Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greg Sorbara - Toronto Star Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving my Tesla in Toronto one winter night took a little strategy and a lot of shivering in the dark | The Star

I looked around and didn't see it posted anywhere else, so I've attached a link. I think you need an account to read the article.

In sum, he left home without charging and only having about 50km of range left (I think some American said this was the equivalent of leaving your home with a gallon of gas in an ICE car).

I think a lot of what he writes can just be chalked up to poor planning and stupidity but my greater concern is that articles like this seem to try to discredit the validity of EVs. While I do agree the winter does have a serious negative impact on range, I don't believe it renders my car useless. In any event, thought I would share. If it has already been posted, I suppose it should be merged.

This whole thing just reinforces in my mind how ridiculous it is to have a car's fuel gauge calibrated in distance units... especially in a Tesla where they do not even attempt to predict range... they just calibrate it from Rated range to zero in a linear fashion instead of full to empty. Just like in a gas car, let the fuel gauge be the fuel gauge and use the car's trip computer to predict actual driving range based on actual conditions. If Sorbara had used the trip computer ("Energy Display" in a Tesla) as he should have know to, all of this could have been avoided.