Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Drift on 2020.8 and 2020.12, AP Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday as I started to use AP on the highway following work the car abruptly slowed from 65 mph to 40 mph before I intervened. The next time this happened, the speed limit changed to 35 mph. I then realized the GPS was slightly off, and it believed I was on a side street.

Later in the day the GPS drifted more, and now it is several miles off. I was on 2020.8, but installed 2020.12 this morning and the problem persists. This essentially renders autopilot non-functional.

I've attempted to power off the car through the safety & security screen, and then followed up with a reboot. This hasn't seemed to fix anything yet.

Check your map location on the car with the map location on your phone (or any other gps device). If they don’t match and you have good satellite line of site (so you know it isn’t using cellular triangulation) then you at least know the government isn’t causing the drift due to some misunderstanding about Trumps declaration of a national emergency yesterday afternoon. They have the capability of doing that but guessing that would cause a ton of news if they did so in today’s gps centric world :)

Likewise.

Mine is showing me driving around off-road. The imagery and vector layers match each other, but don't match the indicator on the map and they don't match the view from the front window. It's simply using the wrong location which, of course, blows up AP or even turn-by-turn directions.

This is dangerous.

I did a hard reset, solved the problem. Disconnect the neg ground on 12 volt battery, lift right rear seat, pull gray connector. Google it. Took 10 minutes at most.

I'm sure it's not difficult, but i think it's concerning that we're all getting the same problem in the first place (even with a temp fix). Seems like it's a new bug that came with 2020.8, maybe it's covid.

This morning the GPS corrected itself as I was leaving my driveway. I’m relieved it fixed itself, but would like to know the root cause.

I was tempted to try powering off and disconnecting the 12v, but I chickened out.