Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting article in Toronto Star - Claiming FSD crashes higher than reported

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
This article appeared in this morning's Toronto Star. While I LOVE my Tesla, I never felt that that FSD was entirely ready for "prime time". Somehow, I also must believe that many crashes could be attributed to drive non-attentiveness.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 15.27.10.png

People may be trusting it too much. System works well drivers get complacent. Then system bites them in the Ass. Watched video of someone using FSD then taking pictures with his cell phone while on FSD. If the FSD decided to act up there would be no time to react since he was using both hands to hold cell phone

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Not sure how much of the article is accurate but starting from the very first sentence about Tesla publishing the numbers "like clockwork" "every quarter…" That hasn't been true even before this year. Early January 2022, the page was only showing data up to Q2 2021 then later that month it was updated to include all of 2021 data.

Maybe Tesla is only updating it annually now instead of quarterly to avoid people trying to compare numbers between each quarter, which have seasonal effects.

I tried to read a little bit more with the photo's description "crash numbers are far higher than those of similar driver-assistance systems…" presumably referring to NHTSA's Standing General Order on Crash Reporting. The agency explicitly has warnings about doing so:

Why do some companies have many more incident reports than others?​
Use caution when attempting to compare crash data between entities. Reporting entities are required to report only those crashes that they know about…​
Seems like the author is biased and trying to mislead people.

Reactions: Dewg
I tried to read a little bit more with the photo's description "crash numbers are far higher than those of similar driver-assistance systems…" presumably referring to NHTSA's Standing General Order on Crash Reporting. The agency explicitly has warnings about doing so:

Why do some companies have many more incident reports than others?​
Use caution when attempting to compare crash data between entities. Reporting entities are required to report only those crashes that they know about…​
Seems like the author is biased and trying to mislead people.
Lot of Tesla haters out there, or maybe, they just hate Elon and so transfer that hate to the cars.