need advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8B2A393E-B511-4688-AFC5-A69EF7745EBF.jpeg
8C9BB72B-494E-40EF-9F65-41DD11DC5302.jpeg
B038F375-424C-461F-9DE4-309DBFC87820.jpeg
EB53566C-06EB-48A3-8DB9-A7A697531532.jpeg
D6378119-BB70-4BF6-A5C6-D81E236EC017.jpeg
DA97E257-4970-4954-A94E-033397D4F7B7.jpeg
3AFEBD1D-F68A-47F1-A24E-BDFD27D83CE5.jpeg
E913A6BD-4D65-4C72-910C-E55601642640.jpeg
B401B966-4744-4E98-8BA8-60950DCF97A1.jpeg
8B2A393E-B511-4688-AFC5-A69EF7745EBF.jpeg
8C9BB72B-494E-40EF-9F65-41DD11DC5302.jpeg
B038F375-424C-461F-9DE4-309DBFC87820.jpeg
Hi there everybody. This is my first post and it’s gonna be a sad one. Just looking to get a better understanding of how long I’ll be without my car and guesses on if you think they will total it out or not.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
If there is no damage to the battery or other crucial components this my not be too bad. If there is that damage the car will probably be totaled. Much depends on how old your car is and who your insurer and the insurer of the culprit are.

If it is repaired by a really good shop, either a Tesla SC that does body work or another Tesla-certified shop the good news is that your car may well be as good as new. Do insist that your car receives a full Tesla inspection after reapirs ahve been completed.Make certain that you get a very generous diminished value claim because Tesla will not permit a car that has been in an accident in the CPO program.

Anecdotally, my P3D+ was hit badly when it was five days old. It was not totaled. Once repaired it has been perfect, zero problems. I did get a very generous diminished value claim, so now almost two years later I have zero complaints.

If you're lucky it will be totaled.

• Helpful
Reactions: hcw0818 and jpfive
It’s only a month old. How do I go about getting the diminished claim? I filed one already.
If there is no damage to the battery or other crucial components this my not be too bad. If there is that damage the car will probably be totaled. Much depends on how old your car is and who your insurer and the insurer of the culprit are.

If it is repaired by a really good shop, either a Tesla SC that does body work or another Tesla-certified shop the good news is that your car may well be as good as new. Do insist that your car receives a full Tesla inspection after reapirs ahve been completed.Make certain that you get a very generous diminished value claim because Tesla will not permit a car that has been in an accident in the CPO program.

Anecdotally, my P3D+ was hit badly when it was five days old. It was not totaled. Once repaired it has been perfect, zero problems. I did get a very generous diminished value claim, so now almost two years later I have zero complaints.

If you're lucky it will be totaled.

I don't think it's totaled but there is some significant body work that is going to have to occur to get it back to normal. As for the diminished claim, it will be separate from the insurance claim. It differs from state to state but in my experience, you always have to ask for it.

It’s only a month old. How do I go about getting the diminished claim? I filed one already.
If the rear end is the fault of the other driver then their insurer is on the hook in Ohio:
Ohio Car Accident Settlement Process and Timeline - FindLaw.com
Your insurer might help you with the process, but much depends on which insurer is on the other side. Some are fast and efficient. Were I in your shoes I would immediately ask for a new car with all fees included. You might have good luck. First, talk with your insurer. Second, if that does not help you can get an attorney, but they generally cost a lot. If the insurer who is liable thinks you might fight, they may be better, but if they're a really good one they may be generous. Hint: if you can PM me the names of the insurers I can run a quick check on their Ohio reputation. I have a Cleveland adjuster friend. You can also check those histories yourself online.

Reactions: MikkoJ and KenC
I’m feeling okay physically. Just very frustrated and worried it will be totaled. I bought it outright and have loved it since day one. I contacted Tesla first before anyone so they gave me a shop to take it to.

Good for you. I think you're well on your way. FWIW, I owned and ran a body shop for 13 years, so I'm familiar with the process. You can expect that a certified shop will return your car as good as new. Be patient for now.

Reactions: Watts_Up
You can expect it to take 4+ months before you have it back. Don't believe me though. Search TMC.

And sorry to tell you.

This is certainly possible, but only if non-availability of parts drive it. The repair itself will not be difficult. From your pics there appears to be little damage to crush zones. In any event, this is well within the ability of any competent body repair facility to make right again, and won't take long if parts are available. Again, be patient, and be optimistic.