Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Leather Dye

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a used rear center console, which had the matching matte obeche wood, but not the matching grey leather. Took it to the local upholstery shop, and they tried to find a properly matching leather - without success.

So we decided to take a different route: They used SEM Classic Coat in color "17353 Silver Gray".

I'm not sure, if they added another product on top of the Sliver Grey. But I can confirm that the match is so good, you cannot see a difference to the original grey leather.

They gave me the left-over can, which I can use for potential touch-ups in the future. Hope I won't ever need it, but it's nice to have it handy.

Member ahkahn here on this board is a SEM rep, and was super helpful in answering some questions along the way.

Hope you find this helpful!

Attachments

• 78EE9495-78E8-4FC7-A2EE-D4E32017D681.jpeg
    78EE9495-78E8-4FC7-A2EE-D4E32017D681.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Struja
How close is the color match? My wife had some essential oils spill in her purse, which she then put on the passenger seat of my Model S. I need to re-finish a section of the front seat to fix it. Is the color close enough that I could simply pain the one section, or do you think it would be noticable?

How close is the color match? My wife had some essential oils spill in her purse, which she then put on the passenger seat of my Model S. I need to re-finish a section of the front seat to fix it. Is the color close enough that I could simply pain the one section, or do you think it would be noticable?

Depends on the original color. Most of the time it can be matched nearly identically... That said, you'll need to do some good prep on the surface to remove the essential oils. They will hinder any type of dye or paint adhesion. I can help you out with the right products, if you'd like.

Depends on the original color. Most of the time it can be matched nearly identically... That said, you'll need to do some good prep on the surface to remove the essential oils. They will hinder any type of dye or paint adhesion. I can help you out with the right products, if you'd like.

I have the same light grey leather. Is the SEM Classic Coat 17353 Silver Gray the right one? Is there a need for a topcoat/clear/sealer?

I have the same light grey leather. Is the SEM Classic Coat 17353 Silver Gray the right one? Is there a need for a topcoat/clear/sealer?

My memory isn't serving me whether or not that is the correct color, but I do know the original poster was very happy with his match. There is no need for a topcoat or sealer. It is ready to go as sprayed. The main catch is that there IS a need for the proper prep - SEM Soap and Vinyl/Leather Prep. Two different preps that clean off two different types of soilage. If the substrate isn't prepped properly, it will not adhere and will peel off over time.

The can that I took a picture of is the one that was used for my arm rest.

I agree with ahkahn that prep is essential. In my case it was done by the local upholstery shop. We first tried to find matching leather, and when we couldn't find it, he suggested the SEM solution.

The color match is so close that I cannot see a difference - can you, when you look at the pictures?

Make sure that you give it enough time to dry. It may feel a bit "tacky" for the first few days.

PS: Just saw that you are in San Clemente. Or, as I call it: Paradise. What w beautiful part of California!

Last edited: