Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS reading incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called support about this three days ago. The navigation in the car shows the car in the wrong location. I drive 35 miles one way to work. It was drifting off a week ago after a software update (also after having the windows tinted). Support got it working but it did the same thing yesterday. Today it is stuck in one position. Anyone else experience this issue? They said after it started working again if it did the same thing again I would have to have the GPS recieved replaced. They stated it is having trouble finding the satalites. They quoted me $1,300 to replace it along with them having to replace the back window so I'd have to go back and get that tinted again.

If the tint has metallic content, it seems like a likely cause.

The described behavior is consistent with a car trying to update position by reckoning in absence of a satellite lock, and a tint with dielectric properties will certainly affect antenna reception.

If that is the problem, removing the tint should solve it, and you may be able to find sorbet one that doesn't have the same effect.

If the tint has metallic content, it seems like a likely cause.

The described behavior is consistent with a car trying to update position by reckoning in absence of a satellite lock, and a tint with dielectric properties will certainly affect antenna reception.

If that is the problem, removing the tint should solve it, and you may be able to find sorbet one that doesn't have the same effect.

I just removed the rear window tint and no luck yet. I have a appointment with the Kansas City Service Center for this Friday where they will just replace the back glass, top brake light, and GPS reciever. I was told that was the only way they can replace the GPS reciever.

I've uploaded some pictures. Where is the GPS antenna in the pictures? I don't see any wires that had any cuts or were not firmly connected.

Attachments

• 20190309_143232_HDR.jpg
    20190309_143232_HDR.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 20190309_143223_HDR.jpg
    20190309_143223_HDR.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190309_143212_HDR.jpg
    20190309_143212_HDR.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190309_143207_HDR.jpg
    20190309_143207_HDR.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 132
Does this help?

That helps immensely. I tried finding a diagram like that and couldn't find one anywhere. Thanks for your help. A redditor had the same issue after getting his back window tinted as well. He found out the GPS reciever got wet from the tint job. I'm starting to suspect the same thing is the cause. I'm at the body shop now. They said they use a third party for the tint so I'll most likely have to get it in writing from Tesla and they'll reimburse me the costs of the repair. They are checking it over right now before sending me home. My service center appointment is this Friday.

Window tint is not the cause of your issue. I've had ceramic window tint for five years on my S and navigation problems only started after updating to version 9. It's the software.

It sounds like at least one person has had the tinting process cause their GPS antenna to be damaged from getting wet with the solution they used to apply the tint. And since it sounds like his failing GPS happened about the same time he got the tint put on that it might be that instead of a software update issue.