TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Graphene promises a better way to power electric cars

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by twinklejet, Jun 9, 2014.

1. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

http://beta.cosmosmagazine.com/physical-sciences/graphene-promises-better-way-power-electric-cars

090614_supercapacitor_1.jpg

Graphene promises a better way to power electric cars

[FONT=proxima_nova]Supercapacitors with big storage capacity could be woven into the fabric of a vehicle. Phil Dooley reports.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=chaparral_pro]The next generation of electric cars may have their power sources neatly woven into the fabric of the chassis or bodywork, rather than heavy batteries that are slow to charge.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=chaparral_pro]Yuan Chen and his team from Nanyang Technical University in Singapore have mixed graphene and carbon nanotubes to make a long, thin fibre, about the thickness of a human hair, that functions as a high power-density supercapacitor. The fibre could be woven into a flexible fabric that could be incorporated into any electricity-hungry gadget.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=chaparral_pro]Supercapacitors, like batteries, can store electricity, soaking up charge on pairs of carbon plates. Unlike batteries, they charge in a matter of seconds and can release all their energy in a huge surge if needed. But their storage capacity is puny compared to batteries. Something that combined the features of supercapacitors and batteries would be revolutionary. “A supercapacitor with energy density comparable with a battery cell is really the holy grail,” says physicist Stephen Bosi from University of New England in New South Wales.[/FONT]
    [FONT=chaparral_pro]In an attempt to create such a supercapacitor, Chen turned to graphene. He ...

[/FONT]
    http://beta.cosmosmagazine.com/physical-sciences/graphene-promises-better-way-power-electric-cars

[FONT=proxima_nova]
    [/FONT]

2. art

art Member

so to replace the batteries, you have to replace the fenders trunk and hood. i wonder what the insurance would cost for that car. bad idea.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Reminds me of the adage. "If it sounds too good to be true...

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Nanotechnology.

If nanotechnology manufacturing could be done cheaply and at scale, a large number of the world's problems would be solved. Until then, move along.

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

The world is lovely, bright and large
    But I have promises to keep
    And miles to go before I charge.

So sorry, Rob't Frost. It's still early this morning - I usually do better in the afternoons....

6. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

#6 Jackl1956, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    PhotoWithDrGeims1-300x225.jpg Photo of Dr. Junbing Yang, Sir Andre Geim, and Phil Roberts at The International Forum on Graphene 2014. Sir Andre Geim is a physicist working at the University of Manchester who was awarded the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on graphene.

brea-2.jpg CalBattery Pilot Production Facility

In terms of battery developments, I felt Elon's recent comments put everything in perspective. "Send us a cell".

That said, anode and cathode development should dovetail into Gigafactory development. That's why I am keenly interested in California Lithium Battery. First, the have licensed graphene developments from the Argonne National Laboratory. Secondly, they are making concrete steps toward producing the technology. Pie in sky? They have my interest, I can monitor their progress locally.

California Lithium Battery | News

7. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Oh no! Another poetry thread!