TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Greenpeace campaign targeting LEGO and Shell

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Jul 13, 2014.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

#1 gg_got_a_tesla, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    A little off-topic but, here's a Greenpeace-produced video advocating for LEGO to end its partnership with Shell (who are purportedly trying to boost their brand image in children's minds):

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Might be difficult since I assume the plastic LEGO uses is made from oil.

3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

JRP3: I am one of those who is extremely enthusiastic about the use of fossil hydrocarbons in such areas as polymers, whether as plastics or in lubricants. It is in the combusting of these long-sequestered fuels that our likely downfall looms, for reasons all in this forum know. Conversely, making use of active carbon products - vegetable oils, etc - as feedstock for the plastics industry, means we are devoting more cropland for same, increasing both mankind's global footprint as well as performing some kind of crowding-out effect for foodstuffs, with all the social ramifications that entails.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Agree. Main thing is to try to avoid oil combustion. Then oil can also be used for the plastics industry. No problem with that. We only want to decrease CO2 emissions.

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

My main point was that getting LEGO to end their partnership with Shell is a bit of an empty gesture if their business depends on oil. I agree that long lasting uses of oil are much preferred over burning it.

6. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#6 SwedishAdvocate, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  7. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

8. AudubonB

I have this much: | | and no more, sympathy with and support for Greenpeace. I grudgingly concede it is possible that the world might be​ a better place that an organization like Greenpeace exists.

However, unless they swtich over 100% to human-, wind-, or solar-powered vessels for their at-sea antics, I'm calling foul and hypocritical. Sorry to any of you who have more tolerance for them.,

9. SwedishAdvocate

#9 SwedishAdvocate, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Any particular "antic" that you have in mind?

10. SwedishAdvocate

tigerade did the work for me (and I didn't even have to ask him to :wink:):

11. AudubonB

With respect to Tigerade's position, this is in my opinion NOT a tu quoque. Were Greenpeace to be out drilling in the Arctic Ocean and then blasting Shell for doing the same, that would be such an example.

What they do is something far different. They might as well be saying "Thank you, Shell, for providing us the diesel fuel to allow us to roam the seas. Now, stop your drilling!"

What am I missing here?

12. SwedishAdvocate

#12 SwedishAdvocate, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    As I understand it:

For this particular campaign Greenpeace made a movie that aims to prevent Shell from doing to the arctic what BP managed to do to the Mexican Gulf.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it, there is no way to clean up such an oil spill if it gets under the arctic ice sheet.

There’s enough oil to burn elsewhere in order to emit enough CO2 to 'cook' this planet beyond repair without having to also risk permanently wrecking the arctic just ‘for good measure’. (Source: Global Warming's Terrifying New Math | Politics News | Rolling Stone)

13. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I took the video as they need to stop creating Shell legos for kids that promotes destroying the earth by drilling for oil. Its all about eduacting kids on the wrong things through visualization.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Sorry, Audie, but, that's pretty much the "caves and candles" argument that's often thrown at green activists.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

If your solar panels are delivered by a petroleum powered truck should you not have bought them?

16. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

But telling people about all the spills won't stop oil exploration/exploitation. You have to reduce demand.

Let's not forget that basically every single piece of plastic is sourced from oil. As well as our car tires. But if we stop burning the stuff at insane rates we can minimize the areas that are impacted by drilling.

And a little dig at my 'natural' is better friends. Crude oil is 100% natural.

17. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I agree. I guess I didn't explain myself well. I meant that although drilling will still go on from Shell, kids' toys are not the place to promote the company. Children do not need to be seeing those images at such a young age. Instead, I think Lego should make solar panel and windmills Legos, still made from oil, but promoting a sustainable play time.

18. wart

wart Member

Here's a Lego Solar Panel. The Lego Education stuff is a bit harder to get a hold of than the standard toy store products though.

19. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Most of the worlds plastic is produced using natural gases like benzene, ethylene, butene, hexene, etc these days... But we still have to pull it out of the ground and use a boatload of energy to refine it.

20. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

LEGO will not renew it's contract with Shell. yay!

Lego ends partnership with Shell over Greenpeace campaign - CNET

This I like and makes sense:
    And this is just stupid:
    -The first part that is bold is hilarious to think that could happen