Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Bar / brake usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I see a green bar I know Tesla is reducing the speed and regenerating the power to the battery.

Sorry for dumb question; To reduce the speed, does it use brakes or reduce the motor speed?

If it’s using brakes, Over time, too much of green bar can wear the brakes?

Thanks

This used to be a much less nuanced answer, but recent software updates have changed this representation. (I am only referencing the 3/Y, I am not sure what happens in the S/X now.)

If you are "one-pedal driving", not touching the brake pedal at all, then 100% of your stopping is due to "engine braking" or "regenerative capture" (green line). If you are on TACC/Autopilot/FSD it could be a combination of both, braking and regenerative stopping.

Some have reported a recent software change shows a thicker gray bar extending beyond the green bar to indicate what portion of your stopping force is coming from the brakes vs the engine.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
@MY1stEV good information, thanks. I may want to turn off the TACC and see what I may lose. Hope I don’t miss out too much. That way, the brakes drying wear off too much.

As I am writing this message, it occurs to me to check my screen on my next drive.

I know the car image on the screen shows All accurate details.

Like, If I push the turn signal, the image in the screen also shows it. So, this time I will want to see if the brake light turns on when there is green bar shows up.

Thanks
C1