Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have free supercharging. Is it free at Gridserve or pay only?

(Not holding breath!)

Supercharging is a brand linked thing ... Tesla. Some people have been using the term in a general way to describe all rapid charging ... "hoovering" even when we use a vacuum cleaner from non Hoover brands. So obviously not free unless a real Tesla Supercharger.

Edit: Some Gridserve Hubs have actual Tesla stalls so those would be free.

Reactions: IanMcL
There are many places where the are no Superchargers, so the Gridserve ones are essential. I think other charger brands (e.g. InstaVolt) appear on the map now as well.

Equally, for a majority of us that pay, they provide a good alternative to sometimes busy Superchargers.
Thanks. I was at Hilton Park North, ladt week and although half the Tesla chargers were empty, there was a Tesla charging in the other chargers. Are they likely to be cheaper than Tesla to use?

That's why I found it strange that a Tesla was plugged in and 100 yards away, a dozen chargers with half available.
People have different reasons. I was at Abington two weeks ago (6 x v2 stalls and 40p/kW off peak) and a new MY was the only vehicle charging 10 yards away at the new Applegreen 170kw stalls (at 79p/kW)

On enquiring he said he was in a hurry and as the Tesla SC v2 shares power with the neighbour he wanted a faster charge. When shared it will not be more than 70kW per vehicle. He said he was getting 120kW draw at the time.

As I was drawing 116kW on the Tesla charger at the time I thought the only thing getting a faster charge was his credit card, but I would do the same if there was a queue.